Refugio-come on

Football from other classifications.
bullfrog1

Re: Refugio-come on

Postby bullfrog1 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:48 am

My team is a running team my thoughts have been in the past that we need to practice throwing the ball in the second half of a lopsided game but i guess this would be looked upon as running the score up.btw i dont beleve in running up the score.

beaver gal

Postby beaver gal » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:23 pm

Catfan64, I think the majority think that it is in poor taste, regardless of breaking a record or not. We understand it's not tee ball, but Refugio seems to forget there is another bunch of young men on the opposing team who already have lost the game, and don't need to be humiliated on top of the loss. I read there were some unsportsmanlike things done by Taft. If this would be an isolated incident (for reasons to prove a point) it might be a bit more understandable, but this is this team's mantra instead of the exception. Ya'll have a target on you for a reason, and it's not necessarily because you are ranked #1.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:24 pm

Its not tee ball but it damn sure is not the NFL OR OU VS TEXAS EITHER!...thats okay all bullies get it in the mouth eventuallly..its called KARMA! The moron is also setting up his own players to be targeted byvfans and other players which in itself is wrong but as u say i guess its not tee ball

ssoriole

Postby ssoriole » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:42 pm

In some ways, I am waiting to see what happens to some of the players when they decide to play college ball.
Gone from the the state but still keeping tabs on the place I covered for over a quaerter-century.

TX22

Postby TX22 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 pm

beaver gal wrote:Good move, Clint. I guess I'm going to have to go over to the 2A and see what's happening.

Lots of Refugio talk too.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:12 pm

I heard Refugio won't drop to 1A even if they have 1A numbers. They are going to elect to continue playing in 2A, at least that is what a Refugio poster said awhile back.

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:57 pm

I still think its up to UIL and not a Refugio choice!And I would think they would want to come down to 1A so they could keep their chances greater for more Championships!Whatever happens ,let it happen we aint scared!

GO BIG C!

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:03 pm

I know ghis much MASON WLD HAVE WHOOPED THEM AND PRETTY CONFIDENT DAWGS WLD HAVW PLAYED W THEM....if not beat them...hell we already seen this yr dawgs beat top ranked cisco..qho many predict will be back at jerrys house..ao bringem on..they may stay in 2A so they can win titles....Lol

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:49 am

catfan64 wrote:
ComancheAlumni06 wrote:Unbelivable and uncalled for is what I call that. No reason the ball should be thrown in the entire second half. Much less in the fourth quarter. And definately should not have a starting QB in with a 60+ point lead. Had to be going for the record. No other excuse. Noone from Refugio would be upset about this of course. But at what cost is it? Now Refugio is labeled by the rest of the state as classless. I know I see it that way.

Now I undestand.. if there were no records and no scores all would be hunky dorey. This ain't Tee ball .

No sir, this would NEVER be ok! And I said that of course no Refugio fans would be upset about this of course. Let me ask you this, What if your QB or some other important starter got hurt later in the game? Ever seen Friday Night Lights? I could easily see that scenario in Refugio.

catfan64

Postby catfan64 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 am

My last post on the subject. Refugio scored 76 against Rivera, nothing said. 77 against Freer, nothing said. 80 against Taft it is a great big problem. Only 3 moore than Freer score. Refugio ran a total of 26 offense plays against Taft, 15 passes...of the 13 completions only 3 were thrown past the line of scrimmage. Taft elected to give Refugio the ball inside their 20 5 times. If we pull offense starters at half they would have had 13 plays at the most for the entire game. This week may be worse than last week and it does not get any better as the schedule goes on. Pull them at half and we run at the most 140 to 150 total offensive plays for 7 weeks. First play off game is against one of if not the strongest district in the state and they have been close games and they play starters the whole game. It is not about the score it is about offense reps. Taft ran 76 plays against us, good work for the defense and starters did not play in the 4th qtr. As Forest would say " That's all I have to say about that"

catfan64

Postby catfan64 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:06 am

Correction .. Refugio had 28 plays. now I am finished.

TX22

Postby TX22 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:14 am

ComancheAlumni06 wrote:
catfan64 wrote:
ComancheAlumni06 wrote:Unbelivable and uncalled for is what I call that. No reason the ball should be thrown in the entire second half. Much less in the fourth quarter. And definately should not have a starting QB in with a 60+ point lead. Had to be going for the record. No other excuse. Noone from Refugio would be upset about this of course. But at what cost is it? Now Refugio is labeled by the rest of the state as classless. I know I see it that way.

Now I undestand.. if there were no records and no scores all would be hunky dorey. This ain't Tee ball .

No sir, this would NEVER be ok! And I said that of course no Refugio fans would be upset about this of course. Let me ask you this, What if your QB or some other important starter got hurt later in the game? Ever seen Friday Night Lights? I could easily see that scenario in Refugio.

I'm a Refugio fan with ties to Woodsboro and Runge but I'm not a homer like some folks that support Refugio. I don't agree with scoring 80 points in a game but a school should be able to run their offense and prepare for the weeks ahead. Unfortunately in this situation, and many others, it's resulted in a lot of points being scored. One thing they have done is spread the ball around to numerous WRs and RBs. In an earlier game this season Refugio had a freshman that lead the team in rushing with 160 yards so it's not like all of the starters are playing the entire game.

How many plays did Refugio run on Friday? Fifteen pass plays and 13 runs for a total of 28 plays. There aren't a lot of opportunities for a team to perfect their offense. Are they scoring easily? Yes, but that's not their fault. They're in possibily the WORST district in the ENTIRE state of Texas. Here's a few scores from this last week in Texas:

63-7
63-9
63-14
74-7
69-12

The argument that Refugio didn't need to score 80 to win the game is absolutely true. So did those teams need to score almost 70, and in one case score 70, to win? No, they didn't. But all those teams play to win. Possibly part of the problem people have is their view on Herring. Some view him a a great motivator ^:)^ , some as arrogant :-t , and I won't get into what other think ~x( .

In the end, it's 11 on offense against 11 on defense. The offense has a job to score and the defense is responsible for stopping them. If the defense has success then scores are respectable. When a team is completely outmanned things like this happen. Savannah State took an 84-0 thumping at the hands of Oklahoma State and if you take away the 33 points they scored against NCCU, they have scored a combines 18 points in their other five game while giving up average of 57 points a game. They just don't have the talent to compete right now and unfortunately for the teams in 16AA D2, they don't either. The only team that has a shot to stay within 50 of Refugio is Banquete and I hope they give Refugio one helluva game.

Comanche, yes I've seen Friday night lights and the knee injury suffered by Miles was unfortunate. I've also seen a guy tear an ACL in practice. It can happen any time, even when you're not in the game. Didn't Marion Rivera tear up a knee shagging fly balls in the outfield? Or Carson Palmer tear an ACL in the early parts of a game? I don't believe that a person should take unnecessary risks, but isn't being on the football field a risk in the first place? Refugio lost #23 to a season ending ACL tear in the 4th quarter of the Edna game when the score was 49-0, on a kickoff. He was the #2 RB with college interest from D1, D2 and NAIA schools from across the country. In that game he'd carried the ball 6 times and was willing to do anything to help his team win, even going down on kickoff coverage to make a tackle. It was an unfortunate injury but how do you tell a kid that he's too valuable to play in a game? How would that make teammates feel? Would they think "oh, he's too good to put in the extra work like we have to"? Injuries happen and they are a part of the game and it's unfortunate for those that sustain them, but like the saying goes sh** happens.

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:16 pm

I played football too. And I can say this, if we were up by 30 or more in the 3rd quarter. We had 2nd stringers in the rest of the game. And we didnt always get 25 or 30 offensive reps. I didnt play offense much. So what happened is i would play offense the rest of the game and other 2nd stringers for defense played D. Everyone got work where it was needed. 80 point games can happen. I understand this. We scored 60 or 70 plus. But it wasnt starters doing it the whole game! And seriously throwing in the 4th quarter? It was uncalled for. Let the running backs run the score up in that case. By throwing your not trying to run out the clock either. At least show sume urgency to run some time off the clock. Thats why this was terrible to me. And why I see a bad legacy appearing in Refugio.

ssoriole

Postby ssoriole » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:43 pm

I posted this on the 2A site but it applies here as well. ----

I know the players are doing what Coach Herring is telling them to do. I just watched the ESPN OTL from last year.

My question is about his comment on conditioning and being ready to play 4 quarters. The part of the state I live in has dozens of 6-man schools and I live 15 miles from perennial state Champ Richland Springs. What is Coach Burkhart doing there to keep his players conditioned when most of his games are over at half or shortly into 3rd quarter because of 45-point mercy rule. I think Herring should talk to some 6-man coaches about conditioning the players.

I can guarantee that the Coyotes and many other 6-man schools can go 4 quarters at any time needed even tho they may have done it 1 or 2 times in a season.
Gone from the the state but still keeping tabs on the place I covered for over a quaerter-century.

spottedspeckledtrout

Postby spottedspeckledtrout » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:32 pm

i don't want to brag about the fc beavers when we won state in 2010 but to make my point

the beavers blew out everybody that year except poth in the 2nd game of the season and in the state semifinals against bremond.. our starters were never in the game past the 3rd quarter except for those 2 games. they did not run out of gas against bremond or windy in the state game, the 2 games they played the entire game.

i would think there are ways to keep ur team in condition without having to play them all 4 quarters, beating teams by 70+ margins

just an excuse by refugio for being classless

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:54 pm

Spot on SST, that's exactly what my take is, no way anybody from Refugio, the coach included, can tell me that an extra qtr of playing what amounts to a flag football game is what is gonna make a difference in the end. You're gonna get conditioning in practice. I agree that practice isn't like a game, well then again when you basically score a TD every time you throw it, practice may be a little tougher. I have no problem with you guys scoring at will in the 4th if your reserves are doing the scoring, but to have your starting Qb throwing TD passes til late in the 4th, man that's just not cool. I just don't understand why any program would want to be viewed as such a villian, you know come playoff time all it does is add more fuel to the fire of opposing teams. Just don't use the conditioning as an excuse.

spottedspeckledtrout

Postby spottedspeckledtrout » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:12 pm

clint, one day we are gonna have to drink a shiner bock

cheers, my friend

b-)

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:38 am

[quote="spottedspeckledtrout"]clint, one day we are gonna have to drink a shiner bock

cheers, my friend

b-)[/quote

Sounds good, a few cold beers overlooking Copano Bay frying up some fresh trout, now that's a plan.

holdtherope

Postby holdtherope » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Not a big Herring fan, but have you read the article, they only had 28 snaps for the entire game and scored 80 points. Also, like an old coach told me one time, "Get Better!!" It's not Refugio's fault that they work at it but with that said it wouldn't hurt my feelings for somebody like Rogers, Schulenburg, or Blanco to "lay the wood" to the Black and Orange!!!

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:29 am

Looks like Rogers gets its shot this week! Go Rogers!

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:30 am

ComancheAlumni06 wrote:Looks like Rogers gets its shot this week! Go Rogers!

Rogers didn't have a defense.

Return to “Other Texas Football”