Refugio-come on

Football from other classifications.
Philo Beddoe

Refugio-come on

Postby Philo Beddoe » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:26 am

Refugio beats Taft 80-0 which is bad enough but their Qb throws 10 td passes, 3 in the 4th qtr. He breaks the record of 9, congrats to him, but really? The bad thing is reading the 2a board the Refugio fans think this is fine. I think it's a shame and would be embarrased if we ever did anything like this, what's your take on this?

santafecomanche

Re: Refugio-come on

Postby santafecomanche » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:41 am

Philo I don't agree with it. Look at it from their side. They have NO competition. District is a practice for them and not a good one. I am no fan of Refugio but there subs could beat every team in that district 80-0. It is still the other teams job to stop them. Would you want to tell your players to half as good as then can to play down to the competition. I don't think so. They are just dealing with what is put in front of them.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:48 am

I know what you're saying, but give the 2nd string Qb some reps, at least 4th qtr.

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:50 am

I hate to see scores like that but it will happen. And no I don't won't kids having to play down, but why schedule non district games with folks you know u are goiong to kick. Jump up and play some 3A schools and give your kids some competition so they can become as good as they should be. I hear where you are coming from Philo. Just my 2 cents.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:51 am

Sooner or later it will come back on them.
Defense wins Championships!

santafecomanche

Postby santafecomanche » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:58 am

Nobody wants to play them! Eagle your are right , ONE day. They have been doing this for a long time. I not sure but I think they would welcome some competition.

lsg13

Postby lsg13 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:23 am

albany has put up 60+ points last 3 weeks we are in a very weak district,sometimes we dont have enough kids for a second team this year we do, they all want to play and score,we only scored one td in 4th qtr on an interception return its good practice but sucks if you are on the other side

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:28 am

lsg13 wrote:albany has put up 60+ points last 3 weeks we are in a very weak district,sometimes we dont have enough kids for a second team this year we do, they all want to play and score,we only scored one td in 4th qtr on an interception return its good practice but sucks if you are on the other side

And i understand that, we've been there many times over the years. The starting Qb throwing 3 td passes in the last qtr is what gripes me, it's like it's all about the records, who cares how bad you humiliate the other team. Ok, i vented and feel better now.

1afootball

Postby 1afootball » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:36 am

Munday got the ball on Perrins one yard line after a muffed punt. Munday just took a knee instead of scoring again. Score was already 62-6 at that point.
We are few, but we are the Mighty Moguls

Munday Moguls, we're with you,
FIGHT ON TO VICTORY

Driftwood

Postby Driftwood » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:46 am

In the last few years Falls City could have done that or worse many times in the district, but played 2nd and 3rd teams in the 2nd half. Many of their district games in those years, the halftime scores were the final scores. Opponents scored on us with less than a minute left in the game, because we let the younger players get deserving PT. No reason to run up the score why not work on field goals. Refugio could set state records in that area if they have a kicker. Come on!

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:03 am

Coach Tucker would not play his starters in the fourth period with a 30 or more point lead!He also would, quick kick on third down and let the 2nd team Defense play !

GO BIG C!

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:06 am

GO BIG C!

D16Fan

Postby D16Fan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:43 am

Bruni had Charlotte 48-6 at the half last night and that's where the score stayed. It's not just about them not being able to stop your first team. There are other kids on the team who should get a shot on the field when it's already a forty point gap that early.

PunchU
Donating Member 16/17

Postby PunchU » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:46 am

Perhaps, some of these teams could start their 2nd and 3rd strings. Bring the 1st teams in the game after the half....

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:10 am

All i can say is Bs..dont give me the competition crap...stamford had 2nd 3rd in most of last night..up 46-0, mundway was up 54-0 on windy at half only scored 1 or twice sdcon half. Called winning w class...that coach will leave when talent is gone and leave the nxt to pick up the pieces...hope cisco gets a rematch and beats their ass. Good coaches get no thrill out of records...or humiliating opponents..mason has been up big as well amd called off dogs early last yr didnt stop them from winning it .....starting qb in the last quarter is a joke and hes risking him getting hurt fr an individual goal instead of a team goal f a state title...

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:17 am

Well Aces that pretty much sums it up for me also, thanks for the post

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:57 am

Hold on to your hat, but I agree with aces. Lol
I would like to see Eastland play Refugio, but I don't think that is possible.

PunchU
Donating Member 16/17

Postby PunchU » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:59 am

I wish we could've played them last year..knocked'em down a peg or two.

punchcat

Postby punchcat » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:39 pm

It's looking like ou might do a Refugio on UT.

cowboyz

Postby cowboyz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:50 pm

I like it, it's bold. Those types of score... 80, 90, and 100+ were not uncommon back in the day. Of course men were men then, not everyone got a trophy, and they sure weren't marrying each other.

ssoriole

Postby ssoriole » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Coach Herring said at the start of the season and his players backed him that the 1 point win over Cisco last year was too close. The Refugio motto this year is "Leave no doubt."

Herring said that he intends to play his starters for 4 qtrs to make sure they are in condition to do it throughout the playoffs. He felt the biggest reason for the 1 point win was his boys got tired in the 4th because they were not in shape to play 4. He only played them 3 qtrs last year and wanted to make sure that did NOT happen this year.
Gone from the the state but still keeping tabs on the place I covered for over a quaerter-century.

PunchU
Donating Member 16/17

Postby PunchU » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:04 pm

I want to say I read that he said the exact same thing last year....

ssoriole

Postby ssoriole » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:17 pm

PunchU wrote:I want to say I read that he said the exact same thing last year....

Last year he said that he would play starters for 3 quarters to make them ready for playoffs, but when Cisco almost beat them, he felt 3 wasn't enough so he wanted 4 quarters this year.
Gone from the the state but still keeping tabs on the place I covered for over a quaerter-century.

PunchU
Donating Member 16/17

Postby PunchU » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Ok, well, 20 years ago we used to run...A LOT! That was our conditioning.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:44 pm

PunchU wrote:Ok, well, 20 years ago we used to run...A LOT! That was our conditioning.

Exactly, just hard for me to buy playing that one extra qtr against a weak team is gonna make a difference.

punchcat

Postby punchcat » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Classy guy, should have given Cisco credit for being a good club, not blame being out of shape redgardless.

ssoriole

Postby ssoriole » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:35 pm

to make it worse, when he was hired, the school board told him, "Whatever you need to get us championships, we will get for you."

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:03 pm

We may all get our wishes in the next two years ,when the uil changes the enrollment numbers!Refugio will probly be in 1a the next time!They missed it by 6 kids this last around!And yes I to wish Shiner would play Refugio one time or another,We have missed it 5 or 6 times when we were both in the same classifcation ,but for some reason we always miss the chance!

GO BIG C!

comanchehill

Postby comanchehill » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:33 pm

I too have watched Refugio do this to weaker teams for years now and to be honest, I would like the Coach to explain to me why he strays away from playing 3A and even 4A schools. Why doesn't he play teams such as Falls City, Shiner, Ganado in the lower classifications. We have some decent 2A teams around this area as well. Hallettsville, Schulenburg, Rice Cons. How about playing a few of these teams instead of facing weaker opponents by staying South? I mean what does he have to lose. Apparently they can put 80 points on an opponent. So go North and try to put 80 on a few of these teams.

beaver gal

Postby beaver gal » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:52 pm

I thought practice was for conditioning? I do not agree with humiliating another group of kids, no matter how good you are. How about teaching his kids a little humility instead of embarrassing these lesser talented teams? What are these players really learning when applied to life's lessons? Absolutely nothing positive.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:02 pm

..my understanding is no one likes him and he wont play decent comp because hes scared and a CS..he may get out coached by a team w less talent..is pretty much it

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:29 pm

ssoriole wrote:to make it worse, when he was hired, the school board told him, "Whatever you need to get us championships, we will get for you."

Kinda like, "We need a stud wr, let's hire Lynx Hawthorne's dad from Weimar, issue solved".

bigtank05

Postby bigtank05 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:49 pm

when lexington beat them that year they were exhausted from playing weaker competition. sometimes it works in other teams favor. texas tech coach said we was not letting off the gas at halftime against west vriginia. i can recall 04 and 05 mart teams having so much talent for a 2a. 6'6, 6'5, and 6'3 receivers. superman qb at 6'2 195 with a cannon and 4.4 speed. and all of them where real athletes with all the tools. big offensive line. talent, talent talent. nobody would play them. they ran throw district and playoffs until facing pewitt in the quarterfinals. pewitt beat them 2 years straight and they ran out of gas. didnt play on the level they could cause it was a cake walk and didnt have to play pass half time. sometimes it works in their favor and sometimes it comes back to hunt a team. youtube roddy green and you seen what im talking about.

blue raven

Postby blue raven » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:25 am

Refugio as you know is 2-A they do play some 3-A schools,and beat them,what do you think would happen if the played Shiner or Falls city? same thing I amagine

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:18 am

Eagle 1 wrote:Sooner or later it will come back on them.

They played Lago Vista, Ingleside, and Edna. All teams I thank are good but not as good as they were last year.

A1 EAGLE
Donating Member 16/17

Postby A1 EAGLE » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:48 am

Classless to say the least. I do not understand why anyone regardless of classification would play them at all except the ones in their district who have no choice in the matter. Half a season without a game would be intresting to say the least. When the next realignment comes around things would get tight. What do other teams have to gain in playing them anyway? You tell me. JMO.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:18 am

punchcat wrote:Classy guy, should have given Cisco credit for being a good club, not blame being out of shape redgardless.

Exactly.

catfan64

Postby catfan64 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:15 pm

punchcat wrote:Classy guy, should have given Cisco credit for being a good club, not blame being out of shape redgardless.

He did NOT blame being out of shape for anything. He did say when two great team play each other the game should end up like that game did. Anyone could win until last seconds of the game. He also said we were ahead by a good margin and Cisco came back and almost beat us and that is what great teams do.

You can see all of the whining about high scores on last years forum and this year's too, same people saying same thing. We prepare for every game like it's a championship game, no matter who the opponent is. If we move to 1A in two years we will still prepair and play the same way. Refugio has a premire program and remember we are the smallest school in our district. We don't need to step down.. other teams need to step up.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:22 pm

See how you get new members on this site, start a thread about Refugio, lol.

punchcat

Postby punchcat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:29 pm

catfan64, I understand your logic, but when your up 70+ pts. in 4th qtr. I would assume you got the game in hand; call off the dogs quit chunking the ball and let the backups play.

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Welcome aboard Refugio player!We all know that your program is good ,but show respect to your opponet!Cause not everyone has been blessed like Refugio year in and year out!And good luck on your season but remember that its not much fun when your getting beat 80 to 0 by the # 1 team in the state!

GO BIG C!

catfan64

Postby catfan64 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:48 pm

punchcat wrote:catfan64, I understand your logic, but when your up 70+ pts. in 4th qtr. I would assume you got the game in hand; call off the dogs quit chunking the ball and let the backups play.

2nd bunch D was in for entire 4th qtr.( if we have a 2nd bunch) Timeing, timeing, timeing, makes you better. Throw, throw , throw makes better timeing. We elected not to return any punts and Taft went for it on 4th and long all but 2 times and gave us the ball on their 30 and shorter. Terrible game plan. Run the ball, milk 25 second clock and play hard is the way to keep the score down. During the game all of our players are put it, all can play about the same. Not much else to say, we are a small school with a giant heart.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Actually, playing better competition makes you better.
That's why it was only a 1 point victory in the state game, they finally faced a good team.

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:56 pm

I hear what u are saying ,But my coach back about 30 years ago would quick kick on third down and do not throw the ball so the clock would keep running all the time!Hell play defense and let them try and work on their offense!

GO BIG C!

catfan64

Postby catfan64 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:03 pm

BIG C FAN wrote:Welcome aboard Refugio player!We all know that your program is good ,but show respect to your opponet!Cause not everyone has been blessed like Refugio year in and year out!And good luck on your season but remember that its not much fun when your getting beat 80 to 0 by the # 1 team in the state!

GO BIG C!

Thanks for the welcome.. I am not a player or coach but I love the Bobcats. I also am a fan of the Woodsboro Eagles and am imperssed by the 1A legends in the region, lots of great tradition. Frankly most of if not all the 1A schools in this area would give us better games than our district and very well could take us to the max. Hope you have a great season.

beaver gal

Postby beaver gal » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Good move, Clint. I guess I'm going to have to go over to the 2A and see what's happening.

punchcat

Postby punchcat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:49 pm

head on over there beaver gal, i'll stick around 1A where you win with class and you lose with class.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:09 pm

beaver gal wrote:Good move, Clint. I guess I'm going to have to go over to the 2A and see what's happening.

Believe me, if they make the move down to 1a this board will double in members

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:44 am

Unbelivable and uncalled for is what I call that. No reason the ball should be thrown in the entire second half. Much less in the fourth quarter. And definately should not have a starting QB in with a 60+ point lead. Had to be going for the record. No other excuse. Noone from Refugio would be upset about this of course. But at what cost is it? Now Refugio is labeled by the rest of the state as classless. I know I see it that way.

catfan64

Postby catfan64 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:37 am

ComancheAlumni06 wrote:Unbelivable and uncalled for is what I call that. No reason the ball should be thrown in the entire second half. Much less in the fourth quarter. And definately should not have a starting QB in with a 60+ point lead. Had to be going for the record. No other excuse. Noone from Refugio would be upset about this of course. But at what cost is it? Now Refugio is labeled by the rest of the state as classless. I know I see it that way.

Now I undestand.. if there were no records and no scores all would be hunky dorey. This ain't Tee ball .

Return to “Other Texas Football”