Quay Stokes - Hawley 4 Year Starter Hits 10,000 Yards

Home of the toughest football in Texas
HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:23 pm

How Bout This Young Man !!!!

Congratulations to a great kid and the teams that helped him get there....

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

:-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd
Prayers For Our Hurricane Victims, Prayers of Health and Recovery For Casey @ Refugio **== **== **== **== **==

Eagle 1
Administrator

Re: Quay Stokes - Hawley 4 Year Starter Hits 10,000 Yards

Postby Eagle 1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Nice, that's some elite company.

:YMAPPLAUSE:
Defense wins Championships!

PurplePunch
Donating Member 16/17

Postby PurplePunch » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:45 am

Great news! Dedication to his craft, toughness, and skill. Glad he’s back!

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:22 am

More info on Quay Stokes...

I could not post this before as his dad and I decided not to share this with the world when this happened...

The doctor told Quay's dad and mom on Saturday morning when they found out that he had broken his leg the night before in the first quarter of the game.... He told them that his leg was broken 'so well' that it would heal without any help or need for anything in about 10 to 12 weeks, but he told them that if he wanted to play football again this year he would need surgery and a plate to support that bone...

He basically told them and guaranteed them that he could have Quay back on the field in FIVE weeks... He told them that he could do the surgery the next morning on Sunday and as soon as the wound healed he would have Quay in the pool running and working to strengthen that leg and told Quay that the harder you work out the sooner you will get back on the field...

He has been working out like a man possessed and it has paid off as he made it back on the field in FOUR weeks to the day...

Total Commitment....

Friday a week ago they looked at x-rays of his leg, and as far as the break, you cannot tell that it was ever broken, with the exception of the plate and seven screws.

Here is a shot of his leg again...
Attachments
Quay - Broken Leg.jpg
Quay - Broken Leg.jpg (71.28 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Prayers For Our Hurricane Victims, Prayers of Health and Recovery For Casey @ Refugio **== **== **== **== **==

footballmania

Postby footballmania » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:41 am

Just amazing that :)

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:16 pm

[quote="HawleyRocks"]More info on Quay Stokes...

I could not post this before as his dad and I decided not to share this with the world when this happened...

The doctor told Quay's dad and mom on Saturday morning when they found out that he had broken his leg the night before in the first quarter of the game.... He told them that his leg was broken 'so well' that it would heal without any help or need for anything in about 10 to 12 weeks, but he told them that if he wanted to play football again this year he would need surgery and a plate to support that bone...

He basically told them and guaranteed them that he could have Quay back on the field in FIVE weeks... He told them that he could do the surgery the next morning on Sunday and as soon as the wound healed he would have Quay in the pool running and working to strengthen that leg and told Quay that the harder you work out the sooner you will get back on the field...

He has been working out like a man possessed and it has paid off as he made it back on the field in FOUR weeks to the day...

Total Commitment....

Friday a week ago they looked at x-rays of his leg, and as far as the break, you cannot tell that it was ever broken, with the exception of the plate and seven screws.

I remember seeing him play , I think his first start. Hawley came Stamford and he took a beating,Stamford was loaded, but the young man didn't quit, and payed a good game. I told myself that night that this kid was gonna be special

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:43 pm

Friday Night Five: Hawley’s Quay Stokes is a football cyborg

THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF RESULTS EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT DURING FOOTBALL SEASON, BUT WE'LL SPOTLIGHT FIVE EACH WEEK THAT MADE HEADLINES.

October 7, 2017
Max Thompson

We’re pretty big fans of Hawley QB Quay Stokes at DCTF.

http://www.texasfootball.com/friday-nig ... ll-cyborg/

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4109103/quay-stokes

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/sp ... 106374680/
Attachments
Quay-1024x576a.jpg
Quay-1024x576a.jpg (104.41 KiB) Viewed 196 times

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:10 pm

Glad to hear that Mr. Stokes is back on the field. Congratulations on the achievement. I hope he has one heck of a final ride this senior season.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:20 pm

Broken ankle can't halt Hawley QB Stokes' pursuit of milestone

Brandon McAuliffe, Special to the Reporter-News
Oct. 7, 2017

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 743267001/

HAWLEY - A month ago, Hawley senior quarterback Quay Stokes’ season was over — just 274 yards shy of joining the 10,000 total yards club when he broke his ankle in the Bearcats 34-21 season-opening win over Munday.

The injury seemingly ruined his chance to be the second quarterback in as many years to achieve the feat, after Levelland’s Nick Gerber did last season.

Stokes had surgery to insert seven screws just days after the Sept. 1 injury, but someone forgot to tell him that was going to be the end of his high school career.

Remarkably, exactly one month after surgery, Stokes returned to the field Friday night and hit 10,000 career yards with just under nine minutes to play on a 20-yard completion to Jayce Hardee in Hawley’s 28-0 win over Seymour.

“God had a plan for me to come back and help the Hawley Bearcats to a win over a good Seymour Panthers team,” Stokes said. “There was never a doubt in my mind that I was going to come back and get that (career) achievement, but it’s a team achievement. I couldn’t have done it without my coaches and teammates.”

For Hawley coach Mitch Ables, and the entire Hawley coaching staff, seeing the senior quarterback get a career milestone was important. Stokes was a major part of the Bearcats plans on Friday.

“The thing about Quay is you can call a pass play and he’ll pull it down and take off and make something happen,” Ables said. “He definitely makes us look good sometimes. (The coaches) were telling me how close he was and I just wanted to play the game and knew he would make it happen.”

Stokes, meanwhile, wanted to deflect the attention to his offensive line that has three cousins on it — Tate Thompson, Coby Adkins and Bo Thompson. The trio was happy to have played a part in the big night for Stokes.

“It was the greatest thing in the world and this team loves him,” said freshman Bo Thompson. “He knows how to play. It was a big punch when he went down, but all we could do was keep on going.

Added Adkins, a senior: “It’s a special thing to block for my own family. He is a special player and is athletic and led us to this win. He loves this team, this is his family and he will do anything for us. I knew he was going to be back before the season was over.”

Friday night, Stokes didn’t look like someone who had missed a month of action as he completed 21 of 25 passes for 271 yards and ran for 61 yards. He threw for two touchdowns and ran for two more.

Stokes defied all odds in even being back on the field as quickly as he was as broken bones typically take six weeks at a minimum to heal, and the original prognosis called for the senior to miss as many as three months.

Instead, he set his goal at the time of the injury to be back in time for the Seymour game.

Tate Thompson, a sophomore, knew that timeline was important to his older cousin.

“It’s been a lifetime experience I’ve wanted to have since he was starting as a freshman,” Thompson said. “I’m so excited he came back and did such a great job. We were supporting him the whole way.”

Ables also knew that getting back was important to his signal caller.

“He missed it,” he said. “When we had it in the bag, he told me ‘I missed it,’ and you have to love that kid. He’s all effort all the time, and he did everything he could to get back when he did. After the operation, he penciled this date in and it's good for us because he gets one under his belt before district.”

While Stokes’ on-field leadership had been missing for the last month, he never missed a beat behind the scenes when the crowds weren’t around.

“Even when he was out, he was in film sessions coaching people up,” Ables said. “The thing about him is when you put him on the field, it’s like having another coach on the field. We are blessed to have him back.”

Football Face
Donating Member 16/17

Postby Football Face » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:14 am

Wow. Amazing. He's like wolverine.

Razorback
Boss

Postby Razorback » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:20 am

That determination will ensure he does well in life. His future is bright and to work that hard to get back on the field shows his heart. Awesome Job!!!

OskeeWowWow

Postby OskeeWowWow » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:24 am

Very impressive.

I wonder how many 2A QBs have thrown for 10k+?

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:34 pm

OskeeWowWow wrote:Very impressive.

I wonder how many 2A QBs have thrown for 10k+?

Not 10K passing - 10K passing and rushing, still impressive non the less.

All-Time Passing leaders with over 10K passing
​​14,408 – HUNTER LILE, Booker, 2011-14
14,223 – TRAVIS QUINTANILLA, Refugio, 2010-13 played in then 2A
13,111 – NICK GERBER, Levelland, 2014-16
12,631 – MICHAEL EVERETT, Odem, 2013-16
12,534 – GARRETT GILBERT, Lake Travis, 2006-08
12,532 – GRAHAM HARRELL, Ennis, 2000-03
12,183 -- DREW TATE, Baytown Lee, 1999-02
11,951 – SHELTON EPPLER, Navasota, 2013-15
11,762 -- G.J. KINNE, Canton, 2003-05; Gilmer, 2006
11,633 – DERRICK PONDER, Iowa Park, 2012-13; Bells, 2014-15
10,723 – RYAN POLITE, DeSoto, 2007-10
10,475 – CASE McCOY, Graham, 2006-09
10,429 – KYLER MURRAY, Allen, 2012-14
10,136 -- PHILLIP DAUGHERTY, Bridgeport, 2000-02
10,118 – JASON SHELLEY, Frisco Lone Star, 2013-16
10,094 – BRETT GILCHRIST, Caldwell, 2012; Whitney, 2011; 2013-14
10,194 – ZACH SMITH, Grandview, 2012-15
10,046 -- CHANDLER DANE, Decatur, 2002-04
10,039 – HUNTER TAYLOR, Whitehouse, 2008-1

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Hawley's Stokes joins 10,000 yard club

By: Brianne Welch
Oct 11, 2017

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sport ... /833058387

October 11th, 2017 - Hawley quarterback Quay Stokes broke his ankle the first week of the season. He was given a certain timeline of when he'd return, but he didn't like the timeline, so he made a goal. He was going to play by the Seymour game, and that was earlier than even coach Ables anticipated.

Mitch Ables said, "You know he's one of those kids that if he puts his mind to something, I think he willed that bone to heal faster than it should have."

Stokes said, "The hard part was just waiting for the bone you know? Because there's nothing you can do besides that, and you know God blessed me with, I guess bones that grow a little faster than normal."

Blessed, and Quay has a special grit and drive. After he broke his ankle against Munday he continued to play in that game, and Friday night against Seymour, just five weeks later, he felt great.

Stokes said, "It felt fine. Nothing too bad, nothing I couldn't just tough out a little bit."

Quay reached another milestone in his career here at Hawley here on Friday night when he joined the 10,000 yard club. Now if you know anything about Quay, you know what a team oriented focused player he is. Now that's not just something he says, that's really who he is, so much so that he didn't even realize when he got his 10,000th yard.

Stokes said, "People just kept coming up high fiving me, and I was just like, hey we got more games, it was just a touchdown. We need to get plenty more of those, and then they were like, no you got your 10,000. I was like, oh."

Ables said, "It is pretty neat. He's the first one I've had that's done that, so that was a pretty neat deal, and you know you think back to four years ago when he was just a freshman, and he was throwing passes on Friday."

Quay's a senior now, and has at least four games to add to that total. District starts this week against Forsan.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 pm

Built Ford Tough Player of the Week

Week 6 - 2A

Quay Stokes
QB/FS
Hawley
2017 Week 6 Player of the Week - 2A

http://playeroftheweek.com/mobile/Default.aspx

What is neat about Quay winning this award again, I am told that with him winning it a third time, he has won it more than any other player to date. One thing for sure is that it has been a media circus at Hawley this week. I do hope that we have actually practiced some... Ha Ha

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Return to “2A Texas Football”