Who is best in 2A? still Refugio or???

Home of the toughest football in Texas
Blackshirt

Who is best in 2A? still Refugio or???

Postby Blackshirt » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:09 pm

I dont know really here. Refugio still looked awefully good in the loss. Ok here goes 1Mason 2Mart 3 Tenaha 4 Refugio 5Muenster also Albany could be somewhere in there.

Football Face
Donating Member 16/17

Re: Who is best in 2A? still Refugio or???

Postby Football Face » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:34 am

Blackshirt wrote:I dont know really here. Refugio still looked awefully good in the loss. Ok here goes 1Mason 2Mart 3 Tenaha 4 Refugio 5Muenster also Albany could be somewhere in there.

Going to be hard to argue this list. I would like to think Deleon can mix it up with these guys also. They score in a hurry, are balanced, and play a good D. But that's just the homer in me talking. Like I said hard to argue this list.

uncle

Postby uncle » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:13 am

Refugio
Mart
Albany
De Leon
Mason
Abernathy
Muenster
Crawford
Tenaha didn't look as strong as Mart against common opponent
MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:23 am

I don't think Refugio is there yet, but I believe they will be pretty good by the time the playoffs come around. I also like Mason, Mart, and after Friday night, DeLeon needs to be mentioned in this conversation. I believe we will see either a Refugio/Mart or Mason/Mart State Championship in Division 1
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

PurplePunch
Donating Member 16/17

Postby PurplePunch » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:42 pm

Some Centerville folks have already awarded the ball to Mart - “on another level this year”, but I’m guessing the DeLeon folks want to go ahead and play it out. Region 1 - holy smokes, the district with Abernathy, New Deal, Sundown and someone else all undefeated looks salty. Lots of Region 3 saying San Augustine is the most talented team out there in years. Then region 4...
Lots of good football yet to be played. This is gonna be a fun year!

Doremonger

Postby Doremonger » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:45 pm

Agree with Uncle. Albany looking surprisingly strong this year. Would be nice to see Denny Faith add the one trophy to the case that has eluded his outstanding career.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:53 pm

Mason is looking very legit and I am thinking they might win it all.

retchbh

Postby retchbh » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:25 pm

Until someone in 2A beats Refugio, they are still the best.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:56 am

I believe Refugio is still the team to beat. I think we will play a very good Mason team in the regional finals, again, and they will close the gap some, but Refugio still advances.
I say that for two reasons: 1) That's my team and I will always pull for them and 2) Refugio will be more battle-tested than Mason.
I anticipate Mart playing Refugio for the title.

There's a couple of other teams that will be in the mix, but I honestly think this is a 3 team race this year. I don't see anyone on the left side of the bracket beating Mart, nor anyone on the right side beating Refugio or Mason.

M3B

Postby M3B » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:31 am

Agreed
Refugio/Mason
Mart/ Deleon

Wildcatfan

Postby Wildcatfan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:59 am

Think you have Mart coming from the left, Mason or Refugio from the right. For some reason I'm leaning towards Mason.

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:34 am

I realize that Mason looks improved but the fact that Refugio has really put the clamps down on running teams makes me lean towards the Bobcats. Ever since Refugio has implemented the new defensive scheme that really emphasizes stopping the run they have done so. Even this year against good running teams in Goliad and Edna and even though Navarro had 245 yards rushing almost 80 of that came on 2 carries. You avg. out the additional 40 something carries to yardage and they did a pretty good job plus shutting out a team like Navarro in the second half is pretty good as well. You also add int he fact that one of their best lineman just moved back and that will really help that DL. On offense I think by game 13 that the sophomore QB will be very comfortable and that will help. Plus the next few weeks against some inferior opponents should help give confidence to the running game.

tlbredemeyer

Postby tlbredemeyer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:04 pm

We'll worry about that in December. This is 2A football - one injury can move a #1 team out of the top ten.
One week at a time.

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:09 pm

I didn't know that us message board posters could affect a game? Ok, we won't talk about it anymore. Let's talk about only the impending blowouts that teams like Mason, Mart, and Refugio will give out to most of their district. That is way more fun.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:13 pm

I agree that Refugio has certainly found an effective recipe for defending run-based offenses. But, I will point out that Mason is a much more diverse offense this year. They are a true passing threat team. I was at the Mason/Comfort game and I was very impressed with the Mason QB and his accuracy. In fact, the first half of that game was filled with mostly designed rollouts, timing routes and a single-back backfield. Woffort (I think that's how you spell the QB's name) was very effective and throws a good ball. I'm assuming Mason understands you will have to pass the ball effectively in order to eliminate Refugio, and that's what they're working on.
On that night, Mason did what they wanted to. Comfort could not stop the pass or the run.
That why I say that I can see the gap closing between Refugio & Mason this year. But, I still think the Champs have a little bit more than Mason does. On top of that, the strength of schedule will be beneficial. Refugio has already played in two games where they have trailed, and three games where the opponents had equal or greater size lineman in most cases. In addition, Weimar, Yorktown and Shiner are much better and stronger district opponents than Harper and Sabinal in my opinion. Refugio will be more battle-tested come week 14.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:19 pm

And yes, one injury to the wrong player changes things drastically. But, this is also an area where I think Refugio has an advantage on the other contenders. They have solid depth at all positions. Hopefully, all the teams are healthy through the end of the season and the playoff games feature teams that are at, or near, full strength. Very unlikely in the game of football however.

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:17 pm

After 5 straight shut outs of 56 to 77 points scored refugio wins 47 to 10 over santa gurtrudis. Defense and offense are not as good as 2016 so far. With that said mason developing a pass game also have to give region 4 to mason. Mart and mason will be a good state title match. So 1 mason 2 mart 3 refugio

Mowdy Ag

Postby Mowdy Ag » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Blackshirt wrote:After 5 straight shut outs of 56 to 77 points scored refugio wins 47 to 10 over santa gurtrudis. Defense and offense are not as good as 2016 so far. With that said mason developing a pass game also have to give region 4 to mason. Mart and mason will be a good state title match. So 1 mason 2 mart 3 refugio

This may prove to be true. However, the first point presumes that the quality of the Santa Gertrudis team's performance (in additional to other variables) is static year-to-year. That is unlikely. The second point: the development of a Mason passing game (along with an apparently very stout defense) may be a better indicator of the threat to Refugio's Region 4 dominance.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Mason is the real deal this year.
Defense wins Championships!

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:07 pm

After squeaking out a 24-20 victory against Refugio 3 seasons ago, Mason has been handled 42-7 and last year 28-7, with both of those scores occurring on the final possessions of the games by Mason. I can understand that a passing game is being developed to make them a more versatile and balanced threat. But, to me the difference between these two teams has taken place in the trenches. And in my opinion, Refugio still holds a sizeable advantage here again, on both sides of the line. If I am correct, the passing game factor will come down to which QB will have more time, less pressure, and convert accurate throws. Let's also not forget that Mason is not the only team that has become more diverse offensively. Last year, the Bobcats lined up primarily in a power I. This year, they are multiple/I & spread and slinging the rock about 60% of the time.
I'll also save everyone lots of speculation by clarifying that Refugio's defense is not as good as last year's. But, heck who's team is?
A lot will happen between now and that Wednesday(!) in December, but as of now I'm still predicting Refugio and Mart.

H.TIGFAN

Postby H.TIGFAN » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:35 pm

State - Semis

MART OVER STRATFORD
REFUGIO OVER SAN AUGUSTINE

REFUGIO OVER MART

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:57 pm

Refugio still has a long way to go. IMO they were pretty uninspired against Santa Gertrudis last night. Fumbles, missed assignments, penalties, all led to a less than stellar performance. I expected them to really dominate SGA after the good showing against Geronimo Navarro, but that did not happen. SGA played tough, even though they were outmatched talent wise. If Refugio does not get considerably better, Mason will handle them easily.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

Puncher Pride

Postby Puncher Pride » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:21 pm

Mason will have issues with Refugio size, because we aren't as big this year but our defense is faster than any we have had in the past. Our LBer core is legit and we have two safeties who have played a lot of ball. DL isn't as big as some years but again, we have more speed than years past and they get after it. If anything, we are built on defense to defend the spread better than Refugio's power game from last year. We are also deeper at RB than we have been since 2014 and Wofford is a legit threat to run as well. I know 51 is a beast and we will have problems with him just like we did Mascarro. The teams that have truly shut Mason down in the past though have had outstanding LB play. Stafford from Shiner, #20 from Canadian and Herring. Wofford is very accurate and has a better arm than any QB we've had in recent memory, and the kid is growing with each snap. He's just a Jr and had to learn a completely different system when he got here. We also have a much better WR core than we've had in years past. I have no clue if Mason can get by Refugio this year but this team is humming right now, although the competition isn't great. Teams are hardly getting first downs against this defense, much less scoring. I just hope we stay healthy and get a chance at the champs, then let the chips fall where they may. And even if we did somehow get by Refugio then we would have to best Region 3 and maybe the best team in the state, Mart.

ManInBlack

Postby ManInBlack » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Punchers should be the Region IV favorite this year, said that the week after last year’s title game. Refugio not the same as the last few years.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Last night was the first time I have seen Refugio, since the first scrimmage against Mathis and San Diego. They looked much better in that scrimmage than they did last night. I'm worried about Refugio's psyche. I've been watching Refugio football since the late 60's, and I don't recall a more uninspired performance than I saw last night. That is not like Refugio. They are normally very inspired, and ready to play every game. I just wonder if maybe these kids have been through so much, that football is not a priority. I guess we will see what happens in the next few weeks. Maybe I'm reading too much into one game.

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:39 am

Refugio psyche might just be wearing down wn. Been thru so much. Maybe the unstable housing situation or unstable school situation might just be taking its toll. Hard to focus for that long. Plus injury hurts. Proud of them actually its alot for 14 to 18 year olds to take in. Many have to worry about family problems as well. Parents not having jobs to go to and often these kids worked some to help out. I read about Jacobe Avery working a shift right before the hurricane at burger king. He said he didnt want to miss the shift because his family needed the money. Well when i was there last week Burger king was gone. Trickle down effect really is just so hard on everything in this town. Really feel for these kids.

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:33 am

Conversely, when I talk to the kids they all tell me they feel an added motivation. Football is their outlet, and it's also true for the town. As I mentioned previously, this Bobcat team is playing for something much greater than themselves.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:35 pm

4Gata wrote:Conversely, when I talk to the kids they all tell me they feel an added motivation. Football is their outlet, and it's also true for the town. As I mentioned previously, this Bobcat team is playing for something much greater than themselves.

That's good to hear. We'll see in the next few weeks how much they improve. They do have some talent. Jared Kelley throws the ball extremely well. He threw some great passes last Friday. He has a very good group of receivers, no one is really outstanding, they all are just very good. Armonie Brown is the most dominant DL I have ever seen at Refugio. He can disrupt everything on the offensive side of the ball. Defense looks good. They just need to clean things up.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:11 am

Abernathy
Deleon
Groveton
Refugio

PurplePunch
Donating Member 16/17

Postby PurplePunch » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:46 am

oldtimer wrote:Abernathy
Deleon
Groveton
Refugio

Your four Region winners, right? A couple of unconventional picks - can you share your reasoning?

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:43 pm

That list of of region winners is wayyyy off. Abernathy yes maybe refugio thas it.

tackleewe

Postby tackleewe » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:01 am

I am gonna reply to initial post...whose tops. Well i may be only one who has watched all the front runners: mart, refugio, and mason. It was a 2017 bucket list. 3 completely different teams. Whose best...its a pick 'em!!! Mart- great speed, can score any second. Qb is impressive. Can run and throw. Very, very fast, offensively. Defensively, need some work. Yes, their defense is very good, compared to 2016 Refugio, not in the same class and it may hurt them down the road. Too many individual stops without group help. Their weak point, they dont have enough kids. Gonna get beat up. Mason/refugio speed and physicallity will limit them. At this level, its too hard to outscore a team like refugio/mason. All they gotta do is stop a couple of times. Very strong and fast but i bet they give up some big plays down the road.
Then mason /refugio-nobody wants to talk about it now but myself and 'blackshirt' i guess will. Blackshirt shirt speaks his mind reguardless, right or wrong. Gotta love it. Mason has a 'reckoning' on the horizon. This game WILL be played and should be game of the decade.
Can Refugio win? After being the best defense in decades, losing tons to graduation, there is really only one direction to go, down. They are not as good. But all you gotta do is look at their defensive front, brown / tagle plus..yes their strong. Yes upfront they are as good. Their offense rarely skips a beat. Huge line, huge backs, speed, experience, diverse, coaching... Not as good as last yr but who could be. They have man-handled mason the last two yrs, really 3 yrs but mason took advantage of a few mistakes in 14, shouldnt have won but did. So has refugio digressed enough to give mason a chance?
Mason-very much improved!! Sr dominated with some choice help from youth. Defensively, could be the best in state. VERY fast to the ball but some first level secondary issues. Tackle and aggression. Not big. Front seven, speed kills. They have bigger guys but going with faster guys, aggressive guys and deep. Many subs with no let down. Very aggressive!!! Offensively have improves all over. Smaller up front, not as experienced, weakest point. Lots of scrambling. Skilled positions are the most improved...backs(5 that can score anytime), qb just jr but second yr and growing, recievers that catch it!! One problem: backs dont block!! Ever!
All this said, Mart will make it to the final..easily. Shouldnt have any issues. Too fast. Secondly, refugio will play mason again for reg.final!! Who wins? The question you have to ask is this: has refugio digressed enough to give mason an opportunity or has mason improved enough to win against a DYNASTY TEAM? Like I said Mason does have a 'Reckoning' but dont think its enough. Today, i gotta take refugio!!
Final: refugio rolls by 7 over mason!! 24 over mart in final...imo

M3B

Postby M3B » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:42 am

Who did you watch these teams play?

PunchFan

Postby PunchFan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:48 am

tackleewe thanks for your opinion on these great teams! I believe you are dead on with Mart and Refugio. I do disagree with you and the backs not blocking. Mason Punchers' running backs block very very well all the way to the third level. Why do you think they have so many rushing yards? Good blocking? Not to mention the defense Mason has played have not been push overs. Iraan? Hawley? Even Ballinger had a heck of a D-line. Ballinger had some great athletes! The kicker was that Mason had great blocking from the line and our backs. QB had plenty of protection to survey the field and find the open receiver. Its way too early to be talking post season games right now, but if I had to make a prediction right now obviously its Mason over Refugio by 14. Punchers defense is too fast and strong for the cats. Again lots of football to be played.

OskeeWowWow

Postby OskeeWowWow » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:56 am

There is nothing better than people making matter-of-fact statements without seeing all the teams involved. I love it.

Puncher Pride

Postby Puncher Pride » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:00 am

Mason is not too fast and strong for Refugio, that is about as homer of a statement as I've ever read. Mason beat Refugio in 2014 because they had a deep, experienced team with play makers who took advantage of Refugio's lack of discipline and out played them as a team, they without a doubt man handled us in 15 & 16, but they most certainly did not in 2014. Mason will likely never be stronger and/or faster than Refugio as a whole. However, Mason will always play smart, play hard and play disciplined and we have a very deep and talented roster to go along with that this year. I do think we have a defense that can really slow down Refugio this year, and if we can have some success running the ball, which I think we can, I think we can hit some big plays in the passing game like we did in 2014. We have to be able to limit Brown and at least slow him down, but having faced Mascarro the last two years I think helps. I've said this before as well, the teams that have beaten Mason in the past in playoffs have had great LBer play (Stafford, Herring, Cook). Does Refugio have that this year? If Mason could get some turnover's and limit penalties and big plays on defense, I think they certainly can beat Refugio. Would I say I expect that right now, probably not, but I haven't had a chance to watch Refugio play this year either. But, like everyone knows, a twisted ankle here and a knee injury there and everything changes at this level. Long, long way to go.

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:15 am

PurplePunch wrote:
oldtimer wrote:Abernathy
Deleon
Groveton
Refugio

Your four Region winners, right? A couple of unconventional picks - can you share your reasoning?

Yes ... my reasoning is just from me following a couple teams and who they have beat this year.

Abernathy beat a really good Post team to open their season had a few blow outs and then played well with a very good Memphis team who finally went back to their original offense. They put up great numbers against bigger schools in their area but at the same time I think everyone they played did too. Abernathy has the coaches kid back for a couple more years and the highlights on him are scary for a Soph. To me this is the biggest toss up with Post, New Deal, Sundown, Stratford, Hawley and Anson in the mix. I'm going with experience here ... Abernathy takes it but don't be shocked if they get knocked off by one of the teams mentioned above.

DeLeon .... Heck the just tore apart Crawford who went to state last year and gave Refugio a game ... DeLeon was a young fast physical team last year and are flying under the radar. Hard to beat a team twice in the same year so if they can pull off another win against Crawford they win the region. Of course you have Mart ... and they might just be the most athletic team in the state as they were last year my only BUT or knock against them is can they be as sound and disciplined to beat a Crawford or DeLeon type team who doesn't make many mistakes or costly penalties.

Groveton .... well tha's my underdog pick ... I want to say they've had a lot of major injuries to key players who play both sides of the ball and well if they can heal up by the time play off come around they can be scary good now if they can't San Augustine will run away with this region.

Refugio .... well as stated this isn't the same Refugio team of the last 3 years but they are still pretty good and athletic. Shiner is a team to keep an eye on as well in this region and will know more once they play each other in district. Mason is a solid team as well but not sure if they can get it done with it comes down to it. With that being said I would love for someone to knock off Refugio and have a new team represent region 4 for the first time in about 3 or 4 years lol.

Maybe after district I can give a better predictions ... God Bless

tackleewe

Postby tackleewe » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:26 am

Puncher Pride wrote:Mason is not too fast and strong for Refugio, that is about as homer of a statement as I've ever read. Mason beat Refugio in 2014 because they had a deep, experienced team with play makers who took advantage of Refugio's lack of discipline and out played them as a team, they without a doubt man handled us in 15 & 16, but they most certainly did not in 2014. Mason will likely never be stronger and/or faster than Refugio as a whole. However, Mason will always play smart, play hard and play disciplined and we have a very deep and talented roster to go along with that this year. I do think we have a defense that can really slow down Refugio this year, and if we can have some success running the ball, which I think we can, I think we can hit some big plays in the passing game like we did in 2014. We have to be able to limit Brown and at least slow him down, but having faced Mascarro the last two years I think helps. I've said this before as well, the teams that have beaten Mason in the past in playoffs have had great LBer play (Stafford, Herring, Cook). Does Refugio have that this year? If Mason could get some turnover's and limit penalties and big plays on defense, I think they certainly can beat Refugio. Would I say I expect that right now, probably not, but I haven't had a chance to watch Refugio play this year either. But, like everyone knows, a twisted ankle here and a knee injury there and everything changes at this level. Long, long way to go.

Who said refugio was too fast and strong?

Puncher Pride

Postby Puncher Pride » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:09 am

tackleewe wrote:
Puncher Pride wrote:Mason is not too fast and strong for Refugio, that is about as homer of a statement as I've ever read. Mason beat Refugio in 2014 because they had a deep, experienced team with play makers who took advantage of Refugio's lack of discipline and out played them as a team, they without a doubt man handled us in 15 & 16, but they most certainly did not in 2014. Mason will likely never be stronger and/or faster than Refugio as a whole. However, Mason will always play smart, play hard and play disciplined and we have a very deep and talented roster to go along with that this year. I do think we have a defense that can really slow down Refugio this year, and if we can have some success running the ball, which I think we can, I think we can hit some big plays in the passing game like we did in 2014. We have to be able to limit Brown and at least slow him down, but having faced Mascarro the last two years I think helps. I've said this before as well, the teams that have beaten Mason in the past in playoffs have had great LBer play (Stafford, Herring, Cook). Does Refugio have that this year? If Mason could get some turnover's and limit penalties and big plays on defense, I think they certainly can beat Refugio. Would I say I expect that right now, probably not, but I haven't had a chance to watch Refugio play this year either. But, like everyone knows, a twisted ankle here and a knee injury there and everything changes at this level. Long, long way to go.

Who said refugio was too fast and strong?

Puncherfan said Mason was too fast and strong for Refugio.

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:39 am

tlbredemeyer wrote:We'll worry about that in December. This is 2A football - one injury can move a #1 team out of the top ten.
One week at a time.

Most accurate post yet.
Crawford is a prime example. Not the same team without their stud running back/linebacker.
Defense wins Championships!

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 am

Interesting fact refugio has been in top 10 in associated press pole for 106 straight polls. That is consistent.

Puncherland

Postby Puncherland » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:05 am

I just don’t think the Punchers have played anyone. It seems to me all of 2A is down this year. The Punchers will not be tested until Refugio and have a lot of fine tuning to do before they get there. You can only judge someone against the competition they play. Going to be interesting to see what happens when you play a Team like Refugio. The Punchers will be looking to even the score from the last two years of being basically shut off on offense. Lots of things to work on between now and then. We do have a bunch of Team speed that I believe it will Match Refugio for a change. I really like our secondary at this point with coverage on the deep ball.

GreezyChef

Postby GreezyChef » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:58 am

Blackshirt wrote:Interesting fact refugio has been in top 10 in associated press pole for 106 straight polls. That is consistent.

You sure are obsessed with poles. Does your momma and daddy know?

MogulPride

Postby MogulPride » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:48 pm

The Mason Texans are real good this year!

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Blackshirt wrote:Interesting fact refugio has been in top 10 in associated press pole for 106 straight polls. That is consistent.

That is very much consistency right there. :-O

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:13 pm

I see now how greezychef gets his name. NO response from me for stupidity. Ooops guess i just did. Lol cmon everyone give ne a lil pat on the back here for taking the high road.

Return to “2A Texas Football”