Blackshirt

Refugio or Navarro? Who you got?

Postby Blackshirt » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:18 pm

Refugio or Navarro who you got??

PurplePunch
Donating Member 16/17

Re: Refugio or Navarro? Who you got?

Postby PurplePunch » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Battle of the week in my opinion. Refugio is still somewhat discombobulated from the aftermath of the storm, but has solid wins over good 3A clubs Goliad and Edna and is rounding into shape. Navarro looks good at 4-0 but that includes a one point win over 1-3 Giddings and a 14 point win over Marion, which just lost by 40 to Goliad. Their best win is over Gonzales, because normally strong LaGrange has been terrible all year, and the flood didn't help. I think the Bobcats are the better team this year, but a lot depends on their state of mind. Priorities become clearer in the position in which they find themselves, and it's clear coach Herring is mindful of priorities and needs and is accommodating his players, school, and community, so Hip hip Hooray to him! If this football game is an opportunity to escape and have fun, I think they win. If their emotional batteries are drained, well, it's just a non-district game.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:29 pm

I think I picked Navarro by 14. Refugio has a lot going on right now that could make playing an A+ game difficult.

With that said, I am pulling for Refugio.

JWats44

Postby JWats44 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:28 pm

This should be a pretty good game. Navarro much improved on last 2 outings. Things coming together.
Navarro 41-21

4Gata

Postby 4Gata » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:02 am

I'm going to pick Refugio in a very close game. I think it will be a defensive game, and like last year, low scoring.

Last year's game was the best game I saw all year. #7 (i believe his name was Jake Wright?) was a stud of a player. Thankfully, he graduated. But, the Navarro QB is very talented, and their O-Line is big and strong. I'm aware that Navarro graduated some very good players, but they are still a very good team that is very well coached.

I made this statement last year in saying that Navarro was the strongest opponent that any 2A team played all year.

I'm curious if anyone else knows of a match-up this year that may be more challenging.
I'm not quite sure Navarro fits the billing this year, but knowing what other match-ups are out there could help the comparisons.

It will be a very good opponent for the Bobcats. Iron sharpens Iron.

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:55 am

herring dont lose consecutive games to same opponent. We shall see.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Maxpreps has Navarro ranked #151 in the state. Mart is ranked at #109 and Mason at #128. Refugio is #154.
Calpreps has Refugio winning 28 - 26.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:31 pm

2 pretty close teams. Even refugio hit field goal post could have been closer. Navarro not quite as good as last year. Refugio still will be a tough out for anyone in 2A.

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:50 am

That was nice of Navarro to not charge gate admission to the Refugio fans last night.

Blackshirt

Postby Blackshirt » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:47 am

Navarro was so good to Refugio even after a heated battle. Refugio is looking better. I think with more time of being in school and regular practices they will be fine. Living situations and no home games i know is hard on them.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:02 pm

This was a very good, hard fought game, and great hospitality and compassion shown by the Geronimo Navarro people.

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2 ... ver-again/

I listened to the game on the radio, and the announcers were great. No doubt, they are great Panther fans, but they were very complimentary of Refugio's team, players, and coaches. I hope this match-up can continue.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

Return to “2A Texas Football”