District 8 Div II

Postby Goodknight » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:23 pm

ERA
LINDSAY
MUENSTER
PERRIN-WHITT
RANGER
SANTO

Era and Santo have new coaches. Muenster is ranked high, with other teams in the district probably not in the top 30. Lindsay lost heavily to graduation. Every year poses different challenges. Lindsay's defense could be better than last year, but some young guys will need to step up on offense. I thought the Lindsay JV looked better than the varsity last year. They'll get an early test against Valley View. Santo could take that second spot with Lindsay competing for the third spot. Does anybody doubt that Muenster will march through the season undefeated? Valley View might play em tough. Santo should also be tough. Any thoughts?

MuensterBob

Re: District 8 Div II

Postby MuensterBob » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:36 pm

I hear Santo has a good bit of speed. They could be a challenge defensively.

I know Lindsay lost quite a few skill kids. Is Ott looking to be the workhorse? I remember him running all over our JV a few years ago.

And I'm assuming the Craigie kid is taking over the reins at QB?

Goodknight

Postby Goodknight » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:09 pm

MuensterBob wrote:I hear Santo has a good bit of speed. They could be a challenge defensively.

I know Lindsay lost quite a few skill kids. Is Ott looking to be the workhorse? I remember him running all over our JV a few years ago.

Ott will be a running back and I believe Craigie will be QB, unless coach makes a change. Good young kids coming up and Craigie has a decent arm. Not sure Lindsay will stick with the spread or change things up this year. It will be fun to see these young guys develop. This year should be Muenster's best chance for a run at the title, as they will likely be moving up with Lindsay to Div 1 in the next realignment. Both teams can use Valley View as a measuring stick before meeting in the Kraut Bowl. Good luck to all.

H.TIGFAN

Postby H.TIGFAN » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:01 pm

Santo hired from within their program. So don't expect anything really different scheme wise.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:27 am

Big Country
Ranger ISD hires Campbell as its new leader of the Bulldogs

Chris Wilner
Jul 27, 2017

http://www.ktxs.com/news/big-country/ra ... /594462161

Ranger ISD hires new AD, football coach

ABILENE, Texas - Ranger Bulldogs have finally found their head coach less than 2 weeks before the start of fall camp.

Now-former Italy assistant Bobby Campbell, a McMurry graduate who was inducted to the Athletics’ Hall of Honor in 2014, will take over as Ranger’s AD, football coach, and Track and Field coach this season.

He leaves a Gladiator program that lost to the Crawford Pirates in the bi-district round of the playoffs in 2016. Ranger hopes Campbell brings stability and wins to the program following a 2-8 season for the Bulldogs.

With Ranger having only been above .500 twice since 2000, and playoff-less since 2010.
God Bless South Texas & Florida - Please Give to Hurricane Relief... **== **== **== **== **==

MuensterBob

Postby MuensterBob » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Goodknight wrote:
MuensterBob wrote:I hear Santo has a good bit of speed. They could be a challenge defensively.

Ott will be a running back and I believe Craigie will be QB, unless coach makes a change. Good young kids coming up and Craigie has a decent arm. Not sure Lindsay will stick with the spread or change things up this year. It will be fun to see these young guys develop. This year should be Muenster's best chance for a run at the title, as they will likely be moving up with Lindsay to Div 1 in the next realignment. Both teams can use Valley View as a measuring stick before meeting in the Kraut Bowl. Good luck to all.

I think this is the best chance of advancing past week 15 that we've had since 2011. Pretty tough region, though, so we'll see.

Lindsay seems to be an unknown as this point. Like you implied, Boles lost a lot of playmakers and his run defense has been disappointing for the last two seasons but I know from watching the JH-JV games that you guys have a good bit of talent coming up. Sometimes its just a matter of getting the right senior leadership. That's what Lindsay had in 2014.

MuensterBob

Postby MuensterBob » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:22 pm

One player to watch this year is Santo's Destin Montelongo. He's their starting TB and one of the fastest kids in 2A. He finished 8th at state in 100m last year and was the final leg of the 4x100 team that got 7th. He's got pretty decent size, too, at 190 pounds.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:18 pm

I think Lindsay's incoming Freshmen have never lost a football game. From youth football to junior high probably high expectations for that group in a year or two.

MuensterBob

Postby MuensterBob » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:I think Lindsay's incoming Freshmen have never lost a football game. From youth football to junior high probably high expectations for that group in a year or two.

Pretty sure they swept us 7th-8th-JV last year.

Pigskin Swammy
Donating Member 17/18

Postby Pigskin Swammy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:03 am

2017 I think Muenster w/o a doubt the team to beat. They really don't have any real weakness that I can see. The real race I think is 2nd & 3rd, and I think this comes down to Lindsay & Santo. I don't know much about Santo other than they have a solid running game & a good running back. Lindsay I think needs to come out early & play really good defense. Naturally with the holes to fill on offense it might take them a while to get their offense where they want it. Playing good defense, playing for field position, and penalty free can when a lot of games. As far as Era I think they still might need a year to regroup. Love the fact they hired from within one of their own. I really think he will try to bring a physicality to the Hornets game being hes a ex offensive lineman. I sure enjoyed watching him as a player in HS & college. Perrin Whitt was 5 - 5 last year , but I think graduation hit them hard, and they maybe starting over in coaching ranks . As far as Ranger it has been 2007 since they were at least a 500 ball club.
The most under utilized pc of football equipment is 5 man & 7 man blocking sledd

Goodknight

Postby Goodknight » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:57 pm

MuensterBob wrote:
Goodknight wrote:
MuensterBob wrote: Boles lost a lot of playmakers and his run defense has been disappointing for the last two seasons but I know from watching the JH-JV games that you guys have a good bit of talent coming up. Sometimes its just a matter of getting the right senior leadership. That's what Lindsay had in 2014.

You nailed it Bob. Lindsay defense has slipped the last few years and last year was a bit disappointing. The talent level every year is different, and so are the other variables, like team chemistry, senior leadership and coaching. It's disappointing to see an athletically talented team not playing up to their potential. On the other hand, it's exciting to see a marginally talented, or young team playing above their heads! Good luck to the new coaches in Era, Santo and Ranger. As always, it will be fun in Dist 8.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:59 am

VIDEO: Ranger coach Bobby Campbell speaks about the upcoming season

Ranger coach Bobby Campbell speaks about the upcoming season. Evan Ren

http://www.reporternews.com/videos/spor ... 104527824/
God Bless South Texas & Florida - Please Give to Hurricane Relief... **== **== **== **== **==

Goodknight

Postby Goodknight » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:15 pm

Bonecrusher
Donating Member 16/17

Postby Bonecrusher » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:18 am

MuensterBob wrote:One player to watch this year is Santo's Destin Montelongo. He's their starting TB and one of the fastest kids in 2A. He finished 8th at state in 100m last year and was the final leg of the 4x100 team that got 7th. He's got pretty decent size, too, at 190 pounds.

We played Santo week 1 last year. They definitely had really good speed and apparently still do. Their offense moved the ball well on us and executed better than I would have expected for a week 1 game, much to my dislike. We were lucky to get out of there with a 1 score win.
I'll know more after 9/1 because they're coming to our place this year.

Goodknight

Postby Goodknight » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:17 pm

KXII Lindsay Preview

Is the intensity back?

http://www.kxii.com/content/misc/Lindsa ... 19373.html

Goaline Wedge

Postby Goaline Wedge » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:33 pm

I was able to see Lindsay scrimmage Paradise. Typical first scrimmage with penalties and mistakes. I thought Paradise looked improved. Lindsay has had success in the past with the tempo they play at, and with multiple formations. Obviously, this will not show in a scrimmage. They did some good things.

I think Muenster and Santo are the first tier teams in this district.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:26 pm

Lindsay and Windthorst scrimmage tomorrow night in Lindsay

Goodknight

Postby Goodknight » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Lindsay JV looked better last year against Windthorst than the varsity, and that seemed to be the theme all season. Offense could certainly score points, but the defense was not as strong as in years past. This year the defense should be better, but the offense is a question mark. Hopefully the intensity will return on both sides of the ball. Windthorst will be a good test for the Knights before they begin the regular season.

Goodknight

Postby Goodknight » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:57 am

Lindsay Windthorst scrimmage moved to Henrietta. WF if you go, will you gives us a report?

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:35 am

Goodknight wrote:WF if you go....

=)) :)) =)) :)) =)) :)) =)) :)) =))

I'll have my clipboard, counting the plays!!!

Yes, I'll give a report.

Are the scrimmages still set for 6 and 7? At one time they were 5 & 6.

Goodknight

Postby Goodknight » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks WF. figured you might go. I was going to go if in Lindsay, but won't be driving to Henrietta. I know your stats and coverage will be good! Look forward to your report.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:01 pm

Goodknight wrote:Thanks WF. figured you might go. I was going to go if in Lindsay, but won't be driving to Henrietta. I know your stats and coverage will be good! Look forward to your report.

Defenses dominated!!

1st set of 10 offensive plays for Windthorst- think we picked up 2 First downs but Lindsay also intercepts a pass.

Lindsay goes on offense and gains 5 yards in their 10 plays.

Our 2s do nothing on offense give up a couple of sacks.
Lindsay 2s scores on a 74 yard pass on their 5th play of the series. Then moves to our 22 when they run out of plays.

We then played 2 12 minute running clock qtrs.
Lindsay opened with a 12 yard QB sneak, but only gains 4 yards on then next 3 plays and punts ball to us.
On 3rd and 14 from our 21, Lindsay sacks our QB for a 6 yard loss and the ball comes loose. Should have been a scoop and score but referee blows it dead.

Anyway Lindsay takes over at our 45 but on 3rd and 5 loses 3 yards to our 43. Lindsay punts and we start st our 13. After picking up 4 yards on 1st down, we lose 7 on 2nd down. On 3rd and 13 we overthrow a receiver who had it caught it had a chance to score so went punt.

Lindsay starts at our 40. Kick game wasn't live - receiving team got the ball 30 yards from previous spot. Lindsay picked up 8 yards on the 1st 2 plays but lost 2 yards on 3rd and 4th down and we take over at our 36.

We complete a pass for 27 yards. Then pick up another first down to their 20. Following a false start penalty, we lose 16 yards back to their 41. Facing 2nd and 31 we pick up 22 yards to the 19 and score on a 19 yard run on 3rd and 9

Lindsay picks up a 1st down on their next series on 3rd and 5 as their QB scrambles for a 7 yard gain. But following an incomplete pass on 3rd and 7 we get the ball back at our 25.

We complete a pass out to our 49. But go backwards on the next 3 plays on a holding call, and a sack.

Lindsay takes over at their 35 and scores 5 plays on a 23 yard run on 1st and 10.

We take over at our 30 get sacked for a 10 yard loss, then throw an incomplete pass. Lindsay jumps offsides and on 3rd and 15, the pass it slightly behind the intended receiver who gets a hand on it but it bounces up in the air. A Lindsay player juggles it twice and somehow makes it way to another of our receivers who catches it and carries it to the sticks for a 1st down. After picking up 2 yards we get a first down on a pass interference call to their 47. We pick up a first down to the 33, then drop the pass on first down. As we were lining up to run another play the time ran out.

Goodknight

Postby Goodknight » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:05 am

Great job! Thanks for the play by play. Lindsay defense slipped a bit last year, hopefully we'll see some improvement this year. Most returning starters are on the defense. You can have offensive stars score lots of points, but if you can't stop the opposing team, you won't win many games. Good luck to the Knights and Trojans. Thanks again WF.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:41 am

Goodknight wrote:Great job! Thanks for the play by play. Lindsay defense slipped a bit last year, hopefully we'll see some improvement this year. Most returning starters are on the defense. You can have offensive stars score lots of points, but if you can't stop the opposing team, you won't win many games. Good luck to the Knights and Trojans. Thanks again WF.

Defense will keep you in games, but you have to be able to move the chains and score points to win. At the beginning of last season our defense kept us in games but the offense wasn't able to score enough (any) points to win games.

Goodknight

Postby Goodknight » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:59 am

Lindsay running no huddle out of the spread?

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:11 am

Pretty much - if their offense isn't any more productive might be better off "shortening" the game down to run clock and play the field position game.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:31 am

Watching film refs missed a fumble following the interception in our initial 10 plays series where they ruled the carrier stepped out of bounds but on film can clearly see the ball was out and Lindsay recovered. So what was marked as a 7 yard gain should have been a fumble recovery.

Guess it helps we brought our own referees!

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Calculated stats for live half
First Downs: L 5 W 7
Rushing L 19-84 W 12- -28 (3 or 4 sacks, plus a loss of 16 on a bad snap)
Passing 1-4 20 W 9-11 122

Lindsay opened with a QB sneak for 12, also had a QB scramble for 14 yards, and a 23 yard TD 3 carries for 49 yards, other 16 carries went for 35.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:07 pm

Campbell takes shot at turning Ranger around

Evan Ren, Abilene Reporter-News

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 511523001/

First-year Ranger coach Bobby Campbell is trying to succeed where one coach after another has failed: building long-term success where it hasn’t been achieved in decades.

History cites the Ranger coaching challenge as being enormous.

Bulldogs haven’t had a winning season since 2005. They haven’t had three consecutive winning seasons since 1998-2000 and haven’t put together four straight winning campaigns since 1966-1969. Since 1986, RHS is 82-229-1 with only five seasons finished above .500.

This includes seven 0-10 campaigns and five others that ended 1-9.

In its last 31 seasons, Ranger has won three games or less, 21 times.

Now for the good news: Campbell does begin his Ranger tenure with good numbers, including eight offensive and seven defensive starters from a 2-8 team. He has 16 lettermen back and could suit up as many as 27 players.

The Bulldogs have only two seniors, meaning that Campbell can establish his system through a large number of players who will be back next year.

The question is, will it be enough to achieve what so many others could not?

“I’m going to focus on getting the kids faster,” Campbell said. “I’ve looked at the 40 times and I’m going to spend a lot of time on running first.

“We’re going to have to get faster if we want to win and that’s going to be my main focus.”

In the meantime, Campbell will bring an old-school hard-knocks approach to Ranger, with an I-based offense and a 5-2 or “50” front defensively.

The Bulldogs will seek to run the football, while trying to prevent the opposition from doing the same thing.

“I’m going to meet with every kid and encourage them to come out and at least give football a chance,” Campbell said. “We’ll just try to make it fun for them.

“And the thing with kids is, if they see that we’re having success they’ll most likely stay and buy in to what you’re trying to do.”

Ranger will open the season at Dawson on Sept. 1. District play will begin with a road date at Perrin in Week 7.

RANGER BULLDOGS

HEAD COACH: Bobby Campbell (0-0; 0-0 at Ranger)
LAST YEAR’S RECORD: 2-8; 0-5 in District 8-2A Div. II
LAST DISTRICT TITLE/PLAYOFF APPEARANCE: 1999/2010
RETURNING LETTERMEN: 16
RETURNING OFF./DEF. STARTERS: 8/7
BASE OFFENSE: Spread
BASE DEFENSE: 3-4
PLAYERS TO WATCH: Mitch Needham, RB/LB, 6-2, 215, Sr.; Hayden Morgan, RB/LB, 6-1, 195, Jr.; John Sanchez, RB/DB, 5-8, 160, Jr.; Jayton Richardson, OL/DL, 6-0, 190, Jr.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:13 pm

Evan Ren's Class 2A predictions

Evan Ren, Abilene Reporter-News

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 523496001/

DISTRICT 8-2A DIV. II

1. Muenster
To say the Hornets are the team to beat in this district is a gross understatement. Muenster returns eight starters on both sides of the ball and a whopping 19 lettermen from an 11-2 regional semifinalist. The Hornets return QB Parker McGrew, are solid up front and should be among the favorites to win the region, must less District 8.

2. Santo
The numbers look good for Santo, which has 16 returning lettermen back, including seven offensive and six defensive starters from an 8-4 team. Another big plus: The Wildcats have three of five district games at home, including a big matchup with Muenster on Nov. 3 that will likely decide the league title.

3. Lindsay
The Knights took a hit from graduation offensively, with only three regulars returning from last year’s 7-4 playoff team. On the plus side, eight defensive starters are back, so Lindsay should remain competitive while its offense gains maturity.

4. Ranger
The football numbers at Ranger are quite good for a school with 109 enrollment. In fact, with eight offensive and nine defensive starters back among 18 lettermen, the Bulldogs should field a markedly better product in 2017. That may not result in a .500 record, but Ranger's first playoff berth since 2010 is possible if the Bulldogs can stay healthy.

5. Perrin-Whitt
Depth will be an issue for Perrin-Whitt, which has just 10 returning lettermen from last year’s 5-6 team. The Pirates have a good quarterback in junior Hank Moore to build around, but an overall lack of experience will be a hurdle that Perrin will have to overcome.

6. Era
Improving on last year’s 2-8 mark will largely depend on the performance of several new faces. Health will be an issue as well. Reaching the playoffs again will likely require a sweep of road games at Ranger and Perrin-Whitt.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:34 am

I thought it was interesting that in a preview video of Ranger, their new coach said they had to teach their kids the proper way to run?

MuensterBob

Postby MuensterBob » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:23 pm

21-7 Muenster over Valley View midway through the 2Q

Lindsay up 23-0 on Tom Bean after 1Q

Santo playing Bosqueville to a 7-7 draw near end of the first half

MuensterBob

Postby MuensterBob » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:36 pm

28-7 Muenster at half
36-0 Lindsay
13-7 Bosqueville near half

Bonecrusher
Donating Member 16/17

Postby Bonecrusher » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:28 pm

MuensterBob wrote:28-7 Muenster at half
36-0 Lindsay
13-7 Bosqueville near half

21-14 Bosqueville Final.
Evenly matched teams and several momentum changes. Both still had some early season rust. Overall I thought Santo moved the ball a little better than us, and definitely has speed, but our D made some good stops at key points. Santo is definitely a running team & did a good job with misdirection.
Santo had a handful of 15 yard penalties (pass int. & unsportsmanlikes), I think 3 fumbles & an interception. Luckily we were able to capitalize on some of those. It came down to errors & penalties which is typical in close games.
Very hard fought by both sides.
Last edited by Bonecrusher on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goodknight

Postby Goodknight » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:54 pm

Bells 54 Era 8
Lindsay 43 Tom Bean 0
Muenster 58 Valley View 14
Ranger 14 Dawson 12
Chico 53 Perrin 13
Bosqueville 21 Santo 14

Return to “2A Texas Football”