Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:44 am

District 6-2A Division II (2017)

Albany
Baird
Bronte
Cross Plains
Miles
Winters
Prayers For Our Hurricane Victims, Prayers of Health and Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie **== **== **== **== **==

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Re: District 6-2A Division II (2017)

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:51 am

I was asked that I only post complete stories if it was from the Newspaper or TV Websites, so I will meet this request this year as I do not want to cause any problems for our website...

Top Matchups: Crosstown Showdown, Albany & Cisco
By: Mary Johnson

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sport ... /764866855

July 13th, 2017

The state-ranked Cisco Loboes host the state-ranked Albany Lions at Chesley Field in another powerhouse match up.
These two met last year, and the Loboes came out on top to snap Albany's 44-game home winning streak. That should add a little spice to this one.

Class 2A Division II schools don't typically play Class 3A Division II schools these days. That said, look for these two to go toe-to-toe from start to finish.
Prayers For Our Hurricane Victims, Prayers of Health and Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie **== **== **== **== **==

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:55 am

Top Matchups: Wylie, Albany, Roscoe featured
By: David Robinett

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sport ... /763231916

July 11, 2017

Week Three gives a great looking match up in Class 2A Division II between a school that is established as one of the powerhouses in Division II and a school that would like to take their place. The Albany Lions, the established, travel to Roscoe to take on the Plowboys in a non-district meeting. This season, Denney Faith's team enters the season as the third ranked team in the state and they are favored to win their district. The Plowboys are ranked 11th by Texas football, and Jake Freeman's team is picked to finish second behind Hamlin. This is the eleventh meeting between the two school since 2004. Albany came out on top in eight of the last ten meetings. The Lions won last year, 48-7. Roscoe's last win in the series came ten years, ago.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:49 am

Albany has a heck of a program that most would be envious of, but they are not the caliber of Cisco. Cisco wins going away like last year.

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:04 am

I agree Windy, Cisco first rate program. In 2012 Stamford beat them in Stamford in a game that rained every quarter. Then in 2013 Cisco kicked the dawgs butt in Cisco. Best thing that could have happened to the dawgs. Cisco lined up and played smash mouth for 4 full quarter, that team pulled it together and went on and one the championship.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:06 am

bluedawg wrote:I agree Windy, Cisco first rate program. In 2012 Stamford beat them in Stamford in a game that rained every quarter. Then in 2013 Cisco kicked the dawgs butt in Cisco. Best thing that could have happened to the dawgs. Cisco lined up and played smash mouth for 4 full quarter, that team pulled it together and went on and one the championship.

I agree with both you guys, but I also know that you have to play teams better than you to get better and to improve your program... Albany certainly has a quality program as does Cisco and both schools seem to always be in the mix of things...

Stamford played Brock last year and took one on the chin, but those same kids this year will probably be better for it...

Just as Hawley got their butts kicked by Mason last year and will probably see the same outcome this year, but you have to play great programs if you ever hope to improve...

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:52 pm

2017 Player to Watch: Brian Hamilton
Jul 21, 2017

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sport ... /771478756

July 21st, 2017 - Brian Hamilton took over at quarterback in 2016 and led Albany to another district title.
He's back this year, and he's a player to watch. Mary Margaret explains.

Brian Hamilton is stepping into his second year as the leader of the Albany offense after a very successful junior season. He had 2000 yards passing with 37 touchdowns, and he hopes to continue to grow in the position in his final year in the red and white.

"I've already seen some improvement. Last year, it was a fun year, but I made some bonehead mistakes, just rookie mistakes, first year at quarterback," Hamilton said.

"This year I'm definitely looking to build off that, especially with the receivers I've been throwing to a lot, that chemistry I think is going to help me improve off of last year."

The Lions lost 11 lettermen from last year's area championship team, so Brian and the returning starters will have to get this group of guys into the Albany football mindset.

"Well we lost some all-staters last year and that definitely is going to hurt so we're going to need some younger guys to step up and I know they can," Hamilton said.

"But it's just kind of having them get into those shoes and filling them, having the right mindset, so being with them as they go through the season, build them up, let them know that it's not JV football anymore and they can play at any level."

Albany was edged out of the playoffs last season by Iraan who ended up at state, so this season the Lions are looking to get bring the Class 2A trophy back to Albany for the first time since 1961.

"We had a good season but it definitely wasn't what we wanted. We weren't shooting for third round and have a good strong outing, we were shooting for a state championship, battle for a gold medal," Hamilton said.

"Our goal is to get into the 'Ship, as it is always, as every team is. We just have to work hard and maintain our discipline and get the job done."

So what's Brian's mindset going into his senior season?

"As far as the mindset goes, just competing as hard as we can, not giving an inch. Every workout just going as hard as you can just trying to outwork the opponent," Hamilton said.

"That's always been the mindset, no matter what sport, basketball, football, baseball, just have fun with it and see where it takes us."
Brian Hamilton, a BCH Sports Player to Watch.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:12 am

Continued growth in Winters is a must

Posted: Aug 08, 2017

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sport ... /785663922

August 8, 2017 - The Winters Blizzards are coming off a 2-8 season in 1016.

That's the bad news.

The good news is nineteen lettermen are back, fifteen positions are filled with returning starters, and head coach Matt McCarty is entering his third year.

That all adds up to a possible break through season in Winters.

Mike McCarty said, "Definitely have better skill than we've had in the past few years. Just those kids coming up. It always helps that it's the third year here,so I expect this year, you know 2-8 the past two years isn't acceptable, and we're definitely looking forward to getting that up there and our goal of course is to make the playoffs just like it is every year."

Chris Diaz said, "The same intentions to go to playoffs. We all have the, we all want to go so bad."

Joey Garcia said, "We're the most prepared than we've been in the past few years. We're more experienced, so that's good. I feel like it's the best team we've had in a while."

The Blizzards' season starts in San Saba.

They beat the Armadillos to start the 2016 season.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:14 am

Lions optimistic for 2017 season

By: Brianne Welch

Posted: Aug 11, 2017

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sport ... /787376049

August 11, 2017 - Albany has a strong senior class this year, and they're led by a senior quarterback. All of that is good news for head coach Denny Faith.

Denney Faith said, "When your quarterback is your leader it always makes everything better, and he's definitely one of our leaders. You know we got a good senior group this year. A couple of them have played in two NFL stadiums, so it gives some confidence to them."

The players agree. This 2017 team is going to be close.

Dax Neese said, "I feel like we're pretty close as a team, and I feel like we're going to have a pretty good year in terms of like being together."

Albany's a consistently successful program, and this year Texas Football Magazine has them ranked number two in the preseason rankings, but of course that number does not mean much to the Lions right now. What matters to them is when they get on the field and show what they can do, and this year one of the big goals for the team is getting past the third round.

Henry Kelly said, "Definitely just making it farther than last year and just being able to work together."

Like I said, the Lions' don't give rankings much attention, but coach Faith doesn't mind having a target on their backs.

Faith said, "I think we do have a target on our back a little bit, and I think that's good. I mean I want the target on us. I don't want to be the guy shooting, I want to be the guy being shot at, so that's a good feeling to know that people around our district and our area have that kind of respect for us."

The Lions finally got to put on the pads and play "real football" at the end of week one, so now they can get back in a real football routine.

Kelly said, "It was a lot of fun. Yeah it's nice to be able to do all the drills and start to get in the routine."

Faith said, "It takes a while to get used to wearing those, and when they get used to them it'll get even more aggressive, and you just kind of work yourself into football shape."

Albany is ready to go in 2017, and they have big goals, but coach Faith says it all starts in district.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:16 am

Baird locked-in on breaking through playoff rut

Evan Nemec
Posted: Aug 08, 2017

http://www.ktxs.com/sports/baird-locked ... /601524800

Baird eager to rack up some playoff...

BAIRD, Texas - The Baird Bears have made the playoffs three years in a row -- an admirable feat considering the shape the team was in when head coach Chad Barron began his rebuild.

"Three years ago we weren't good. We were not good," senior Ricardo Gonzalez said. "When [coach Barron] came, he brought us to playoff, playoff, after playoff, so we just grew together. We got a lot closer as a team, so we work harder together."

Now the goal is not just to make the post-season, but get past the first round which is something the Bears haven't been able to do in their three latest appearances.

"Put us in an opportunity to get a bi-district championship and to try to make some noise in the playoffs," said Barron, who is entering his fifth season with Baird.

"That's that next logical step for us. Just getting there ain't good enough. It's not good enough for me and I've definitely seen that in the attitudes of our players. They're not satisfied either."

One of Barron's objectives during pre-season practice is to develop the four new starters on the offensive line.

The Bears will look to add upon their previous offensive schemes to work the ball to their play makers, such as Gonzalez.

"We're going to be able to get the ball to him through the air," said Barron. "We're also going to utilize him on the ground, utilize his quick first step."

Gonzalez recorded close to 700 receiving yards and six touchdowns to go along with three interceptions last season.

Baird will begin the season at De Leon on Friday, Sept. 1 with the Bears' first home game the following Friday against Menard.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:44 am

VIDEO: Cross Plains coach Daniel Purvis speaks to the ARN

VIDEO: Cross Plains coach Daniel Purvis speaks to the ARN Evan Ren

http://www.reporternews.com/videos/spor ... 104529114/

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:44 am

VIDEO: Albany coach Denney Faith speaks about the upcoming season

VIDEO: Albany coach Denney Faith speaks about the upcoming season. Evan Ren

http://www.reporternews.com/videos/spor ... 104533868/

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:10 am

Albany ready to bounce back into state championship conversation
Lions have two state trips in last four years

Chris Wilner

Posted: Aug 15, 2017

http://www.ktxs.com/news/big-country/al ... /605296869

Lions hope success continues this season

ALBANY, Texas - The road to success seems to go through Albany lately, as the Lions continued to prepare for the 2017 football season on Tuesday – eager to continue an impressive string of deep playoff runs.

And for most, that may be the regionals or state semifinals. But for Albany, that hunger is to get back to where they've been accustomed to in recent years, the state finals.

Not too many teams can label a third-round playoff loss as an "off year”, and it says a lot about the Albany program and its athletes. Now, this this senior class has the reputation on its shoulders, having been a part of those talented teams.

“We've been on the two state championship teams that fell short so, I think all of us still have it in the back of our minds definitely,” said senior Dax Neece after practice. “Coming off of last year, I know we're ready to start working hard."

Albany isn’t just successful in football. For the last three or four year’s programs like basketball, track and field, and baseball have also gone to regional finals and state championships.

But for football, in four seasons, the Lions least-successful campaign is last year’s regional semifinal loss. 2014 saw a trip to the state semifinals, then back-to-back state championship game losses to Bremond. Safe to say, the expectation in the Lions camp, is state.
And with the likes of Brian Hamilton, Adam Faith, Dax Neece, and a solid core in the trenches, the opportunity is back on the table for another shot.

And they aren't about to let that go to waste.

"You're never happy unless you win the last one, said head coach Denney Faith. “And so, we've never been in that position right now. We've had a couple shots at it and been close several times, but we haven't gotten there so, these guys are hungry."

Albany's head coach Denney Faith is also creeping up on win number 300 in his tenure, as the preseason 6-2A DII No. 1 ranked Lions prepare for what should be another big season that begins Friday, Sept. 1 at Colorado City.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Bronte seniors working to end 11-man era strong

Evan Nemec
Posted: Aug 17, 2017

http://www.ktxs.com/sports/bronte-senio ... /605829843

Bronte preparing for last season in...

BRONTE, Texas - When the ball is teed up and kicked off on the first Friday night of the season, it will be begin a season of lasts for the Bronte Longhorns.

The school forsees a smaller amount of boys coming into high school. In March, the school board unanimously approved a motion to move the team from 11-man football to six-man, meaning the upcoming season will be Bronte's last as an 11-man school.

"It sure is strange," senior offensive lineman and linebacker Jaxon Chantrill said of the change. "Ever since I was a kid I remember coming out here and watching 11-man football. I'm glad that as a senior I can finish that tradition of playing 11-man."

Athletic Director Rocky Rawls said there aren't many boys in the upcoming grades and he doesn't expect to get back to the amount of players needed to safely field an 11-man team.

"I haven't grown up with anything but 11-man, so it's kind of odd to think it'll all end," senior quarterback and defensive back Tanner Bedford said.

Rawls said the Longhorns don't talk about the years to come and the transition to six-man. He said he owes it to his six seniors to pour all their energy into their final seasons.

"I just want to make the community proud, make the team proud and have a great year," said Chantrill on his goals for the school's final 11-man year.

"Us seniors have made it a point to work as hard as we can so we can end this 11-man career for Bronte good," said Bedford, whose father coached at Bronte in the 2000s.

It is also an unusual situation for a first-year head coach to start. Aaron Long was an assistant at Reagan County, a Class 3A school, for three years, and he played six-man football at Garden City. He was drawn to Bronte after playing them in high school in other sports.

"Ever since then I had a tremendous amount of respect for coach Rawls and what he's done here," said Long. "This is a good community, good kids. That's what really drew me to it, good kids."

Bronte is currently working with 18 varsity players, 12 of which played last year. The Longhorns have been competitive the past two seasons with a playoff appearance in 2015 and a 5-5 record last season.

"I see [this season] going pretty good," said Bedford. "We're working really hard, and we have good team chemistry that I haven't seen in a while."

Bronte will open the season at home against Roby on Friday, Sept. 1. Its final 11-man regular season football game will be on Friday, Nov. 10 against Albany in Bronte.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:20 pm

This will probably be a sad season for these guys knowing everything changes next year...

Also, Bronte has a very nice facility with great artificial turf, it will be interesting to see how they modify the field to 6-Man dimensions.

Bronte is also a great playoff destination for our area, so it will certainly be missed in that aspect as well...

Good luck to the Bronte Longhorns as they move forward...

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:17 am

HawleyRocks wrote:This will probably be a sad season for these guys knowing everything changes next year...

Also, Bronte has a very nice facility with great artificial turf, it will be interesting to see how they modify the field to 6-Man dimensions.

Bronte is also a great playoff destination for our area, so it will certainly be missed in that aspect as well...

Good luck to the Bronte Longhorns as they move forward...

Probably the same way they adjust Jerry's World for the sixman championship - Chalk the out of bounds and endzones. I may be wrong in this thinking but the goal posts are narrower so they will have to purchase temporary uprights. I would think they would just keep the field as it is - who knows maybe they have lots of money to do modifications. I think Throckmorton still has their 11 man field and just makes the adjustment with chalk and temporary goal posts. It didn't take them much time to convert our field when we played them.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Lions and Bearcats duel in first scrimmage of 2017

Posted: Aug 18, 2017

Albany and Hawley squared off on Friday in the first scrimmages for either team this season.

http://www.ktxs.com/news/lions-and-bear ... /606620610

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Experience-packed Buffaloes eye big season in 2017

Evan Nemec

Posted: Aug 21, 2017

http://www.ktxs.com/sports/experience-p ... /607611208

CROSS PLAINS, Texas - One of the biggest predictors to how a team will fare, especially early in the season, is how much experience they have.

You can't get much more experience than Cross Plains, which returns 10 starters on both offense and defense from an 8-4 team in 2016.

"I would assume its one of the most experienced [teams] in Texas," said seventh-year head coach Daniel Purvis. "There's not many times you bring back ten and ten starters. We got to pick up where we left off instead of starting over."

"It's not only building your ability, but it's also building your confidence in yourself and the teammates that you've been playing with for a while," said senior running back and linebacker Joe Crockett." I think that's the biggest thing."

The one starter that graduated from last year's team was Holden Senclair, but his role as quarterback and safety is a big void to fill, even for such an experienced bunch.

"We spent most of two-a-days trying to figure out who's going to replace our quarterback and that spot on defense," Purvis said. "I don't think one kid can fill it."

Caleb Hernandez has been chosen to start as quarterback. Among a team of 13 juniors and seven seniors he is the only sophomore on varsity, but Purvis said the experience around him has helped smooth the transition.

"He's been coming along, he's a smart kid, and everybody else knows what to do. That makes it a lot easier on him, learning the position. They're building him up and they're helping him. It's a really good situation to be in."

Hernandez will be able to rely on his teammates, including former KTXS Player of the Week running back Creed Goode, who ran for more than 1,500 yards and 22 touchdowns last season.

Crockett, the senior two-way player, said the Buffaloes' goal for this season is to win district which would all but mean having to defeat perennial power Albany.

"We look at [Albany] and we see them as a normal football team, but there's something deeper with them," said Crockett. "Like the [New England] Patriots, they're used to winning and they just have confidence. But I think the new style of play we have is going to catch people off-guard."

Cross Plains opens the season on the road at Menard on Friday, Sept. 1. The Buffaloes' first home game is the following Friday against Perrin-Whitt.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:57 pm

Baird looking for another great season

Posted: Aug 23, 2017

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sport ... /796855894

August 23, 2017 - BAIRD, Texas -- The Baird Bears are riding a streak of three straight playoff appearances in the Class 2A Division II playoffs, and they are picked to go back this year.

Head coach Chad Barron's team is loaded with returning starters.

Eight are back on both sides of the ball from 2016.

That fact alone gives Baird a shot at another good season.

Chad Barron said, "It's good for us to know that we're going to be able to advance in a way that we feel comfortable. That it's not all new. It's not somebody that hasn't been in a situation before that they're able to feed off of the guys around them, and they understand where they're at, what they're doing, and therefore they're able to play faster."

Jax Bellar said, "I'm excited about that. You got a lot of guys that are more like seasoned veterans coming back, and they know, they know how we work, and they know what to bring to the table as far as physicallity comes and speed comes, so we're real excited about that."

The Bears are picked fourth in District 6-2A Division II.

Their season begins with a tough one against the DeLeon Bearcats next week.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:17 pm

Cross Plains has big goals for 2017 season

Evan Ren, Abilene Reporter-News

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 502696001/

In his six years of turning around a struggling program at Cross Plains, coach Daniel Purvis has had his eye on the year 2017 as a possible breakthrough season.

That may seem odd, considering the Buffaloes finished 8-4 last year, going two rounds deep in the playoffs – one of the best seasons ever for the program.

This year, however, Cross Plains is stocked with large senior and junior classes – a rarity at a school traditionally plagued by a numbers challenge. The numbers are so good, in fact, that the Buffs return 10 offensive and 10 defensive starters among 17 lettermen – numbers that most Class 2A programs never see.

“We’ve seen this coming for several years,” Purvis said. “We have two pretty good-sized classes back to back.

“Every year, it seems like we have one big class and one small class. But this group has been coming up for a while now with two big classes together and we’ve really felt like this could be our year coming up.”

Cross Plains will still have one key loss to replace – quarterback Holden Senclair – an all-Big Country quarterback/defensive back who graduated as one of the program’s top producers, both on the ground and through the air.

Running back Creed Goode (170 carries, 1,519 yards, 22 scores) has returned behind a veteran offensive line, so some compensation will be in place.

The defense should improve, with returning notables such as linebacker Kaiden Petree (41 tackles, 26 solos, 15 assists), defensive end Aaron Willis (47 tackles, 30 solos) and defensive end Tripp Thomas (39 tackles, 25 solos) all back.

“Where I expect the biggest improvement is defensively,” Purvis said. “We’ll have 10 starters back and a lot of those kids were sophomores last year. … So I’m anticipating our defense being a lot better.”

As for the schedule, the Cross Plains’ menu isn’t overwhelming.

There are, however, at least three telling games: First, a Week 3 matchup at De Leon which could serve as an early measuring stick. Second, a district opener on the road against archrival Baird on Oct. 13. And finally, a big road test against perennial area power Albany on Oct. 27.

CROSS PLAINS BUFFALOS

HEAD COACH: Daniel Purvis (31-34; all at Cross Plains)
LAST YEAR’S RECORD: 8-4; 4-1 in District 6-2A Div. II
LAST DISTRICT TITLE/PLAYOFF APPEARANCE: 1994/2016
RETURNING LETTERMEN: 17
RETURNING OFF./DEF. STARTERS: 10/10
BASE OFFENSE: I-formation
BASE DEFENSE: Split
PLAYERS TO WATCH: Creed Goode, RB, 6-1, 165, Sr.; James Rhyne, OL, 5-11, 240, Sr.; Aaron Willis, DL, l6-1, 230, Sr.; Tripp Thomas, DL, 6-3, 220, Jr.; Kaiden Petree, LB, 5-11, 165, Sr.; Trent Potter, LB, 6-0, 210, Jr.; Bryce Petree, LB, 5-10, 165, Jr.; Joe Crockett, LB/DB, 5-6, 155, Sr.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:19 pm

Experienced Winters squad seeks improvement

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 502734001/

After two seasons with back-to-back 2-8 records, Winters and coach Matt McCarty may be on the verge of a significant step forward.

The Blizzards have eight offensive and nine defensive starters back among 18 returning lettermen, giving McCarty more options, more depth and more experience than he’s ever had to work with at WHS.

On the downside, the Blizzards will still lack senior leadership.

“We’re still pretty young this year,” McCarty said. “A lot of our (returnees) are juniors who had to play as sophomores.

“But we’ve gotten a lot of experience because of injuries. That’s definitely going to help us out.”

Finding a quarterback will be a top priority for McCarty, who will choose between three candidates — junior Jovan Young, sophomore Miguel Rodriguez or freshman Alex Salas.

The Blizzards should be sound up front if they can stay healthy, with a contingent of large, experienced players on the offensive line. This includes 6-foot-2, 260-pound junior Cameron Perkins and 5-11, 275-pound junior Hayden Kelly.

“We average around six feet and 240 this year on the front,” McCarty said. “So that definitely helps. The good thing is that all of them can move pretty well, too.

“We don’t have one of those players who is just a stick in the mud who just stands there and holds people off. All of them can move, so that will be a strong point. As our running game goes, so will our season go.”

Defense could be a strong point as well, with most of the regulars in McCarty’s 3-4 scheme coming back.

Free safety Mikey Diaz (99 tackles), cornerback Slater Lindley (2 interceptions) will man a veteran secondary, while Chris Diaz and Troy Hernandez (75 tackles) will head an experienced group of linebackers.

“Last year, our biggest issue was tackling,” McCarty said. “But we got better as the year went on, and a lot of those kids are back. So if we learn to tackle correctly, then it will definitely be a strength for us.”

The Blizzards will open on Sept. 1 at San Saba. District play begins on Oct. 13 with a difficult game at Albany.

WINTERS BLIZZARDS

HEAD COACH: Matt McCarty (4-16; all at Winters)
LAST YEAR’S RECORD: 2-8; 0-5 in District 6-2A Div. II
LAST DISTRICT TITLE/PLAYOFF APPEARANCE: 2014/2014
RETURNING LETTERMEN: 18
RETURNING OFF./DEF. STARTERS: 8/9
BASE OFFENSE: Multiple
BASE DEFENSE: 3-4
PLAYERS TO WATCH: Troy Hernandez, RB/LB, 5-10, 184, Sr.; Alonso Mendoza, WR/DL, 5-11,200, Sr.; Mikey Diaz, WR/DB, 5-8, 127, Jr.; Hayden Kelly, OL/DL, 5-11,275, Jr.; Patrick Reyes, OL/LB, 5-9, 218, Jr.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:22 pm

Evan Ren's Class 2A predictions

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 523496001/

DISTRICT 6-2A DIV. II

1. Albany
Coming off an 11-2 campaign that saw them reach the Region II semifinals, the Albany Lions will reload again to be one of the area’s top small-school teams. Quarterback Brian Hamilton returns among six offensive starters, and the majority of a good defense is back as well. As always, the road to the district title runs through Albany.

2. Cross Plains
The team best-equipped to challenge Albany for the league title is in Cross Plains, where the Buffaloes return a whopping 10 starters on both sides of the ball among 17 lettermen from an 8-4 team. The schedule, however, will make things challenging. All three of the Buffs’ most crucial district games will be on the road — at Baird on Oct. 13, at Albany on Oct. 27 and a season finale at Miles on Nov. 11.

3. Miles
If healthy, Miles will improve on last year’s 5-6 mark that saw it qualify for the bi-district round. With 15 of 22 positions filled by returning starters, including QB Ross Kalina, the Bulldogs should challenge for one of the league’s top seeds with a favorable schedule that has key seeding games against Baird and Cross Plains at home.

4. Baird
The good news for Baird is, with eight starters back on both sides of the ball, the Bears will likely field an improved product in 2017. The problem is most of the teams in this league are on an upward swing, so Baird’s improvement may not translate into more wins or a higher finish in league play. Nonetheless, I like Baird to snag a playoff spot.

5. Winters
The Blizzards will be bigger and more experienced than last season, with seven offensive and eight defensive starters returning from a 2-8 team. If healthy, Winters will challenge for a playoff spot and, in all likelihood, a season finale at home against Baird will make or break the Blizzards’ playoff hopes.

6. Bronte
As the lone team in this league that was hit hard by graduation, the Longhorns have a major challenge ahead of them. Only three offensive and four defensive starters are back among 12 lettermen from last year’s 5-5 team. Bronte is breaking in a new system under coach Aaron Long and with an enrollment of only 94, options will be limited.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:58 pm

Albany improves to 4-0 with win over Anson

Posted: Sep 23, 2017

Highlights from the game between the Lions and Tigers.

http://www.ktxs.com/sports/albany-impro ... /625131178

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:52 am

Area powers Albany, Cisco set to clash on Friday

Area powers Albany, Cisco set to...

Evan Nemec
Posted: Sep 26, 2017

Cisco, Albany ready for another...

CISCO, Texas - Though it's a non-district football game between teams in different classifications, Friday's tilt between Cisco and Albany could be one of the biggest match-ups of the season.

Both are traditional powers in their size groups (Cisco, 3A; Albany, 2A), and the two squared off in 2016 for the first time in nine years.
The Loboes won 34-7, snapping the Lions' home winning streak which spanned 44 games and started in 2008.

"They whooped our butts last year, so we want a little redemption," Albany senior quarterback and defensive back Brian Hamilton said. "It's a game that will definitely help for the playoffs."

"Coach [Brent] West says every team that plays us, it's like a Super Bowl for them," Cisco senior tight end and linebacker Jaxon Hearne said. "I expect them to come out pretty good, pretty hard against us."

Because these two teams are not in the same district, let alone the same classification, this game really serves to make both teams better for games that count toward the playoffs, and beyond.

"It gets us ready for district and the playoffs, if we go deep. It's a really good game for us," said Hearne.

"It gives us an idea of where we're going to be and things we need to work on," Albany head coach Denney Faith said. "We're looking at it as a way for our team to get better."

"I feel like every team we play in pre-season is one step closer to a state championship," Cisco senior lineman Jacob Reid said.

Both teams have been equally dominate. Over the past five seasons, both Albany and Cisco have won 89% of their games.

"It's a great opportunity for our kids to play a program like Cisco. We get to line up against one of the better teams in the state of Texas pre-district," said Faith.

"You better come ready to play because if you don't match their physicality they can embarrass you."

Cisco and Albany will kick-off at 7:30 Friday night from Chesley Field in Cisco.

http://www.ktxs.com/sports/area-powers- ... /626896813

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Big Country Game of the Week: De Leon faces Crawford on the road

Sept. 27, 2017

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 707184001/

ALBANY (4-0) AT CISCO (3-1)

The computers like Albany to win here and history has shown this to be entirely possible. Cisco has a narrow 23-19-1 edge in this series, dating back to 1923.
However, Cisco has won all six meetings in the Coach Brent West era, the last four of which were by three scores or more.
So, while this matchup often looks great on paper and the computers frequently give Albany a good chance of winning, at the end of the day, it’s still a great 2A DII program against a great 3A DII program.
Nonetheless, if Albany coach Denney Faith’s crew is to defeat West for the first time ever, this is the year it could happen.
The Lions, who have the look of a team that could go to Arlington, have two big keys to winning here: Winning the turnover battle and finding a way to get yardage on the ground. You don’t want to face a Brad Brunson defense looking at second-and-long all night, so ground yardage will be crucial for AHS.
Can the Lions pull off a win at Chesley Field? We shall see.
I like the Loboes at home by one score.
PICK: Cisco by 7

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:10 pm

ATFCU Player of the Week: Albany quarterback improves on field, in classroom

Evan Nemec
Sep 27, 2017
http://www.ktxs.com/news/atfcu-player-o ... /627345632

Albany's Hamilton wins KTXS ATFCU...

ALBANY, Texas - Brian Hamilton's athletic accomplishments are known all around Albany. The senior excels in football, basketball, baseball and track.

The quarterback threw four touchdowns, ran for another, and returned an interception 85 yards to give him six total scores in the Lions' 55-13 win last week. That performance makes Hamilton the KTXS Abilene Teacher's Federal Credit Union Player of the Week.

"He's a little more vocal this year because he is the senior," Albany head coach Denney Faith said. "He's a good communicator. The kids respect him. If your quarterback can be a good leader, that makes your football team all that much better."

Outside of athletics Hamilton has written for The Lions Roar, the high school's newspaper, since his sophomore year. As expected Hamilton writes sports stories, but also has his own column where he is free to share his opinions. His first column of the semester shows he's a big thinker.

"It was about the idea of questioning everything you think you know," said Hamilton.

In the column he cites philosophies from Socrates and advises that to find truth, someone must dig for themselves.

Hamilton downplayed his writing abilities and said he doesn't want to become a writer, but his father urged him to join the paper to improve his skills for college.

"Taking newspaper, I might not like it whenever I get into it, but it's going to be something that helps me in the future. It's definitely paying off. I can write stuff in 15 minutes when it used to take me an hour to put together a paragraph.

Hamilton also said he has a feature story in the works about coach Faith, who has been at Albany for 31 years.

Hamilton, Faith and the Lions take on Class 3A power Cisco on Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Chesley Field in Cisco.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:47 am

Non-district finale's headline week 5 of Wilner's Weekly Watch

Chris Wilner
Sep 27, 2017

http://www.ktxs.com/news/big-country/no ... /627331646

ABILENE, Texas - We're about to turn the calendar to October, which means week 5 of high school football across the Big Country landscape is beginning, or approaching district play. And this week’s Wilner’s Weekly Watch hones in on a couple final non-district treats.

Albany Lions (4-0) at Cisco Loboes (3-1):

Finally, as we documented Tuesday, the re-match of Albany and Cisco – this time at the graveyard.

The Loboes stomped all over Albany in 2016, ending a 44-game home win streak for the Lions, but now Albany comes in firing on all cylinders and in even-better shape than a year ago – having yet to be truly tested.

Cisco also is picking up the pace after an early loss, eyeing a good end to non-district as both teams expect to be playing deep into December. For Albany, its third trip to state in four seasons.

Add Abilene High's district 3-6A opener at home against Haltom into the mix, and you've got yourself quite a mix of important ball games on week 5.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:50 am

Hard work is Creed's credo

Evan Ren, By Evan Ren
Sept. 28, 2017

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 712193001/

CROSS PLAINS - If there is a cornerstone position in the system employed by seventh-year Cross Plains football coach Daniel Purvis, tailback would be near the top of his list.

Basing out of the I-formation, Purvis' offense is largely a straight-ahead, physical scheme, requiring a hard-working, tough individual to carry the ball behind it.

In recent years, that spot has been taken by All-Big Country standouts Blake Hutchins and Rylan Laminack.

The current man for the job: senior Creed Goode, a multi-sport standout known as much for his work ethic as he is for his for his toughness.

"He's one of the toughest kids I've ever coached," Purvis said. "He's broken fingers and won't tell you anything until after the game.
"It's incredible."

Entering this week with 795 yards rushing and 11 touchdowns on 74 carries through four games, Goode doubles as an outside linebacker, where he has charted 25 solo tackles, eight tackles for loss and two sacks.

This, after earning honorable mention All-Big Country honors in basketball and qualifying for the state track meet in five events.
A tireless effort behind the scenes has played a huge roll in all of it.

"He's a cowboy," said Purvis, who has gradually turned the 0-10 program he inherited into a consistent playoff qualifier. "He works a ranch, building fence all summer and riding horses.

"He comes and does his workout here in the summer. Then he turns in a 10-12-hour day, working like a man. And he's done that as long as I've known him.

"He's proving to be the workhorse we always thought he could be."

And as one might expect from a cowboy who plays both linebacker and running back, he doesn't shy away from contact.

"I love it," said Goode, who rushed for 1,519 yards and 22 touchdowns last year as a junior. "I just enjoy running the ball, and you don't always take it as a running back. Sometimes you give it."

Despite his numbers, Goode doesn't cast an imposing figure.

At 6-foot-1, the 17-year-old weighs in at a modest 165 pounds. The amount of explosive power he can generate, however, is far ahead of the norm.

"He only weighs about 165 pounds, but he's tremendously strong," Purvis said. "He power cleans 275, which is an incredible amount of weight for a kid that size."

As a result, Goode has earned trips to the state track meet in the high jump, long jump, 300 hurdles and with the 400- and 800-meter relay teams.

He has cleared 6 feet, 5 inches in the high jump and has scored as many as 39 points in a basketball game.

He is hoping to attend Tarleton State University after graduating from Cross Plains.

"I grew up on a ranch and my dad always made sure I worked," Goode said. "He always told me that hard work builds the world."

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:53 am

Albany continues history of greatness

Sep 28, 2017

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sport ... /820551358

September 28th, 2017 - The Albany Lions' success is unparalleled in the Big Country in the last 9 and a half years with just three regular season losses.

Why are they so good? Brianne went to Albany to find out.

In case you were wondering, the Albany Lions are good, and they're consistently good. Most of that is thanks to a coaching staff that has been around for a long time to say the least. That's unusual in itself.

Dax Neece said, "It starts with the coaches. They can make any team into a good team. Whether it has the best athletes or not, they always know what they're doing."

And here's something else that's unusual, the last time Albany had two losses in the regular season was back in 2007, so the success is consistent, but every team is different, so what's this year's team like?

Brian Hamilton said, "I think definitely team chemistry and being able to have senior leadership is a huge thing that's helping us out this year."

Denney Faith said, "Our seniors have done a great job, and like I say, they're best friends, so you know we spend a lot of time together in the locker room, on the football field, on the practice field, and then when you get away from here and see them downtown or something, they're still all together. That's a good thing."

The Lions do have a tough matchup this week. They play Cisco who beat Albany last season 34 to 7. Albany didn't like that too much.
Hamilton said, "We know they kicked our butts last year on our own field, and they got the best of us, so I mean we're all pretty motivated and we all know that we're going to have to work hard if we're going to compete with a team like Cisco."

According to the Harris Ratings, this is a top ten matchup. The Lions are ranked number one in Class 2A Div. II, and the Loboes are ninth in Class 3A Div.II.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Big Country Player of the Week: Albany QB Hamilton takes accolade

Evan Ren, By Evan Ren
Oct. 2, 2017
http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 725219001/

As always, versatility scores big points in our Big Country Player of the Week column, and athletes who fill multiple roles often get a leg up on the competition.
Case in point: Albany quarterback/defensive back Brian Hamilton, who did virtually everything except assist in the concession stand during Albany’s stunning 39-13 win over perennial powerhouse Cisco on Friday.
Hamilton, who also is a standout basketball and baseball player, rushed 15 times for 91 yards and a touchdown on Friday, but we’re just getting started.
He also connected on 16 of 24 pass attempts for 162 yards and four more scores.
Defensively, he charted three solo tackles, four assisted stops, two interceptions (one that he returned 56 yards for a TD) and one pass breakup.
And, since he also serves as the placekicker, Hamilton had a direct hand (or foot) in all 39 of the Lions’ points.
When you add the fact that his effort helped the Lions snap a six-game losing streak to Cisco at always-tough Chesley Field, Hamilton locks up our Player of the Week spot with ease.
“He’s that kind of player,” coach Denney Faith said. “He’s a great competitor and someone who we can count on.
“It was just a great performance, for sure. We’re hoping that he has several more of those left in him.”

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Big Country Notebook: De Leon Bearcats are legit

Evan Ren, By Evan Ren
Sept. 30, 2017
http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 719512001/

SPEAKING OF BENCHMARKS
One may think that with all the success the Albany Lions have had under longtime coach Denney Faith, that a benchmark win isn't possible.
Yet it is. Beating a Brent West-coached Cisco team at Chesley Field is a benchmark win for any team. In fact, Albany had never done it, at home or on the road, until Friday's stunning 39-13 win.
No, this isn't the 2013 Cisco state championship team that Albany defeated. But it is a very good Class 3A Division II team that may yet win a district title and/or do some postseason damage.
When you have a Class 2A Div. II team capable of beating Cisco like this, it serves notice to everyone. Of course, in hindsight, you'll run across those who will say they knew this lopsided win at Cisco would happen. But chances are you didn't hear it before the game.
Albany winning the game isn't shocking. But the Lions beating the Loboes by 26 points serves as a slap upside the head for many of us. This Albany crew, if it can remain healthy, not only has an excellent chance reaching Arlington, but it could bring home the whole proverbial enchilada for the first time in Faith's storied career.
Health will be a huge key. Because as good as the Lions are, there's not very many of them.
"I'm just really proud of the kids," Faith said. "They worked hard to prepare all week and our coaching staff did a great job of getting them ready.
"I felt like we were really ready to play and I think this will help us down the road."

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Albany's Hamilton earns Built Ford Tough award

Oct 04, 2017
http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sport ... /826052102

October 4th, 2017 - Class 2-A: Brian Hamilton, Sr., Quarterback/Safety/Kicker, Albany
When Albany’s Brian Hamilton was on the field last week, the scoreboard operator at Cisco had to pay close attention. At any moment, the all-everything senior could carry the ball to the house or kick it straight through the uprights.
Brian almost singlehandedly took the air out a highly anticipated Big Country showdown as the Lions jumped to a 20-0 lead through one quarter on the way to an easier-than-expected 39-13 win over Cisco.
Hamilton, Albany’s quarterback/safety/kicker had his hand in all three TDs in the decisive first quarter, throwing for one TD, running for another, and capping it off with a 56-yard, pick-six.
All told Brian hit on 16 of 24 passes for 167 yards and three TDs and ran for 91 yards and a score.
Just for good measure the 6-0, 190-pounder added seven tackles and two interceptions, including the one he brought all the way back.
Now Albany (5-0), #2 in the Dave Campbell Texas Football Class 2-A, Division 2 poll, enters a bye week before playing Winters in the District 6 opener on Oct. 13.
Brian is the fifth player from Albany to earn the Built Ford Tough weekly award in its dozen years and the first since Drew Neece in 2015.

Brian isn’t only a star in four sports but in the classroom as an A-student and on the school’s honor roll.
He also participates in basketball (all-district defensive player of the year last winter), baseball (helping the Lions reach the 2-A state semifinals as a pitcher and shortstop), and track and field (hurdler, shot and discus thrower).
He’s a member of FCA, a local youth church, and writes for the school newspaper.

“Brian has fully accepted his role as a senior leader and does everything possible to help his teammates and the younger players,’’ raves Coach Denney Faith. “Whether it’s being a four-sport athlete or an honors student, Brian is passionate to be the best.”

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:43 am

Albany thumps Winters

Posted: Oct 14, 2017

The Lions remained unbeaten on the season with a 50-8 victory.

http://www.ktxs.com/news/albany-thumps- ... /637843352

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Big Country Player of the Week: Do-it-all Hornet snags award

Evan Ren, By Evan Ren
Oct. 16, 2017
http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 769692001/

BIG COUNTRY TOP 10

3. Caleb Hernandez, QB/DB, So., Cross Plains — Had a direct hand in five touchdowns in Cross Plains’ 52-0 win over archrival Baird, all of which came in the first half.
Hernandez connected on six of nine throws for 186 yards, with TD strikes of 31, 24, 10 and 57 yards.
He took off running six times for an additional 87 yards, including a 67-yard dash to the end zone. This gave him 273 yards in total offense in just two quarters of play.
He played a role in a sixth score, dishing to Kaiden Petree on a 30-yard score off a speed option.

OTHER TOP PERFORMERS

• Kaiden Petree, RB/LB, Sr., Cross Plains (Had 75 yards and one TD rushing, a 24-yard TD reception, two PATs, nine tackles, eight solos and two tackles for loss vs. Baird)

Return to “2A Texas Football”