Re: District 4-2A Division I (2017)

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:39 pm

WEEK 1

ANSON 00 VS HAMLIN 00
FORSAN 00 VS COAHOMA 00
HAWLEY 00 VS MUNDAY 00
POST 00 VS ABERNATHY 00
STAMFORD 00 VS BROCK 00

Well REAL Football is finally here, so who have you got??? Good Luck to District 4-2A Division I...

Keep our friends in South Texas and all Harvey victims in our prayers...
Prayers For Our Hurricane Victims, Prayers of Health and Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie **== **== **== **== **==

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:43 pm

WEEK 1

ANSON by 10
FORSAN by 6
HAWLEY by 14
POST by 6
BROCK by 10

Keep our friends in South Texas and all Harvey victims in our prayers...
Prayers For Our Hurricane Victims, Prayers of Health and Recovery For Casey @ Refugio & Scott Akins @ James Bowie **== **== **== **== **==

Dirtysims
Donating Member 16/17

Postby Dirtysims » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:57 pm

My picks for week one
Anson by 14
Forsan by 7
Hawley by 21
Post by 8
Brock by 14

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:45 pm

Wilner's Weekly Watch - Sept. 1

Chris Wilner
Posted: Aug 30, 2017

http://www.ktxs.com/news/big-country/wi ... /614804766

ABILENE, Texas - This week marks the dawn of a new season for Texas high school football. And with the start of the madness beginning on Thursday, it means “Wilner’s Weekly Watch” returns for its second season highlighting my games to keep an eye on each week.
Hamlin at Anson (FFN Game of the Week) – Friday, 7:30 p.m.

A class 2A showdown marks our first KTXS “Football Friday Night” Game of the Week as the Pied Pipers try and steal one inside the Tigers den against Anson.

The Tigers made history with its farthest playoff run last year being the regional final, and are poised for another one with a veteran-filled team against Hamlin – who’s eager to prove its lack of depth is no excuse for a signature win on week one.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Evan Ren's Class 2A predictions

Evan Ren, Abilene Reporter-News

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 523496001/

DISTRICT 4-2A DIV. I

1. Post
The Antelopes are the team to beat in District 4, with 20 lettermen back from a 10-3 team, including eight offensive and nine defensive starters. RB Mike Pherguson (1,186 yards, 10 TDs) is among the league’s best and headlines a group of capable skill players. The schedule is somewhat favorable, with crucial matchups against Hawley and Anson both at home. But in this league, there are no easy games.

2. Hawley
The Bearcats may improve upon last year’s 8-4 mark, with 14 of 22 spots occupied by returning starters, including senior quarterback Quay Stokes. One thing working against the Bearcats winning the league title: A huge game with league-favorite Post is on the road on Oct. 27.

3. Anson
The Tigers will be youthful offensively, with only five starters back among 12 lettermen, and it must break in a new quarterback. But a defense with seven returnees could act as compensation while the offense finds its sea legs. The schedule doesn’t help Anson, which faces both Post and Hawley on the road.

4. Stamford
The question isn’t whether Stamford will be better than a year ago. With eight starters back on both sides of the ball and an eye-popping 20 lettermen, that’s a given. The question is, will the Bulldogs improve enough to make a splash in a district loaded with teams good enough to reach postseason play?

5. Forsan
Improving on last year’s 9-4 mark may be a challenge for Forsan, with 10 of 22 starters back and only eight lettermen to face a brutal district. The Buffaloes do have starting QB Bryce Hergert returning along with a capable group of skill players, so the chance to be competitive is there. A season finale at Stamford could decide whether or not the Buffaloes play an 11th game or stay home.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:28 am

Hawley Is Also Passing The Bucket Friday Night at our Home Game with Munday for Harvey Relief

God Bless South Texas - Continued Prayers of Strength and Relief... **== **== **==
Attachments
Harvey Relief - Hawley Game.jpg
Harvey Relief - Hawley Game.jpg (117.92 KiB) Viewed 609 times

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:33 am

Post & Abernathy Game

Post Antelope Booster Club shared Abernathy ISD'spost.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 4033007566

Abernathy ISD
August 28 at 3:40pm •
Abernathy Antelopes and Post Antelopes will unite at Friday evening's game to collect donations for victims of Hurrican Harvey. Prior to the start of the game, members of the Abernathy High School student council will walk around the stands and collect monetary donations for the Red Cross. We encourage everyone to be generous and join our efforts of hurricane relief.

**== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **==

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:36 am

Anson Tigers

Anson Tiger Sports Pics
Yesterday at 8:25pm •
Keeping our fellow Texans affected by hurricane Harvey in our prayers! If you would like to help here's how you can!
Donations to the Red Cross to support the Hurricane Harvey relief efforts can be made:
Online at redcross.org.
By calling 1-800-RED-CROSS.
By texting the word HARVEY to 90999
to make a $10 donation.
Donations to the Salvation Army to support the Hurricane Harvey relief efforts can be made:
Online at helpsalvationarmy.org.
By calling 1-800- SAL-ARMY.
By texting STORM to 51555.

**== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **==

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:29 am

Top Week 1 Games in Small Town West Texas

BY BLAKE WOOD

http://texashsfootball.com/top-week-one ... est-texas/

Anson vs. Hamlin (9/1) Tiger Stadium

(In keeping with our mandate, I only posted the link to this story....)

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:31 am

Week One Games to Watch In The Wichita Falls Area

BY BLAKE WOOD

http://texashsfootball.com/week-one-gam ... alls-area/

Munday @ Hawley (9/1) Forrest Field

(In keeping with our mandate, I only posted the link to this story....)

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:46 am

Evan's 11 games worth traveling for in 2017

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 539131001/

Every year, while helping to put together our football preview, I get to scan the football horizon and speculate.

Where will I be going through 11 Friday nights of high school football? At this point, it’s pure guesswork, and it almost always changes once it's determined who the surprises and disappoints are.

Nonetheless, this column still serves a purpose, and has evolved over the years into a preliminary roadmap of sorts, helping others to get a rough idea of what games may be worth driving to.

Yes, those people are out there, and in surprising numbers.

I’m talking about people who are willing to drive 100 miles to see one of the best football games of the week. They want to see several different teams each year and several different styles. But first and foremost, they want good football.

If I didn’t do this for a living, I would be among them anyway, searching the area for the best game I could find.

So this annual letter to them — Evan’s 11 — continues to my kindred spirits.

That said, let’s take a look at what appear to be the top games worth traveling to in 2017. Keep in mind, of course, that nothing is set in concrete.

All is subject to change as the surprises emerge.

I’ll see you on the road.

WINDTHORST AT ANSON

The season’s midpoint usually sees very few games and slim pickings when it comes to finding a Game of the Week. But this matchup would stand out as a possibility, even if there were a full menu of games to choose from.

Last year, Anson fell 52-48 at Windthorst in one of the top games of the season. The venue switches to Tiger Stadium this time around, with both clubs expecting big things.

Windthorst is picked by some to win District 5-2A Division I, while Anson is viewed as one of the favorites in District 4 — meaning this could easily be a preview to a future playoff game.

Don’t be surprised if it produces fireworks similar to last year.

ALSO WORTH A DRIVE

Hico at De Leon; Seymour at Hawley; Gordon at Aspermont; May at Water Valley
WEEK 7: OCT. 12-14

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:49 am

Every year, while helping to put together our football preview, I get to scan the football horizon and speculate.

Where will I be going through 11 Friday nights of high school football? At this point, it’s pure guesswork, and it almost always changes once it's determined who the surprises and disappoints are.

Nonetheless, this column still serves a purpose, and has evolved over the years into a preliminary roadmap of sorts, helping others to get a rough idea of what games may be worth driving to.

I’m talking about people who are willing to drive 100 miles to see one of the best football games of the week. They want to see several different teams each year and several different styles. But first and foremost, they want good football.

If I didn’t do this for a living, I would be among them anyway, searching the area for the best game I could find.

That said, let’s take a look at what appear to be the top games worth traveling to in 2017. Keep in mind, of course, that nothing is set in concrete.

STAMFORD AT ANSON

With Brownwood-Wylie being ineligible for Game of the Week, since it involves a local team, Stamford at Anson emerges as an early possibility here.

If the Bulldogs improve as much as expected with 20 returning lettermen, including two capable quarterbacks and 16 of 22 starters, then this shapes up as a doozy.

Anson is clearly a program on the upswing under coach Chris Hagler. And after struggling through a 2-8 season with a young team last year, traditional power Stamford feels ready for a return to the spotlight.

The crowd will be big and the atmosphere charged for these two area rivals.

ALSO WORTH A DRIVE

Brownwood at Wylie; Clyde at Merkel; Idalou at Colorado City; Jim Ned at Comanche; Tolar at Eastland; Hawley at Forsan; Gordon at Strawn; Knox City at May; Throckmorton at Aspermont
WEEK 8: OCT. 19-21

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:53 am

STAMFORD AT HAWLEY

Likely blowouts dot the Nov. 3 menu, but there are still at least four or five solid possibilities for Game of the Week on tap.

Stamford-Hawley stands as an early possibility. But that will largely depend on how much Stamford improves with nearly all its weaponry returning.

Hawley will again be explosive behind All-Big Country quarterback Quay Stokes and the tempo on both sides will almost assure plenty of points.

At first glance, this looks like some solid entertainment for those looking to get out of the house for an evening. And as do all games in this five-team district, it will play a huge role in playoff seeding.

The Sweetwater-Monahans game is another excellent choice, if you don’t mind covering the miles to West Texas to see it.

ALSO WORTH A DRIVE:

Sweetwater at Monahans; Cisco at Tolar; Jim Ned at Clyde; Hico at Goldthwaite; Gorman at Gordon; Highland at Loraine

WEEK 11: NOV. 9-11

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:29 am

Earlier in the year I posted Quay Stokes' numbers for Passing and Rushing in his quest for 10,000 yards...

Yesterday while working with Quay's dad and Hawley Coach Mitch Ables it was discovered that there were discrepancies from my numbers from MaxPreps and the actual numbers that Mitch Ables' keeps at Hawley... After some research throughout the day, we found that there were 3 1/2 games that were not loaded to MaxPreps for the 2014 and 2015 seasons, so here is what his numbers are I think... The reason I state this is I am not sure the yards for the half game that was called at halftime due to lightning were included... Quay's dad and I will be following up with Mitch Ables on this, just probably not today, since it is game day !!!!! Yeah... Real Football !!!!!

But as it stands right now:

Quay Stokes has 7,138 yards passing and 2,380 yards rushing, for a total of 9,518 total yards... So he needs 482 yards to reach 10,000 yards...

The question I do have if anyone can answer... I know that you do not count return yards on kick off and punts, which Quay has...

But my question is this, Quay has receiving yards where we have thrown to him on trick plays in a double pass situation... Should personal receiving yards be included in this overall total???? Anyone know this???? Windyfan?????

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:08 pm

Week 1 Scores:

Big Country Game of the Week: Anson 35, Hamlin 14

Forsan 19, Coahoma 24

Post 21, Abernathy 27

Stamford 7, Brock 55

Hawley 34, Munday 21

Our District Had a Rough Night...

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:37 pm

Hawley Loses Star Quarterback Quay Stokes...

Our injury woes started again this year as we find out this morning that Quay Stokes has a broken ankle, it happened last night at the start of the 2nd quarter and he continued to play on it and played the entire 2nd Half limping but still running and throwing while continuing to play both offense and defense and doing everything that he could to get us our first win of the season... The kid just does not know the word quit and while in pain was successful in doing so...

He is scheduled for surgery in the morning and we will find out his prognosis at that time... We will be praying that he makes a speedy recovery and returns in good health soon...

BOLDGOLD

Postby BOLDGOLD » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:07 pm

HawleyRocks wrote:Hawley Loses Star Quarterback Quay Stokes...

Our injury woes started again this year as we find out this morning that Quay Stokes has a broken ankle, it happened last night at the start of the 2nd quarter and he continued to play on it and played the entire 2nd Half limping but still running and throwing while continuing to play both offense and defense and do.ing everything that he could to get us our first win of the season... The kid just does not know the word quit and while in pain was successful in doing so...

He is scheduled for surgery in the morning and we will find out his prognosis at that time... We will be praying that he makes a speedy recovery and returns in good health soon...

Man I hate that this happens to him. I know he is a tough player. I remember our game last year, he had a limp the whole time, but he never quit. We will pray for a full recovery for Quay. Good luck to yall and we will se yall when yall make it to Post On October 27th.

footballmania

Postby footballmania » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:24 am

I am so sorry to hear about this, what bad luck for the young man, I hope he will have a speedy recovery and your team will come together as a unit despite this.

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:57 am

Prayers for this young man, hate this for any kid their Sr year. He's tough, you won't see him down for long.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:03 pm

Quay Stokes update...

Sorry, I am just getting back to posting... Have have been sick myself and hope to get all caught up...

Quay had surgery on Sunday morning and all went well for him... Not sure what his prognosis is at this time as it is just too early to tell, but he is in our prayers to make a speedy and full recovery. Many thanks to BOLDGOLD, footballmania, and Bluedawg for your thoughts and prayers...

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Game of the Week: Anson vs. Hamlin

Posted: Sep 02, 2017

http://www.ktxs.com/news/game-of-the-we ... /615726211

The Tigers and new quarterback Drew Hagler take down the Pied Pipers, 35-14, in the season opener in Anson.
ANSON, Texas

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:06 pm

Big Country Player of the Week: Anson sophomore Hagler takes first honor

Evan Ren, By Evan Ren

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 631102001/

Normally, I'm reluctant to give the Player of the Week nod to a sophomore after the first game of the season, for the simple fact that we likely will be hearing his or her name 100 more times over the next three years.

No need to rush things.

But in the case of Anson quarterback Drew Hagler, he earned our first award of the school year. It's that simple.

The son of coach Chris Hagler led the Tigers to a 35-14 season-opening win over Hamlin last week, rushing 20 times for 190 yards and four touchdowns.

He wasn't spectacular through the air, hitting 11 of 24 throws for 157 yards and another score. But more importantly, he was sound, not throwing an interception.

"I don't get to enjoy watching him play until I see the film on Saturday morning," coach Hagler said. "I hadn't realized that he put up those kinds of numbers."

That's just on the offensive side.

As a defender, the younger Hagler charted five tackles in the Anson secondary and picked off two passes to boot.

Player of the Week? You bet.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:21 pm

Q & A With Hawley Quarterback Quay Stokes

BY BLAKE WOOD
September 1

http://texashsfootball.com/?s=quay+stokes

Photo Courtesy of Bearcat Athletics

This is a nice article that also has Quay's highlights for the 2016 Seymour Game, which was played at Archer City. Check it out the highlight at the bottom of the article and watch Quay play quarterback last year before we lost all of our receivers to injuries. See what Hawley was at full strength when we had our full receiving corps...

This interview was last Tuesday prior to him getting hurt on Friday night.

Hawley 48 to Seymour 21

Quay Stokes (Jr.) passed for 4 touchdowns and ran for 3 more. He completed 32 of 42 passes.
Hawley had 673 yards of total offense. 179 yards Rushing and 494 yards Passing.
Hawley had 7 different receivers that caught passes, 3 receivers had, 125yds, 159yds, 165yds, with one touchdown that was for 85yds of which 45yds was in the air.
Attachments
Quay.jpg
Quay.jpg (98.77 KiB) Viewed 491 times

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Well, it's Week 2 for our district and we went 2 for 5 in Week 1... How will we fare this week???
Pick em as you see em...

Week 2

Anson vs Haskell
Forsan at Eldorado
Hawley at Bangs
Post at Tahoka
Stamford at Munday

Good Luck to District 4-2A...

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:13 pm

Week 2

Anson vs Haskell - Anson by 30 and could be more...
Forsan at Eldorado - Forsan by 7
Hawley at Bangs - Hawley by 14
Post at Tahoka - Post by 20
Stamford at Munday - Stamford by 7

So, I have us pitching a shutout, go District 4... Represent!!

Dirtysims
Donating Member 16/17

Postby Dirtysims » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Week 2 picks
Anson by 30
Forsan by 7
Hawley by 20
Post by 14
Stamford by 7

H.TIGFAN

Postby H.TIGFAN » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:38 am

Looks like Quay Stokes will be out for a while with a fracture above is right ankle.

Source: Evan Ren's Twitter page. https://twitter.com/BigCountrySport

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:49 am

Dist 4 sweeps Friday night.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:50 pm

Anson's Hagler shines in first start, wins Player of the Week

Anson's Hagler shines in first start,...

Evan Nemec
Posted: Sep 06, 2017

http://www.ktxs.com/news/ansons-hagler- ... /617392593

Hagler wins ATFCU Player of the Week

ANSON, Texas - When the first KTXS Game of the Week was selected, it was known that Anson quarterback Drew Hagler would play a big role in the story.

The sophomore was making his first start on varsity, and with his father being the Tigers' head coach there was a lot of interest in how he would play.

Hagler scored five touchdowns on offense and intercepted two passes on defense to help Anson beat Hamlin 35-14, and win the season's first Abilene Teacher's Federal Credit Union Player of the Week award.

"It felt awesome because a lot of my family came to watch because it was my first game," said Hagler. "They all said I did really good. I was glad they got to come out to watch the game."

His coach and dad, Chris Hagler, admitted he doesn't get anxious before games, but that changed on Friday.

"It made me a little nervous as a father. Not really as a coach because I know he's been busting his tail, he's been coached up, and he knows what to do."

Drew Hagler proved that by throwing for 157 yards, including a 76-yard touchdown, and rushing for 190 yards and four scores.
He opened the game with a 47-yard TD run on 4th down and 2.

"The line had great blocks, the receivers had great blocks, and the running back did, too," said Drew Hagler. "It was a team thing. I couldn't have done it without any of them."

Chris Hagler confessed he didn't realize how successful his was son was playing until he watched the film on Saturday morning.

"Watching that and grading him on film, he did some things that were uncharacteristic as a sophomore," said Chris Hagler. "That's because of all the coaches he's had up to this point that have been around him."

Drew Hagler said his relationship with his dad and coach is positive, and something he appreciates.

"I get to be with my coach pretty much the entire time, but also be with my dad pretty much the entire time. We don't like to talk about football at the house. If I had any questions, I ask them [at school] and then he father-son at the house."

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Frazier gets the call as Hawley adjusts without Quay Stokes

Senior QB suffered ankle injury Friday

Chris Wilner
Posted: Sep 06, 2017

http://www.ktxs.com/news/big-country/fr ... /617370793

HAWLEY, Texas - It’s a coach and player’s worst nightmare. An injury to a key member of the team in the first game of the season.

That kind of adversity sets the tone for your season, and for Hawley – that’s exactly what happened.

The task now - find a way through that adversity, as the Bearcats suffered a big blow last Friday when quarterback Quay Stokes, starting his fourth and final season, would suffer a broken ankle in the win over Munday.

“You know, he never left the game.” Said head coach Mitch Ables on Wednesday. “He got hurt in the first quarter and he’s just such a tough kid that he kept playing and we didn’t know anything really until Saturday.”

The senior showed courage and poise before seeking medical attention, and thus having to endure surgery over the weekend.

So now, the man who's led Hawley for nearly four years, will be sidelined with no immediate timetable for his return.

“Knowing that he’s not going to be there with us on Friday night’s is kind of – kind of sad,” said senior Dylan Frazier.

And that’s the name called by the coaching staff to take his place. Frazier, the senior WR/TE who hasn't played QB since middle school, will fill the void as QB1. And although it’s been a while, he’s got experience – and knows by playing with a guy like Quay, what attributes he needs.

“He [Quay] just always is hustling and he always knows what to do,” said Frazier. “He probably is the biggest leader we ever had here. I just hope to keep that going. I don’t want to let my team down.”

And so this week, the prep for a Bangs team on Friday is second to making sure Frazier is adjusted, and keeping the Bearcat ship pointed in the right direction.

“They told me to just not be nervous – which is the main thing, and to play how you know you can and we’ll come out on top,” said Frazier.

“Dylan has really stepped up to the plate,” added coach Ables. “He knows what we’re trying to do and accomplish. He’s a good kid and a good player – having been on varsity for a few years playing receiver and some back –up QB, so he’ll do well for us.”

But from now, until he returns, this season will continue on for Hawley with their leader in mind.

“Quay will be in our hearts every Friday night until he gets back and we’ll be playing for him. He’ll always have a spot when we’re out here on the field,” said Frazier.

Hawley will travel to Bangs this week with kickoff set for 7:30 p.m. on Friday.

(A Sad Site For Hawley Fans) x_x x_x x_x
Attachments
Quay Stokes - Ankle Injury - 2017.jpg
Quay Stokes - Ankle Injury - 2017.jpg (101.99 KiB) Viewed 425 times

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:05 pm

Hawley quarterback Stokes out indefinitely

Evan Ren, By Evan Ren

Hawley's Stokes out indefinitely Evan Ren

Sept. 7, 2017

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 641655001/

For three years and 36 consecutive starts dating back to his freshman year, Hawley quarterback Quay Stokes has been a Big Country standout and the cornerstone of a burgeoning program under coach Mitch Ables.

This week, he can be spotted sitting in a golf cart with his right leg elevated, covered by a cast.

Stokes, who suffered a broken bone just above his right ankle in the first quarter of Friday night's season opener against Munday, is out indefinitely after having surgery on Sunday.

He's hoping to return for the district opener with Forsan on Oct. 13. His doctors, however, are less optimistic and as yet, have given him no time table for suiting up again.

The initial diagnosis, as one would expect, was difficult for Stokes, who was projected to lead Hawley into postseason play and repeat as an all-Big Country team member.

"(The diagnosis) took the breath out of me," said Stokes, who threw for 3,105 yards and 36 touchdowns last season. "Nobody wants to hear that they're going to miss a bunch of games in their senior year.

"So it was definitely heartbreaking when I heard the news. At this point, I'm just trying to stay positive. I'm still with the team, it's just from a different aspect. I just have to become the best leader I can."

After suffering the injury on a first-quarter play, Stokes regained his feet and went on to play through the pain for the rest of the game, leading Hawley to a 34-21 win with a broken bone no one knew about.

It was only after getting the leg X-rayed following the game that the fracture was discovered.

"He's about as tough as they come," Ables said. "If the X-ray hadn't shown a fracture and we didn't know about it, he probably would have sucked it up and tried to play (this week) until he couldn't play anymore."

In Stokes' absence, junior Dylan Frazier, a standout wide receiver, will take over behind center.

The Bearcats (1-0) will face Bangs (0-1) on Friday in Frazier's first start at quarterback.

"They're going to look at it week to week and watch how it's healing up," Ables said. "There wasn't any ligament or tendon damage so that's a plus. It was a clean break.

"I won't make any guesses. We'll just let the doctors look at it week to week and see what they say."

Stokes hasn't been given a rehab schedule yet, but is eager to jump into that process as soon as his doctors give him the go-ahead.

The 18-year-old addressed his teammates on Saturday after receiving the bad news.

"I addressed them with a heavy heart," said Stokes, who has helped Hawley to three straight playoff appearances since taking over the starting job early in his freshman season. "I told them that this isn't the time to be down and out about anything.

"If anything, this is the time we have to play better. I just let them know that I loved each and every one of them and that I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to be here every step of the way with them and do everything I can to help them."

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:42 pm

Quay Stokes Personal Update...

I spoke in detail with Quay's Dad tonight at the JV game and then spoke with Quay as well... Like this interview above stated, this was a hard pill to swallow for this young man... And like he stated above he is going to be with the Hawley team every step of the way pushing them to stay focused on the mail goal, while helping to continue to lead our team from the sideline...

Quay broke his leg last Friday night above the right ankle in the first half of the first quarter, he went on to play the rest of the game on that broken right leg, scoring three times. And while his overall numbers might not of been one of his more impressive games, he had 61 yards rushing and only 147 yards passing, which puts him just 274 yards away from 10,000 yards in the 36 games he has played as a four year starter on varsity... No the numbers for this game were not that impressive, but when you add the fact that most all of this was done with a broken right leg and his pain endurance and the will to never quit... He is my Player of the Week...

Quay's Dad spoke to the Hawley Superintendent to seek permission to have him in a golf cart on the Hawley school grounds as he has classes all over campus as well as football practice and this will allow him to ride to where he needs to be while keeping that leg elevated as required. This was of course approved... He also spoke to the Hawley Chief of Police and Quay is allowed to drive from home on this same golf cart. This new golf cart was purchased by Quay's Dad so that he would have it on Monday morning when school started...

I also have a picture that shows the break in Quay's leg and the plate with what looks like seven screws to hold everything together...

He is out indefinitely as Evan Ren has stated above, but I would not count this kid out at all... Continued Prayers for this young man...
Attachments
Quay - Golf Cart 1.JPG
Quay - Golf Cart 1.JPG (21.95 KiB) Viewed 407 times
Quay - Golf Cart 2.JPG
Quay - Golf Cart 2.JPG (24.54 KiB) Viewed 407 times
Quay - Broken Leg.jpg
Quay - Broken Leg.jpg (71.28 KiB) Viewed 407 times

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:52 pm

Prayer Request - Hawley Varsity Wide Receiver (Name Withheld)

His mom was placed on Hospice today and things do not look good... I would like to ask for prayers of strength for this young man and his family...

May God give them strength in these tough and troubling times....

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:23 am

Prayers going up from Stamford. May God bless this family.

PurplePunch
Donating Member 16/17

Postby PurplePunch » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:07 pm

We've been quiet, but the Punchers want the Bearcats to know you are in our thoughts and prayers. We have the highest respect for Quay and pray for a speedy recovery.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:19 am

bluedawg wrote:Prayers going up from Stamford. May God bless this family.

Thank you Bluedawg.... Best wishes...
Last edited by HawleyRocks on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:20 am

PurplePunch wrote:We've been quiet, but the Punchers want the Bearcats to know you are in our thoughts and prayers. We have the highest respect for Quay and pray for a speedy recovery.

Many thanks to you and the Punchers.... Best wishes...

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:06 am

District 4-2A Sweeps in the 2nd Week !!!!!

Anson 47, Haskell 24
Forsan 34, Eldorado 6
Hawley 33, Bangs 6
Post 44, Tahoka 0
Stamford 20, Munday 14

Congratulations on a great night !!!!

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:23 am

The Bearcats Were Out In Full Force Tonight and All Were Victorious....

Kind of a weird night, and as I was sitting in Hildago's Mexican Restaurant in Coleman TX, I got to noticing that we were sitting with fans from De Leon (Bearcats) as they were playing Winters (Blizzards). We (Hawley Bearcats) were on our way to Bangs (Dragons) and in doing so we passed through Santa Anna (Mountaineers) and they had a home game playing the Garden City (Bearcats). Then when we got home and were watching our recorded Football Friday Night TV Show, we find out Ballinger (Bearcats) had a home game playing Grape Creep (Eagles)...

All these Bearcats in the same general area last night and all were victorious.... Be warned, we were on the hunt.... Ha Ha... :)) :))

Santa Anna Mountaineers 0, Garden City Bearcats 74
Ballinger Bearcats 44, Grape Creek Eagles 6
Winters Blizzards 6, De Leon Bearcats 53
Bangs Dragons 6, Hawley Bearcats 33

Congrats to the Bearcats Last Night.....

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:43 am

Stamford bounces back from the nightmare from last week and beats Munday. Munday as always has speed but so does Stamford. Seems like the Dawgs are still searching for the right players at the right position. They have a lot of talent and feel they will make a splash every week in Dist play. Played 3 different QB's last night and all 3 had their ups and downs. gonna have to settle on one of them to get the whole team in on the same page. GO Blue

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:42 am

Week 3

Anson 2-0 @ Jim Ned
Forsan 1-1 @ Stanton
Hawley 2-0 @ Hamlin
Post 1-1 @ Coleman
Stamford 1-1 vs Merkel

Some good games this week that could further define District 4.... Who have you got?

**== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **==

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:44 am

Week 3

Anson 2-0 @ Jim Ned, Anson by 6
Forsan 1-1 @ Stanton, Forsan by 14
Hawley 2-0 @ Hamlin, Hawley by 20+
Post 1-1 @ Coleman, Post by 14
Stamford 1-1 vs Merkel, Stamford by 7

Good Luck to District 4, another shutout????

**== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **==
Last edited by HawleyRocks on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:35 am

HS Football Roundup: Post shuts out Tahoka, more

Sep 09, 2017

http://lonestarvarsity.com/news/37368/h ... oka,-more/

Wow, Post completely shuts down Tahoka last Friday night... They held them to minus fifteen yards rushing and a meager ten yards passing... Talk about pitching a shutout ...

I noticed that a Dealan Reed was mentioned in this story, any chance he's kin to last years' AJ Reed???

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:38 am

Big Country Q&A: Anson's Chris Hagler sees program becomes his own

By Evan Ren

Big Country Q&A: Anson coach Chris Hagler Evan Ren

http://www.reporternews.com/story/sport ... 651905001/

After inheriting a team that had gone 10-2 for two straight years under former coach Keith Woolf, Chris Hagler gradually has molded an Anson Tigers team into his own image.

Through three years of working through heavy graduation losses while installing his own system, Hagler has taken the Tigers through two consecutive deep playoff runs while posting a combined 23-16 record.

With Anson entering this week's game against 2-0 Jim Ned at Tuscola also 2-0, Hagler talks to the Reporter-News about his program, his son (Drew) taking Big Country Player of the Week honors, and some of his biggest coaching influences in this week's Big Country Q&A.

Q: Coach, thanks for joining us. First, your kiddo was our Big Country Player of the Week last week. Talk about what it was like to see him perform at that level in his first varsity start.

A: "It was kind of strange for me at the beginning. I told my coaching staff that I was a little nervous and I haven't been that way in the previous 18 years, going into a game. I've (always) felt really good and whether it was a good game plan or bad game plan, my nerves weren't an issue. But this last Friday night it was a special deal because it was his first varsity start. He had a lot to prove, so I was a little nervous for him. We got off to a good start, things got rolling, and when you get caught up in that as a head coach, you're really not able to judge a quarterback as your son. You're judging his performance based on if he makes a right read or is making good decisions. ... When we got to the (field house) on Saturday morning and I got to watch all that film, break it down and grade it, (I saw) that he did some things that were years above where he's at as (a sophomore). ... He was able to square up safeties when he broke through line, he was able to make good reads. He did a lot better job than I imagined on Friday night."

Q: Coach, can you believe this already is your fourth year?

A: "Yes, this is Year 4 and it's hard to believe. But with the success we've had, it makes it easier. Time does fly when you're having fun, so it's flown by. The people of Anson have been great to me. We've got a great administration. Jay Baccus is a great superintendent. So it's just been so enjoyable and the people have been so supportive. It's Year 4 and it flew by in a hurry."

Q: "Well, that gave you time to put your stamp the program. Tell us about your program now that you've got your system installed."

A: "I was just talking to our senior class the other day when we gave out decals. They get up and speak about what being on the varsity means to them and they were talking about how they were going to be freshmen when I first came in. I got to visit with them during a lot of spring track meets as eighth-graders and they couldn't believe how time has flown by. But that's a good thing and it's obviously better than the first year. A first year is a nightmare for a head coach, whether he's been a head coach before, or whether it's his first head coaching gig. ... But it's a good deal once you get the cornerstones in place, the discipline, the expectations and things of that nature, then things go a whole lot smoother. ... It's been a wild ride and a fun ride, but we're not done yet. We hope to keep building on our success and we look forward to that."

See Evan Ren's entire video interview with Hagler at:reporternews.com/sports/big-country

BOLDGOLD

Postby BOLDGOLD » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:50 am

HawleyRocks wrote:HS Football Roundup: Post shuts out Tahoka, more

Sep 09, 2017

http://lonestarvarsity.com/news/37368/h ... oka,-more/

Wow, Post completely shuts down Tahoka last Friday night... They held them to minus fifteen yards rushing and a meager ten yards passing... Talk about pitching a shutout ...

I noticed that a Dealan Reed was mentioned in this story, any chance he's kin to last years' AJ Reed???

It's his cousin, he plays wide receiver and defensive back

Dirtysims
Donating Member 16/17

Postby Dirtysims » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:29 pm

My week 3 picks
Jim Ned by 7
Forsan by 14
Hawley by 20+
Post by 17
Stamford by 7

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:08 am

Fridays games
Jim Ned 56 Anson 16
Stamford 39 Merkel 20
Post 41 Coleman 0
Hamlin 26 Hawley 16
Forsan 44 Stanton 14

I know it just one game but the original predictions of this district might be not so accurate.

Stamford lost a good Sr athlete to a broken leg. He played QB and Safety. Hope he heals well and can play baskerball, which he excels at also.

bluedawg
Donating Member 16/17

Postby bluedawg » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:29 am

Week 4

Stamford over Haskell
Albany over Anson
Post over Idalou
Lubbock Christian over Hawley
Forsan over Big Lake

Dirtysims
Donating Member 16/17

Postby Dirtysims » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:41 am

Week 4 picks
Stamford by 8
Albany by 21
Post by 14
Hawley by 7
Reagan County (Big Lake) by 10

HawleyRocks
Donating Member 16/17

Postby HawleyRocks » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:07 pm

bluedawg wrote:Fridays games
Jim Ned 56 Anson 16
Stamford 39 Merkel 20
Post 41 Coleman 0
Hamlin 26 Hawley 16
Forsan 44 Stanton 14

I know it just one game but the original predictions of this district might be not so accurate.

I cannot speak to Anson, but I can certainly speak to the Hawley loss, we did not show up to play and were inside the red zone four or five times and did not score... We absolutely played horrendous... But in saying this, I do not want to downplay how well Hamlin played... They played their hearts out and were certainly the better team on the field this night...

Stamford lost a good Sr athlete to a broken leg. He played QB and Safety. Hope he heals well and can play baskerball, which he excels at also.

I want to pray for Noah Horn and I hope that he has a speedy recovery... I am told that he is an outstanding basketball player, so I certainly hope to see him for basketball...

Return to “2A Texas Football”