2017 Softball

Ladies with bats, any questions??
WindthorstDad

2017 Softball

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:09 am

2017 Softball officially starts in 21 days!!!
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

WindthorstDad

Re: 2017 Softball

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:11 am

I realize we're still playing basketball but I'm sure feeling the 'ol softball withdrawal blues lately. Curious to see what our Windthorst Trojanettes bring to the diamond this season. Sure was fun going to state last year and finishing runner-up.

I expect our district to be tough once again. What's your team looking like this year?
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

Blue bayou

Postby Blue bayou » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:26 pm

Here's last season's final poll; want to bet it will be the first 2017 pre-season poll too ;)

2016 TGCA Softball Poll - June 6, 2016

Class 2A

1. Shiner
2. Windthorst
3t. Crawford
3t. Harleton
5t. Beckville
5t. Weimar
5t. Trenton
5t. Archer City
9t. Ralls
9t. Harper
9t. Bosqueville
9t. Groveton
9t. Lockney
9t. Joaquin
9t. Bells
9t. Kaufer
17t. Forsan
17t. Hawley
17t. Ira
17t. Petrolia
17t. Martin's Mill
17t. Cushing
17t. Hawkins
17t. Slocum
17t. Moody
17t. Axtell
17t. Deleon
17t. Riesel
17t. Thrall
17t. Sabinal
17t. Milano
17t. Three Rivers
Honorable Mention: Van Horn, West Texas, Hermleigh, Junction, Alvord, Ranger, Frost, Honey Grove, Charlotte, Evadale, Normangee and Port Aransas.

lynx

Postby lynx » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:15 am

Harleton and Beckville have moved up a classification

Sandiettesoftball

Postby Sandiettesoftball » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:41 pm

Grapeland will be pretty solid. The Grapeland teams of the past always had good pitching, Groholski went on and pitched 4 years at Houston(D1)then Lumbreras replaced her and last we knew she signed with St Edwards(D2) but then decided she had enough of softball. Last season they did not have a true pitcher. It was either their SS or OF pitching. They still managed to make the playoffs in an always scrappy district and took a good Joaquin team to game three in their series. This year they add a 5'10 FR Lefty that throws 58-60 consistently. She is a travel ball pitcher with a lot of experience. They lost 1 starter and will again be pretty young. Probable starters are 3 SR, 1 JR, 3 SO, and 2 FR. Another interesting fact about Grapeland was that in the past 6 years they had 4 different coaches. We got one now that is looking to build this program into a solid contender. Our AD went out and found a Softball coach that can coach football. It's usually the other way around in 2A Softball.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:42 am

lynx wrote:Harleton and Beckville have moved up a classification

I missed that change but I guess that opens up Region III with the top two from last season moving up. Does Joaquin get the early nod in Region III? I know Slocum was good but are they 1A or 2A for this year?

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:33 am

Slocum reported 102 students so they are 1A

Blue bayou

Postby Blue bayou » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:37 am

It all starts in the circle in softball so it sounds like Grapeland has a great start from what Sandiettessoftball has posted. Travel ball means better competition and typically better coaching so the more players involved in travel ball, the better. Bet Grapeleand will make some noise for a few years to come.

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:26 pm

I heard today that Shiner is having 36 girls going to come out for Softball ! Boy and some of them are real good but its going to be real hard for some of these girls not getting to play much with that many girls trying to find playing time ! The JV will help take more than half but still trying to play this many girls, you would hope that they also a freshman team and play any JV teams you can find ? Anyway this maybe a good problem to have !

GO BIG C

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:16 pm

BIG C - your girls were terrific at the state championship and had us on our heels from the start. I would love a rematch ;)

36 players is great! We typically have about that many as well and if we had enough pitching/catching could also probably field a freshman or second JV team. Love the turnout and commitment from these young ladies.

Good luck this year!

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:36 pm

WindthorstDad how many returning starters will the Lady Trojan's have this year !Shiner will have seven back from the state team and the other 2 and more were on the team , just didn't get to play in the state tournament due to there were 3 seniors that got the start !
Can't wait to see them in action this new season ! Anyway Good luck to Windthorst this season ,sure would love to see the same outcome as the last two seasons !

GO BIG C !

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:34 am

BIG C FAN wrote:Lady Trojan's have this year

You mean Trojanettes!!!

I think we lost the following starters: P, 1B/RF, 2B, LF.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:36 pm

BIG C FAN wrote:WindthorstDad how many returning starters will the Lady Trojan's have this year !Shiner will have seven back from the state team and the other 2 and more were on the team , just didn't get to play in the state tournament due to there were 3 seniors that got the start !
Can't wait to see them in action this new season ! Anyway Good luck to Windthorst this season ,sure would love to see the same outcome as the last two seasons !
GO BIG C !

Correct, our girls are called the Trojanettes and not Lady Trojans. Don't feel too bad, our fans have corrected many an PA announcer when they get it wrong. ;)

We have five starters returning. Our RF will be our pitcher this year. She pitched in the state championship game the final two innings. We have some fast JV players from last season who will take over 2B, LF and RF.

BIG C - I believe your 3B will be pitching this year, correct? What other positions does Shiner return?

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:43 pm

I believe Archer City and Petrolia return more starters than Windthorst. Our district will be tough again and would not be surprised to see the Region I represented by one of these teams at the state tournament.

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Shiner will have to replace the pitcher with the 3b player Bethany Nevelud and 3b will probably be the Lauran H ,Whose also pitches and her sisters were also state champs a few years back .And then they will have to replace the first basemen which will be between two girls ,Coach Cereny's daughter and Clair Patek who played some last season also ? The rest will return to their same spots from last year ! Should be another strong season witch I think their bats will be stronger than last year ! Anyway time will tell how everything works out !

GO BIG C !

lynx

Postby lynx » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:04 pm

The pitching for Shiner will have lots of depth...there are 3 returning from last year and 2 freshmen who are supposed to be solid as well. Other positions being filled depending on hitting and what gives you the best chance to win defensively. Weimar should have some much needed pitching depth as well and best returning pitcher other than Milano's ....Milano and Thorndale should be considered as contenders for Region 4 as well. Windy is right...that region will be AC/Windy/ Petrolia...my $$ is on them. There will be some surprises this year.....wait until May!

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 am

Lynx - as we've talked over the years, it all begins in the circle and pitching depth is a huge plus. Shiner and Windthorst had it last year and it appears Shiner will be loaded again in the circle. With the majority of Shiner's bats returning, I'd give them the edge to return to state once again. I was truly impressed with their hitting. Weimar may be the only team that could prevent them from reaching state. With Harelton and Beckville moving up; I do not know which teams from Region II or III will emerge. I do believe that Region I will be represented by either Windthorst/Archer City/Petrolia. All three have decent starting pitching but AC returns the most starters. All three lost some to graduation so I am not sure any will be stronger at the plate than the others. It might come down to defense - fewest errors may rule the day. Should be fun!

startrekie

Postby startrekie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:43 pm

Region III is going to be very very weak without Beckville and Harleton in there.
I wouldn't put much stock in Grapeland quite yet. Lost in the first round, and still have some holes. Not saying that they can't, just remains to be seen.
Joaquin has a good pitcher. Who looks even better than she did last year. Region III is by far the weakest of the four.
Guys, it's Shiner and everyone else. With Weimar being a close 2nd. It will come down to those two yet again, and the winner of that region will win the whole thing. Continually impressed the way that can produce. Both squads.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:21 pm

startekie - It appears Joaquin played Harleton fairly close (lost 2-3 and 0-6) so if they have a strong pitcher returning and some players to support her, could they be the choice in Region III? How good was Slocum?

I must agree with you that State is Shiner's to lose. They seem to be returning a very strong team.

Sandiettesoftball

Postby Sandiettesoftball » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:56 pm

Startekie, bold talk for some one who is saying it's too early to tell who will be good or not. Region 3 will be pretty solid without Harleton and Beckville. I bet Martins Mill and Grapeland will have something to say about your prediction.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Will Crawford, Trenton, Bosqueville and Bells be top dogs in Region II again?

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:50 pm

AC offense should be better more mature d should be better all around. AC also added some pitching w move ins but they are freshmen. Petrolia has the Alexander girl a true stud and some and will be talented but young and lost some big bats but the Brooklyn girl is a player as well as the King girl. .. Seymour is a team that could pull off an upset always athletic and pitcher Swinhoe is solid but has rattled easy in the past. Windthorst should be solid again but lost some really good sticks that will be hard to replace and some good leaders as well. Had to rank top to bottom

AC
Ptown
Windthorst
Seymour

With top 3 not much separation except depth and experience. AC will be senior heavy and I always go w the more experienced team

Blue bayou

Postby Blue bayou » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:02 am

Region II - Crawford only graduated three players, although all were starters including their pitcher. Their #2 pitcher who did get action in the state semi-final game vs Windthorst, returns. I think Bosqueville may surprise some this year as they bring back a good core.
Region III - will be different but no less competitive with team mentioned earlier by startrekie; Grapeland may surprise.
Region I - outside of D8 only Junction and Hawley threatened the trio of Archer City, Windthorst and Petrolia. I still see Region I represented by one of those three D8 teams.
Region IV - NOW, until beaten, the 2A state title will still most likely reside with a D28 team with Shiner being the most likely candidate. Thorndale will make some noise but other than Weimar, not sure anyone beats Shiner.

Blue bayou

Postby Blue bayou » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:09 am

Have to agree with acesful assessment of Region I District 8 teams. AC lost two decent bats but returns a load of talent and should be the early favorite. I believe Petrolia returns most of their core including all-everything Lindy Alexander, Brooklyn Bunch and Kaylee King. The lady pirates will be stronger this year. Windthorst will be solid again but did lose some big sticks. They add some very fast JV players so expect to see more small ball this season vs the long ball. Seymour has some decent players and when Swindell is on in the circle she can be tough to hit. Bunting against them has been effective the past few seasons. Over-all I do not think Seymour has enough bats to contend with the top three. I think this district comes down to fewest errors and who can stay healthy.

Blue bayou

Postby Blue bayou » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:46 am

Previous post mentions replacing top players so I was curious who all graduated; the list is not 100% just a WAG.
Petrolia - Sidney Mobley, Kayla Heflin, Coty Chase, Kody Mataska, Macy Ridinger
Windthorst - Jenna Glawe, Cy Schroeder, Breann Schreiber, Kolbi Martin
Seymour - Maggie Slaggle, Sydney Stafford, Hanna Rivers
Archer City - Madison Howard, Madison Lucido, Ashton Dunkel (not sure if Dunkel was a Sr. last year)

Interesting note that Petrolia graduated so more talent than I had previously thought. Windthorst moves Brooklyn King to the mound and Kat Pitman to 2B but loses some serious power at the plate. Seymour loses some all-around talent and speed. AC is most interesting as who will become the catcher with Howard's graduation. Lopez can catch but is so valuable at SS. Lucido's speed can't be replaced and if Dunkel did graduate, her bat was a big one.
...just some ramblings but looks like AC is well ahead of the pack.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:21 am

Pretty sure Ashton Dunkel graduated a couple years ago? Just goggling her name she comes up as a member of Texas A&M equestrian team for 2015-16.

Blue bayou

Postby Blue bayou » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:27 am

Windthorstfan wrote:Pretty sure Ashton Dunkel graduated a couple years ago? Just goggling her name she comes up as a member of Texas A&M equestrian team for 2015-16.

My mistake, I meant Sidney Dunkel?

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Blue bayou wrote:
Windthorstfan wrote:Pretty sure Ashton Dunkel graduated a couple years ago? Just goggling her name she comes up as a member of Texas A&M equestrian team for 2015-16.

She wasn't listed on AC's roster on Gamechanger last year?

Blue bayou

Postby Blue bayou » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:
Blue bayou wrote:

She wasn't listed on AC's roster on Gamechanger last year?

I used MaxPreps http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/ar ... er-city,tx)/softball-spring-15/roster.htm

I agree Gamechanger would have been better.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:41 pm

Perhaps she was on JV last year - think she is a junior this year.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:55 am

2017 UIL Sanctioned Softball practices can officially start today. Put in the work ladies and we'll see you on the dirt!

Blue bayou

Postby Blue bayou » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:56 pm

A couple weeks ago North Texas was hit with a 3+ inch rain storm and everything, including softball and baseball fields are still a mess. Curious if coaches are practicing gyms or maybe on turf football fields?

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:33 pm

Most 2A schools are probably still in basketball!!!

Blue bayou

Postby Blue bayou » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:37 am

You are correct most 2A teams are playing basketball, however, those softball players who do not play bball started softball last week. This is a good time to get the younger softball players up to high school speed and work on fundamentals as many area bball teams will be in the playoffs soon which means early softball tournaments will be played by young (freshman, sophomore, etc.) players and a few experienced varsity players until the softball players currently also playing basketball are available.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Sidney Dunkel is younger sister of ashtyn dunkel...the oldest graduate d ,2 yrs ago when ac was eliminated by Hawley.. it was also last yr Sidney played she is a SR but hasnt played ball since that yr

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:12 pm

2017 Texas Girls Coaches Association Pre-Season Softball Poll - January 30, 2017

Class 2A

1. Shiner
2. Windthorst
3. Crawford
4. Evadale
5. Weimar
6. White Deer
7. Bells
8. Freer
9. Archer City
10. Thrall

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:00 pm

Now that the basketball playoffs are being scheduled, its also about that same time softball scrimmages kick off. Where is everyone's team scrimmaging this week or next? 2A Windthorst scrimmages at 3A Holliday today.

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Shiner scrimmaged # 7 Cuero and came out on top 8 to 6 , And also Victoria St Joe and came on top 16 to 2. And tomorrow they face #5 Halletsville Should be another good test for the Lady Comanches !

GO BIG C !

santafecomanche

Postby santafecomanche » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:36 pm

What did Shiner do last night against Hallettsville?

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:22 pm

Shiner scrimmaged #5 Halletsville Friday and came out on top 3 to1 with both starting pitchers keeping each others team at 0 ,Shiners other picture did a great keeping Halletsville off track only to give up a home run to Halletsville ace pitcher. Shiner was going to play Gonzales today ,but Gonzales cancelled so hopefully they will play Friday.

GO BIG C !

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:18 pm

I noticed on Twitter TXPrepSoftball ranked the teams in Region I as follows:
1. Archer City
2. Haskell
3. Petrolia
4. Windthorst
5. Hawley

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:27 am

Windthorstfan wrote:I noticed on Twitter TXPrepSoftball ranked the teams in Region I as follows:
1. Archer City
2. Haskell
3. Petrolia
4. Windthorst
5. Hawley

I would not place Haskell better than #5 in this group. Early I would say your give the nod to AC with Windthorst and Petrolia nearly even.

1. Archer City
2. Windthorst
2. Petrolia
4. Hawley
5. Haskell

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:31 am

2A Windthorst scrimmaged at 3A Holliday last Friday. Windthorst won 12-2. Each team had several starters still playing basketball, Windthorst's only varsity players were the pitcher and catcher. Windthorst starting pitcher pitched two innings striking out six batters. #2 Pitcher (Freshman) was throwing heat and struck out six in four innings. Hitting was about what you'd expect in an early scrimmage. Nothing really to take from this except the girls were finally able to hit the dirt.

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Shiner picked up its second straight Class 2A state championship last season after the Lady Comanches shut out Windthorst 13-0 on a perfect game by Cece Darilek.
Now, Shiner will be looking to take the long road back to state.

"We are off to a good start so far," said Shiner head coach Steven Cerny. "The girls came in Day 1 working hard and aren't dwelling off what we did last year. We're having a great time right now."
Shiner finished with a 31-5 record last season, and begin the season ranked No. 1 in the Class 2A Texas Girls Coaches Association preseason poll.
"Our No. 1 goal this year is to be district champions," Cerny said. "A lot of things have to go your way to win a state championship, and it's not easy. Right now, we're just focused on getting better with each practice."
The Shiner and Weimar rivalry will continue in District 28-2A.
Emma Holland and Makayla Kunz are returning for their senior seasons for the Lady Cats, who are ranked No. 5 in the preseason poll.

The Lady Comanches return several key players, including two all-state juniors Bethany Nevlud and Kailey Williams.
"Last year, it was a total team effort," Cerny said. "It's never been about one player carrying the team. One of our strengths last year was that we were solid one through nine. This year, we will be looking to continue to do that with a solid lineup surrounded by great defense."
Lauren Schuette is back at second base, while Mackinly Pilat and Hannah Nevlud are back in the outfield.
"We put a big emphasis on our defense and that's something that every team needs in order to be successful."

GO BIG C !

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:01 pm

Shiner Lady Comanches will head to Rice tomorrow for a tournament should be a good start for the season !

GO BIG C !

BIG C FAN

Postby BIG C FAN » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:15 pm

Shiner beat Rice 11 to 1 in 4 innings and then beat Van Vleck 5 to 1 today and will play Columbus and Bellville tomorrow , should be another good match up for the Ladies Comanches!

GO BIG C !

santafecomanche

Postby santafecomanche » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:04 pm

⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️
The Lady Comanches just finished up at the Rice Consolidated Tourney. They faced very good competition vs 3A, 4A and a 5A schools. They ended with a record 4-0-2. Games had time limits and were drop dead, hence the ties.

Shiner 11, Rice Consol 1 (3 innings)
Shiner 5, Van Vleck 1
Shiner 10, Columbus 0 (3 innings)
Shiner 4, Lamar Consolidated 4
Shiner 1, Bellville 0
Shiner 0, East Bernard 0

Way to go Ladies & Coaches!l

Pigskin Swammy
Donating Member 17/18

Postby Pigskin Swammy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:04 am

Valley View Lady Eagles defeated Callisburg, Ponder, Farmerville & finished with a tie 2 all against Archer City in the Sanger tournament .

Starting two freshman along with 6 & sometimes 7 sophmores... We have a several very good ball players coming up in JH. This team will slip up on a few folks this year, and next year I think we are poised to make a run!
The most under utilized pc of football equipment is 5 man & 7 man blocking sledd

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:33 am

Good start to the season for Windthorst. Fielding only 2 varsity starters mixed in with sophomores and freshman, the Trojanettes went 4-2 this weekend. Losses were to 3A Amarillo River Road and 3A City View while wins were over 3A Nocona, 5A Wichita Falls High School, 3A Jacksboro, and 2A Haskell. Great experience for the younger players and next week we will have the rest of our varsity players back.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:34 am

Pigskin Swammy wrote:Valley View Lady Eagles defeated Callisburg, Ponder, Farmerville & finished with a tie 2 all against Archer City in the Sanger tournament .

Starting two freshman along with 6 & sometimes 7 sophmores... We have a several very good ball players coming up in JH. This team will slip up on a few folks this year, and next year I think we are poised to make a run!

Sounds like Valley View has a promising future. How do you think this year's team ranks in your district?

Return to “Texas Softball”