Shiner vs. Windthorst

Ladies with bats, any questions??
Philo Beddoe

Shiner vs. Windthorst

Postby Philo Beddoe » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Well it's down to these 2, should be a good one, we still owe Windy one from that 2003 State Final in football, lol. Crazy thing is Cerny coached that game as well, he'll be going for his 5th State Title as a head coach tomorrow.

Bearcat77

Re: Shiner vs. Windthorst

Postby Bearcat77 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:05 pm

so any inside info to share ??...overall should be another great CHAMPIONSHIP game...

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:15 pm

I just don't know anything about Windthorst to even make an intelligent prediction. This bunch of girls from Shiner is a very talented group, and have some girls that are money in big moments. They had a very tough District opponent in Weimar, dropped a couple of games to them, but stepped it up when they had to. Coach Cerny is an excellent leader, always has the girls well prepared, and has tons and tons of experience in big games. I know Windy will be ready for us, may the best team win!

Bearcat77

Postby Bearcat77 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:51 pm

Shiner uses 3 main pitchers
25 Cece Darilek............Senior-P..20-3.
12 Bethany Nevlud..Sophomore--P..7-2.
6 Lauren Haas..........Freshman-P...2-0.

Pitcher Bethany Nevlud has 2nd highest batting avg w/.463.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
no common opponents..
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Windthorst uses 2 main pitchers.
20 Cy Schroeder...Senior P..23-0.
25 Brooklyn King..Junior P....9-2.

2 batters over .500.
15 Emily Schroeder...............Junior C .528
32 Tatum Veitenheimer..Sophomore SS .558

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:40 pm

Philo Beddoe wrote:Well it's down to these 2, should be a good one, we still owe Windy one from that 2003 State Final in football, lol. Crazy thing is Cerny coached that game as well, he'll be going for his 5th State Title as a head coach tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure you owed us that one after whipping us 12-5 in the Baseball State Semi-finals in 2002!!!

santafecomanche

Postby santafecomanche » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:34 pm

These are two great programs. Being from Shiner and the Lady Comanches being current state champions I think they will repeat. 6 in a row for reg 4 and district 28. Good luck to all the ladies. If we were to loose there isn't a classier team to loose too than Windthorst. Even through our two towns are so far apart there is quite a bit of history between the to towns.

Cottontop

Postby Cottontop » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:16 am

Rain could be the biggest factor. I sure hope I'm wrong tho. If we weren't in it. I'd be pulling for Shiner, but I have to root for the Trojanettes. The game will be on Mixir for those wanting to listen.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:15 am

Windthorstfan wrote:
Philo Beddoe wrote:Well it's down to these 2, should be a good one, we still owe Windy one from that 2003 State Final in football, lol. Crazy thing is Cerny coached that game as well, he'll be going for his 5th State Title as a head coach tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure you owed us that one after whipping us 12-5 in the Baseball State Semi-finals in 2002!!!

You got me, forgot about that one!! Guess we're all even now, hope the weather lets them play sometime today.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:47 am

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Windthorstfan wrote:

You got me, forgot about that one!! Guess we're all even now, hope the weather lets them play sometime today.

Truth be told we defeated you in the 2008 Volleyball State Semi-finals 19-25, 25-19, 25-17, 25-20 on our way to a thrilling 5th set win over Iola in the Championship match. So I guess we are 1 up on you but I wouldn't mind if we go 2 up!!!

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:41 am

Looks like I may get to make this game after all, a 6:30 start will sure help me get there on time!

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:16 am

Philo Beddoe wrote:I just don't know anything about Windthorst to even make an intelligent prediction. This bunch of girls from Shiner is a very talented group, and have some girls that are money in big moments. They had a very tough District opponent in Weimar, dropped a couple of games to them, but stepped it up when they had to. Coach Cerny is an excellent leader, always has the girls well prepared, and has tons and tons of experience in big games. I know Windy will be ready for us, may the best team win!

Should be a good one. Windy lineup 1-9 is tough. Windy is aggressive on base paths and couple ladies you bobble they're safe at 1. Windy coach is not scared to try to move them. Cy likes the rise ball as a go to pitch/pitchers count. Brooklyn King is no slouch as second pitcher. AC hit her second game but couldn't find the gaps, she did an excellent job of making us swing the bat and Windy's d played great.

My objective opinion is Shiner repeats; however, if Shiner is not on their A game, Windy will take it. Windy is great at taking advantage of extra outs.

Bearcat77

Postby Bearcat77 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:00 pm

UPDATED THURSDAY JUNE 2, 12:30 pm

" the La Grange vs. Brownwood Softball State Tournament game Began at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, June 2.

The remainder of Thursday's games will proceed on a rolling schedule, with approximately 30 minutes between each game."

http://www.uiltexas.org/

Bearcat77

Postby Bearcat77 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Upcoming Events
Softball 2016 UIL 2A Softball Championship
Shiner-vs-Windthorst
Jun 02 2016 | 5:00 PM CDT -

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/associations/uil

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:53 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by acesfull on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Cece Darilek perfect through 3 - Windthorst hasn't hit a ball out of the infield

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:14 pm

Shiner 3 outs away from State Championship

13-0 after 4

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:25 pm

Cece throws a perfect game as Shiner defeats Windthorst 13-0

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:08 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:Cece throws a perfect game as Shiner defeats Windthorst 13-0

A perfecto is hard in any game but in a state title game against a solid hitting line up is off the charts.

Congrats to both teams

Most had shiner but if you would have bet me that shiners pitcher wld throw a perfect game I would be homeless tonight. Not to mention 15 hits in 5 innings. What do y'all do down there?

Cottontop

Postby Cottontop » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:11 am

Congrats Shiner. Yall are on another level.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:22 am

First off, congrats Windthorst, I know it's never easy to lose the last game, but 2nd out of the whole State isn't too shabby. This bunch of girls have always been just a step better than the competition, they never had a problem winning the local little league tourneys and most of the time winning the Sectional rounds. We probably have 4 girls that will go on to play college ball, 2 of them are still Sophs. We will lose our starting pitcher next year, but our 3rd baseman is a very capable replacement, so we should be right back in the midst of things next year. Baseball and softball is just very big in this area, there are a lot of very good little league coaches and they just get off on the right track, then you got a guy like Cerny who is just flat out a great coach and he molds them into the team they are. They are a pleasure to watch, the crowd we had there for a softball game was just ridiculous. Crazy thing is Weimar is right there with us, and I'm sure they'll be fierce competition again next year.

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:36 pm

Philo Beddoe wrote:First off, congrats Windthorst, I know it's never easy to lose the last game, but 2nd out of the whole State isn't too shabby. This bunch of girls have always been just a step better than the competition, they never had a problem winning the local little league tourneys and most of the time winning the Sectional rounds. We probably have 4 girls that will go on to play college ball, 2 of them are still Sophs. We will lose our starting pitcher next year, but our 3rd baseman is a very capable replacement, so we should be right back in the midst of things next year. Baseball and softball is just very big in this area, there are a lot of very good little league coaches and they just get off on the right track, then you got a guy like Cerny who is just flat out a great coach and he molds them into the team they are. They are a pleasure to watch, the crowd we had there for a softball game was just ridiculous. Crazy thing is Weimar is right there with us, and I'm sure they'll be fierce competition again next year.

Don't forget about Haas either, she is a good pitcher too.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:11 pm

Yeah, but it's gonna be Nevlud's job next year for the most part.

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:43 pm

Philo Beddoe wrote:Yeah, but it's gonna be Nevlud's job next year for the most part.

Yeah, she will have 2 years still after that. Nevlud will be a senior next year right?

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:49 pm

this was just brought to my attention by an old friend. Since 2000, Shiner, Weimar and Flatonia have compiled 13 championships. 6 from Shiner, 5 from Weimar and 2 from Flatonia. 3 of Weimars were a classification up in the old 2A. Just a lot of darned good softball down here in district 28

ganado
Donating Member 16/17

Postby ganado » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:57 pm

Congrats Shiner! Always competing for state championships.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:32 pm

ComancheAlumni06 wrote:
Philo Beddoe wrote:Yeah, but it's gonna be Nevlud's job next year for the most part.

Yeah, she will have 2 years still after that. Nevlud will be a senior next year right?

She's only gonna be a Jr.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:29 pm

Congrats again Shiner no doubt best in the state. Other regions and districts have a lot of catching us to do.

ACs lone state softball title came against Weimer 2-1 in old 2a so even if they don't win it they're always right there. To win it your going to have to beat one of these teams

lynx

Postby lynx » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:19 pm

acesfull is correct on region 4 being the state title contender year in and year out. Region 1 has had Windthorst and Coahoma back in the early 2000's were some of the strongest in small school softball....Bosqueville and even Harleton, with no title yet, but been there often the past 6 years. Big difference the past 6 years has been moving pitching distance back 3 feet putting more emphasis on defense and small ball. Shiner has done that and Weimar as well. The girl in the circle has to be able to throw strikes with movement and hit spots. It's not all about mph...there is tons of competition in region 4 area and Houston area so these schools see lots of good pitching, slappers and games getting them ready to play at a high level. Softball in general has really grown all over the state and the coaching and players are getting better as well. You also have to have some luck along the way or games that just go your way. Congrats to all of the schools getting to state...Windthorst, Harleton, Crawford and Shiner....getting there is the hard part....everything else is icing on the cake.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:34 pm

Honest top 5

1) Shiner
2) Weimer
3) Windthorst
4) Archer City
5) Harleton(losing your stud before state tough don't think they beat shiner but maybe a closer outcome)

Blue bayou

Postby Blue bayou » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:14 pm

I was at the championship game and even if Windthorst had played well, I believe Shiner was still better. I agree with Lynx, you have to have solid pitching (movement) and must be able to play some small ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see Shiner and Harleton (if Phillips recovers) back next year and suspect the winner of Windthorst/Archer City battle will represent Region I again.
Great year for high school softball!

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:37 pm

Blue B

Totally agree only team that cld beat Shiner is out of their own district. I don't care if you played it 10 times. Pitching is a big part but small ball and timely hits is just as important and having timely hits, the routine plays(however speed makes the routine more difficult especially in softball).

As far as next yr we have a while but I would put AC as early reg favorite out of 1 w what they have returning(7 returning starters counting flex and a lady that has started), a stud freshman catcher w a big stick to immediately start and should be better overall than this year from top to bottom.

But that's a year a way so on to summer ball

ComancheAlumni06

Postby ComancheAlumni06 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:28 am

Philo Beddoe wrote:
ComancheAlumni06 wrote:

She's only gonna be a Jr.

Gotcha

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:15 am

ComancheAlumni06 wrote:this was just brought to my attention by an old friend. Since 2000, Shiner, Weimar and Flatonia have compiled 13 championships. 6 from Shiner, 5 from Weimar and 2 from Flatonia. 3 of Weimars were a classification up in the old 2A. Just a lot of darned good softball down here in district 28

Flatonia defeated us 3-0 in 2003 Championship game.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:40 am

Think Coahoma was a 2A (now 3A) school that was a thorn in AC's side for many years. Clyde Eula moved down and was a thorn in side before we moved to Region II, now back in Region I obviously!!

Blue bayou

Postby Blue bayou » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:50 am

acesfull

Agree that Archer City, with seven returning starters, should get the nod as the early favorite. Replacing Howard at catcher will be important. Windthorst will move King to the mound which means replacing two outfielders, a first baseman and a second baseman. Believe pitching will be fine but will the new starters be able to produce at the plate is the question. Not sure what Seymour loses to graduation but they should improve over last year. Petrolia will have most of their starters back I believe including their big-hitting pitcher Lindy Alexander. The rest of that district will be looking in from the outside.

Blue bayou

Postby Blue bayou » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:53 am

State Tournament

As witnessed by Crawford vs Windthorst; as long as the Region II umpires allow pitches to get away with "crow-hopping" they are doing them a disservice as it will be called at state. If Harleton pitcher, Randi Carroll Phillips, returns from injury, expect them to be in the mix again next year. And until beaten; Shiner reigns as champions and we should expect to see them return to state again next season.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:19 am

I caught the beginning of Florida State and Auburn in the CWS last night. It appeared to me that Auburn's pitcher had a bit of a hop in her wind-up. Then again I do not know anything about softball pitching but they had chalked each side of the rubber to the the circle and she always seemed to be to the left of that rectangle. Harleton's back-up pitcher was also called for some illegal pitches in their semi-final game against Shiner.

Blue bayou

Postby Blue bayou » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:39 am

Windthorstfan

All softball pitcher's lead leg will come off the ground which is fine; the key is the trailing foot must drag the dirt. It cannot come off the ground while the lead leg is "airborne". That is called crow-hopping and was called in several state games this year. In state as in college, officials also chalk the width of the rubber (2') to the circle. The pitcher's foot must be inside or in contact with the chalked line to be legal. If they release the pitch while outside the line, it is an illegal pitch.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:12 pm

I would have liked to seen her feet in slo motion since it sure seemed like to me that her pivot foot(trail) was in the air just a bit. She was pretty close to being out of the "box".

Return to “Texas Softball”