Iowa Park Coaching Change

Ladies with bats, any questions??
WindthorstDad

Iowa Park Coaching Change

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:38 am

Evan Ren ‏@BigCountrySport 5m
Abilene Cooper softball coach Ron Howard has resigned to take the same position at Iowa Park.

Not 2A but this is big news from our area that Ricky Ledford, long-time Iowa Park softball coach, chose not to return. Looks like they grabbed an Abilene coach. I do not know his credentials or coaching record.
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

lynx

Re: Iowa Park Coaching Change

Postby lynx » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:53 pm

He coached at 1A North Zulch before his one year gig in Abilene...he had been at Iowa Park I believe 10 or so years prior...ask Mr Taylor, he might know.

hardrockers

Postby hardrockers » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:39 am

We all accredit Mr Taylor with any success there anyways I am assuming.

I am joking, I love Mr Taylor though.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:48 pm

I agree, Glen Taylor is top notch.
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

lynx

Postby lynx » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:48 am

True story about Mr Taylor and I....he asked me to help coach his daughter and a select group of girls back in the late 80's/early 90's. Told him if you want to get better and grow in softball you have to play tough tournaments...went to DFW area/Duncan, Okla/Lake Jackson/Midland. Great group of parents and sponsors who after 2 yrs donated bags, 3 sets of uniforms, etc. Glen had a field built with help of some dads in the middle of his land....backstop, dirt, bases and a few stickers. That began the passion for softball for Glen and went from there...lots traveling, time and effort to where he has that facility now. I have traveled many miles with him to see his daughter play in college and just to watch some softball somewhere...HS or College World Series. Glen is a major force in that area for softball getting stronger and more people understanding the game and improving, especially in the short game. I even think he still has a used grill I gave him back in 1994 when I had moved from there. We still talk often and discuss softball and recall some hilarious stories about the journey of softball in that area.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:49 am

I see that old field on his land every weekend we go to hitting lessons with Glen. Of course, he has sheep on it now instead of softball players but it's still there. :)) Glen's hitting barn sees plenty of action. He has three girls hitting in each hour time slot Sun-Fri and the waiting list is always long to get a spot. I've always credited Glen with improving both of my daughter's performance at the plate but he also takes time to talk to them and teach the game, different situations, ask how their fielding is doing,etc. Great man with a love of softball.

Return to “Texas Softball”