District 10 Div I Basketball

Hitting the gym Baby!!!
Windthorstfan

Re: District 10 Div I Basketball

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:47 pm

As we have said the next one is the important one. We had a great team win last win. Can't recall where we took a bad shot or forced a shot. I know everyone wants to get in the score column, but ultimately points scored belong to the team and not the individual per se. Personally I would rather have Jim Bob score 30 and we win instead me taking bad shot after bad shot and not giving the ball to Jim Bob cause I don't want him to score more than me or my brother, or my best friend, etc, etc, etc. I just want to win. Think we saw that with our Trojans last night - very unselfish with the ball. Newspaper only had Zack George with 5 assists but it seemed like he had twice that many to go with his 16 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks.

I'm sure there is a team out that could give us problems with a press but we have 5 or 6 guys that can handle the rock, which in years past we did not. Zack is a tough match-up at 6-6 cause he is truly a shooting guard and would much rather play out there, but I like the way we use him in high post. Reminds me of Josh Wolf from about ten years ago, of course Josh wasn't 6-6, but you get him the ball there and he can knock down the FT jumper, he can beat his man off the dribble since he is typically guarded by one of those as Coach Rackley calls them "lineman type" players, or he can pass over the top of the defense.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:58 pm

I think you nailed it with "unselfish". I bet we've had four different guys lead us in assists at different times this season. Leading scorer this week may only have 1 point next week, but it doesn't matter as long as the team succeeded. This team plays to win as a team first! They play with the attitude "we have no stars - just a team" but I do believe Zack George is the leader and puts forth his best for his team each game.
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:00 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:Newspaper only had Zack George with 5 assists but it seemed like he had twice that many to go with his 16 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks.

Seemed like he nearly had 5 assists by middle of the second quarter. That total does not seem right to me.
Most good judgment comes from experience. Most experience comes from bad judgment. - Anonymous

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:50 am

George, Trojans run by Wildcats - Windthorst moves into 2nd in 10-A race
Donny Victory/Special to the Times Record News

WINDTHORST — A 9-0 run by Windthorst Tuesday night dashed Archer City’s hopes for an undefeated run through the second half of district play that would have ensured at least a tie for the district lead. The run to begin the second half was the main catalyst for a 63-47 Trojans’ victory. “The last time we played Archer we had a 10-point lead at half and let them tie the game back up,” Windthorst forward Zack George said, “And this time we knew we had to come out with some intensity.” And he did all he could to make sure Windthorst didn’t come out flat. George was directly responsible for each of the nine points to begin the third. He hit a 3-pointer, two free throws and had two assists to ignite the Trojan second-half blast. Windthorst (11-13, 5-2) had built a nine-point lead in the first half. The lead was built on strong defensive play and exceptional free-throw shooting, going 100 percent from the charity stripe in the first half. A pretty impressive feat that coach Joe Rackley said he had never had a team perfect from the free-throw line for an entire half before in his coaching career.

George’s all-around effort included 16 points, nine rebounds, five assists and three blocks. But more importantly he was a deterring force that disrupted the Wildcat offense. “We shot in the twenty percent range from the field tonight,” said Archer City coach Ethan Lunn, “and Zack’s presence in the paint was a big reason for that. The way he played in the paint kept us out of our offense.”

Rackley praised the 6-6 forward’s versatility. “He can play with his back to the goal and score, he can shoot threes and I don’t have any problems letting him run the point because of his ball handling and passing ability,” Rackley said.

The Trojans’ Chandler King was the leading scorer with 21. King is confident in his team’s ability. “If we can keep up this pace, if we can play this way in the rest of our games we can go a long way,” King said.

Case Caldwell was the leading scorer for Archer City (14-8, 4-3) with 14.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:50 am

You can tell Donny is an AC graduate with the way story starts out!!! Why else bring up AC's hope for a clean run through the second half. I knew Donny from his days of playing for the Blacksox during the summer in the early 90s, so I talked to him before the game. He felt we were the best two teams in district and whoever won would win district. I had to tell him we had already lost to Olney twice.

The 9-0 run might have sealed the deal, but our 12-4 run over the final 3:56 of the first half opened the 9 point lead a halftime.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:06 am

Windthorstfan wrote:You can tell Donny is an AC graduate with the way story starts out!!! Why else bring up AC's hope for a clean run through the second half.

Well that helps answer a few questions about recent basketball roundup stories he posted in the Archer County News. Still trying to figure out where he's getting his story-line and stats information. Heck, one week he said we beat Electra when we actually had played Petrolia. :))

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:11 am

OK, I admit I'm getting spoiled. TwoMarksHand, I didn't see your standings update after Tuesday's games.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:27 am

Boys:
Olney 6-1 Wins (Windthorst 2X, Archer City, Electra, Petrolia, Seymour) Loss (Seymour)
Windthorst 5-2 (Archer City 2X, Electra, Petrolia, Seymour) Losses (Olney 2X)
Archer City 4-3 (Petrolia 2X, Electra, Seymour) Losses (Windthorst 2X, Olney)
Electra 4-3 (Petrolia 2X, Seymour 2X) Losses (Archer City, Olney Windthorst)
Petrolia 1-6
Seymour 1-6

Games Remaining
Olney: Petrolia, @ Archer City, @Electra
Windthorst: @ Seymour, Electra, @ Petrolia
Archer City: @ Electra, Olney, Seymour
Electra: Archer City, @ Windthorst, Olney
Petrolia: @ OIney, Seymour, Windthorst
Seymour: Windthorst, @ Petrolia, @Archer City

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:33 am

If Archer City beats Electra tonight, Electra may be close to be eliminated from the playoff picture; assuming the Olney and Windthorst both win tonight.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:30 pm

That win over windy for girls have them some breathing room w olney and Electra lft to play on district. Big big win. May keep them out of playoff to have make the playoffs...although not done Seymour girls may rally to beat windy and ptown and still have a playoff.
Last edited by acesfull on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:33 pm

acesfull wrote:That win over windy for girls have them some breathing room w olney and Electra lft. Big big win

Yes, Archer girls should be in better shape. I was actually referring to the Archer boys; thinking if they beat Electra again, then they should be sitting pretty good.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:35 pm

WindthorstDad wrote:
acesfull wrote:That win over windy for girls have them some breathing room w olney and Electra lft. Big big win

Yes, Archer girls should be in better shape. I was actually referring to the Archer boys; thinking if they beat Electra again, then they should be sitting pretty good.

Oh I know was just commenting on girls side which is still pretty packed except for yall. Yeah win tonight boys are most likely in and don't rule out us beating Olney in last game

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:47 pm

Electra boys probably have the most difficult schedule left facing Archer City, Windthorst and Olney. Could go lose all three knocking them out of the picture. Good luck tonight.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:12 pm

I don't think any game on the boys side is an automatic win. I don't think it happens but it is still possible that 4-6 can get in at third depending on how things play out.

TwoMarksHand

Postby TwoMarksHand » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:11 pm

Sorry guys about the delay I got it done Wednesday but have been away from the computer and didn't gets chance to post it...it'll be up shortly
uva uvam vivendo varia fit

TwoMarksHand

Postby TwoMarksHand » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:18 pm

Tonights picks:
Olney over Petrolia...Even if Petrolia can get hot, it won't be enough to down Olney
Windthorst over Seymour...The free throw shooting by Windthorst continues to turn heads
Archer City over Electra...whew tough pick with the game at Electra, always a tough place to play

TwoMarksHand

Postby TwoMarksHand » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:33 pm

Archer City beat Electra by 2 with 1.5 seconds left.
AC had the ball underneath Electras basket with 1.5 on the clock, threw it deep and the post caught it off the defensive tip and put it in right as the buzzer went off.
Best game iv seen all season.
Huge credit to Electras boys, they came back from a 8 point deficit to tie it at the last seconds of the game

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:41 am

Girls
Archer City 13 25 34 44
Electra ......7 14 22 33
FT (A) 8-19 (E) 4-11

Windthorst 8 16 22 28
Seymour ...6 17 27 40
FT (W) 6-13 (S) 12-20

Petrolia 7 16 25 32
Olney ...6 13 17 31
FT (P) 5-7 (O) 1-2

Windthorst 7-2
Archer City 6-3
Petrolia 6-3
Seymour 6-3
Electra 1-8
Olney 1-8

Electra @ Windthorst
Olney @ Archer City
Seymour @ Petrolia (winner makes playoff - Petrolia won first game)

IF Windthorst beats Electra and AC beats Olney, then AC and winner of Petrolia-Seymour tie for second - split district match-up.
Other scenario is Windthorst loses, AC wins, and Seymour wins - 3 way tie for first
One other scenario not sure what happens is Windthorst loses, AC wins, and Petrolia wins - while all three teams are tied Windthorst beat Petrolia twice. Not sure the tie-breakers in that situation.

IF AC were to lose to Olney would force playoff for 3rd spot.

Boys
Windthorst 12 24 45 53
Seymour ....6 20 34 47
FT (W) 9-15 (S) 5-10

Olney ...13 25 36 47
Petrolia 10 17 28 38
FT (O) 10-12 (P) 4-10

Archer City 16 26 41 58
Electra .....13 24 36 56
FT (A) 7-11 (E) 9-14

Olney 7-1 * Clinched playoff spot
Windthorst 6-2 at worst finishes in tie for 3rd spot
Archer City 5-3
Olney 4-4
Petrolia 1-7
Seymour 1-7

TwoMarksHand

Postby TwoMarksHand » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:33 am

Update for Post Game 8...None of the teams again changed positions, only if something crazy happens it looks like this order will be the final when everything is said and done.

TwoMarksHand

Postby TwoMarksHand » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:40 am

Was just looking at the TABC picks for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, before the season started and they picked Seymour, Electra, and Olney in that order...wow they got that wrong

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:42 am

I would say they overlooked the two Archer County teams :)

TwoMarksHand

Postby TwoMarksHand » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:15 am

Today's picks:
Windthorst over Electra...If Windthorst doesn't mess around this will be another hard fought win
Seymour over Petrolia...Looking for Seymour to avenge Petrolia's only win
Archer City over Olney...I just want to see a shake up and an upset...Olney won with a buzzer beater the first game

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:50 am

I like your picks. Tonight is our last home game and senior night. Let's hope our Trojans and Trojanettes finish with victories.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:12 am

Simple playoff scenarios based on outcomes of tonights
Olney win clinches district title
Windthorst win clinches at least second place (two wins head to head against AC, Olney would have to lose out and Windthorst win out for Windthorst to win district) and regardless of outcome of other games Archer clinches 3rd as they defeated Electra twice so best Electra could finish was 5-5 and worst AC would finish is 5-5.

Headache scenarios
Olney loses out, AC wins out, and Windthorst splits final two games - AC, Olney, Windthorst all finish at 7-3 (Olney beat WHS twice, WHS beat AC twice, OHS and AC split)
Olney loses out, AC wins out, Electra Wins out, Windthorst loses out - AC, OHS 7-3, WHS & Electra 6-4 - AC - Olney playoff for DC, WHS-EHS playoff for 3rd
Olney beats AC, Electra wins out, Windthorst loses out, AC beats Seymour - Olney 8-2, AC, EHS, WHS 6-4 (AC beat EHS twice, WHS beat AC twice, Electra-WHS split)
Electra wins out, AC & Windy lose out - Olney 8-2, Windthorst & Electra 6-4, AC 5-5
Electra wins out, AC loses out, Windthorst splits - Olney 8-2, Windthorst 7-3, Electra 6-4, AC 5-5

TwoMarksHand

Postby TwoMarksHand » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:15 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:Simple playoff scenarios based on outcomes of tonights
Windthorst win clinches at least second place (two wins head to head against AC, Olney would have to lose out and Windthorst win out for Windthorst to win district) and regardless of outcome of other games Archer clinches 3rd as they defeated Electra twice so best Electra could finish was 5-5 and worst AC would finish is 5-5.

Headache scenarios
Olney loses out, AC wins out, and Windthorst splits final two games - AC, Olney, Windthorst all finish at 7-3 (Olney beat WHS twice, WHS beat AC twice, OHS and AC split)
Olney loses out, AC wins out, Electra Wins out, Windthorst loses out - AC, OHS 7-3, WHS & Electra 6-4 - AC - Olney playoff for DC, WHS-EHS playoff for 3rd
Olney beats AC, Electra wins out, Windthorst loses out, AC beats Seymour - Olney 8-2, AC, EHS, WHS 6-4 (AC beat EHS twice, WHS beat AC twice, Electra-WHS split)
Electra wins out, AC & Windy lose out - Olney 8-2, Windthorst & Electra 6-4, AC 5-5
Electra wins out, AC loses out, Windthorst splits - Olney 8-2, Windthorst 7-3, Electra 6-4, AC 5-5

Its crazy how this far into district play that there is still a way for a three-way tie for first, and the way these games have gone, the chances really aren't that bad.

I could definitely see each one of these scenarios playing out.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:51 pm

TwoMarksHand wrote:Its crazy how this far into district play that there is still a way for a three-way tie for first, and the way these games have gone, the chances really aren't that bad.

I could definitely see each one of these scenarios playing out.

Any given night is an understatement in district play. Nothing is out of the realm in this district!!!

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:42 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:Simple playoff scenarios based on outcomes of tonights

Headache scenarios

Wow...One reason I don't keep up with basketball. I just wait until the get in the regional tournaments.
Defense wins Championships!

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:01 pm

My head hurts been doing too much thinking - typically 1st tiebreaker is head to head so in scenario where Olney loses out, AC wins out, and Windthorst splits final two games - AC, Olney, Windthorst all finish at 7-3 (Olney beat WHS twice, WHS beat AC twice, OHS and AC split)

A. Olney 3-1, Windthorst 2-2, Archer City 1-3 = Olney #1 Qualifier, Windthorst #2 based on head to head against AC, AC#3

I would also think in a scenario where Windthorst, AC and Electra are tied at 6-4 Windthorst would be 3-1, AC 2-2 and Electra 1-3 so Windthorst would be #2 and AC #3 if 1st tiebreaker is head to head records. So an Olney win tonight clinches District title as well makes Windthorst the runner-up -

This may be all incorrect.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:09 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:So an Olney win tonight clinches District title as well makes Windthorst the runner-up -
This may be all incorrect.

I looked at all your scenrios, to the best of my limited ability, and I believe you are right.

The last one I had not given any thought but if Olney beats AC tonight then yes, Olney is #1 and Windthorst is #2. AC hold head-to-head over Electra so they would most likely be #3

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:10 pm

All this is too wordy; here's my predicted finish:

1) Olney
2) Windthorst
3) Archer City

dogfan1
Administrator

Postby dogfan1 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:16 pm

Agreed =))

Eagle 1
Administrator

Postby Eagle 1 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:56 pm

dogfan1 wrote:Agreed =))

You know you love Image

:))
Defense wins Championships!

dogfan1
Administrator

Postby dogfan1 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Hmmf... Gym Rats

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:58 pm

AC GIRLS ARE IN...CONGRATS LADIES

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:31 pm

Trojanettes clinch district title with 73-31 win over Electra. Petrolia defeated Seymour 31-30 to clinch playoff spot. Tied with AC for second.

Trojans win 54-50.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:26 pm

Damn guess we now have to have a playoff game for second and 3rd.yuck

TwoMarksHand

Postby TwoMarksHand » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:56 am

I was under the impression that they are going to flip a coin to decide second and third for the girls

TwoMarksHand

Postby TwoMarksHand » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:14 am

Another good round of games, and it looks like the the playoff spots are all sealed.

Olney clinches 1st, Windthorst clinches 2nd, and Archer City get the last playoff spot.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:19 am

TwoMarksHand wrote:Olney clinches 1st, Windthorst clinches 2nd, and Archer City get the last playoff spot.

Glad to see both Archer county teams make the playoffs. Good job both girls and boys teams.

What impressed me the most was once again how close the boys district games were. Most were single digit victories with some 1-point victories. Very entertaining basketball that keeps you on the edge of your seat not knowing which way the ball would bounce.

TwoMarksHand

Postby TwoMarksHand » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:23 am

WindthorstDad wrote:
TwoMarksHand wrote:Olney clinches 1st, Windthorst clinches 2nd, and Archer City get the last playoff spot.

Glad to see both Archer county teams make the playoffs. Good job both girls and boys teams.

What impressed me the most was once again how close the boys district games were. Most were single digit victories with some 1-point victories. Very entertaining basketball that keeps you on the edge of your seat not knowing which way the ball would bounce.

What makes a huge difference is when playoffs start, all these teams know how to win when it comes down to a last second play. This is a vastly underrated skill that you normally don't think about.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:27 am

TwoMarksHand wrote:
WindthorstDad wrote:

What makes a huge difference is when playoffs start, all these teams know how to win when it comes down to a last second play. This is a vastly underrated skill that you normally don't think about.

Agree that the district experience will be very helpful. I may be old school, but I still think you can win/lose at the free-throw line and the way we shot free-throws this season, I like our chances.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:05 am

Girls
Olney ........3 16 22 27
Archer City 13 22 31 40
FT (O) 6-10 (A) 7-18

Electra ......5 11 22 31
Windthorst 14 39 51 73
FT (E) 2-3 (W) 14-24

Seymour 4 15 23 30
Petrolia .3 13 20 31
FT (S) 6-10 (P) 6-9

Windthorst 8-2
Archer City 7-3
Petrolia 7-3
Seymour 6-4
Electra 1-9
Olney 1-9

Boys
Seymour .8 16 28 45
Petrolia 16 30 39 49
FT (S) 7-11 (P) 7-9

Olney .......12 26 39 54
Archer City 11 27 43 48
FT (O) 17-26 (A) 6-18

Electra .....5 19 24 50
Windthorst 9 17 32 54
FT (E) 7-11 (W) 21-32

Olney 8-1
Windthorst 7-2
Archer City 5-4
Electra 4-5
Petrolia 2-7
Seymour 1-8

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:12 pm

Looking at free throw numbers - have to think if Archer shoots better than 33% from FT the game might have turned out the other way. I saw some boo-hooing on social media about the officials, but you can't shoot 33% from the FREE throw line and expect to win. Wonder how many of those misses were front end of 1&1's?

In two games against Electra, Windthorst shot 60 FTs making 38 a tidy 63.3%, slightly below their district average of 64.2%. In Electra's other 7 games they have given up 78 FTs, avg of 11 yet Windthorst shot 28 and 32.

Olney leads district at 68.5% Archer City is the lowest at 50.8%

Windthorst has made 13 more FTs than their opponents have attempted, Olney has made 7 more than their opponents have attempted.

Only game Olney has lost in district they were outscored at the FT line.

TwoMarksHand

Postby TwoMarksHand » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:52 am

Another fun slate of games tonight, picks for tonight:

Windthorst over Petrolia...Can Petrolia come off last weeks win to keep it going? No, not at all
Archer City over Seymour...Very high chance this game comes down to free throws, buzzer beater wins this game
Olney over Electra...Look for Olney to finish off a strong district with another win

Winner of the Haskell and Albany playoff game (tied for 2nd/3rd) will play Archer City, and the loser will play Windthorst.

TwoMarksHand

Postby TwoMarksHand » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:56 am

Windthorstfan wrote:Looking at free throw numbers - have to think if Archer shoots better than 33% from FT the game might have turned out the other way. I saw some boo-hooing on social media about the officials, but you can't shoot 33% from the FREE throw line and expect to win. Wonder how many of those misses were front end of 1&1's?.

Whew you hit the nail on the head...Many times those free throws were 1&1's.
If you can't hit your free-throws, you can't win a game.
Refs were decent, of course there are always missed calls here and there, but you cant expect much from the Wichita system.
Sure glad that in the playoffs most of the refs come from Ft. Worth or somewhere better.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:58 am

Going to be lots of traffic heading to Windthorst tonight after the Petrolia-Windthorst boys game as Petrolia and Archer City girls play at 8 to break their tie!!!

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:Going to be lots of traffic heading to Windthorst tonight after the Petrolia-Windthorst boys game as Petrolia and Archer City girls play at 8 to break their tie!!!

It will be busy! After our football game in Petrolia there this season, my nephew said he pulled over 17 people speeding. Folks better watch the speed limit tonight.

WindthorstDad

Postby WindthorstDad » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:15 pm

TwoMarksHand wrote:Another fun slate of games tonight, picks for tonight:

Windthorst over Petrolia...Can Petrolia come off last weeks win to keep it going? No, not at all
Archer City over Seymour...Very high chance this game comes down to free throws, buzzer beater wins this game
Olney over Electra...Look for Olney to finish off a strong district with another win

Winner of the Haskell and Albany playoff game (tied for 2nd/3rd) will play Archer City, and the loser will play Windthorst.

Just for fun, I'm going to pick Electra to pull the upset over Olney.

Where and what time are Haskell and Albany playing? I'd like to watch (scout) that game.

Mudder

Postby Mudder » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:27 pm

I don't think the Albany/Haskell game is officially scheduled yet, but heard it will be Monday or Tuesday in Anson. They both still have to win their final district games tonight (Albany vs Anson and Haskell vs Hamlin) in order to have the "playoff" game.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Petrolia 73 Windthorst 58

Jumped on us and never looked back

Return to “Texas Basketball”