2A Stud pitchers

Shooting for the perfect game!
Philo Beddoe

2A Stud pitchers

Postby Philo Beddoe » Mon May 16, 2016 10:59 am

Just curious what kind of stud pitchers are out there in 2a ball, how hard do they throw (legit), and if they have a scholarship to play college ball? You hear all these rumors about so and so having a guy that throws 90, just seeing if there's any truth to that.

Shiner's ace is Sr. Ty Condel, he throws a legit 85-87, has some smaller colleges looking at him, but not committed yet.
Our 2nd pitcher is Jr. Ty Boedeker, he throws 83-84, his Dad pitched back in the day at Sam Houston, but he has a year to go.

TEXASHOLDEM

Re: 2A Stud pitchers

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Mon May 16, 2016 11:12 am

CP (jr) #1 pitcher is committed to A&M as a catcher but pitches for us just cause he throws so hard. He has been clocked this year 87-91 range by several different scouts. Has a good breaking ball and change up but can flat out swing it from the left side.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Mon May 16, 2016 11:26 am

Cool, when him and Lafond get together this week, there will be some serious heat getting thrown.

hardrockers

Postby hardrockers » Mon May 16, 2016 12:50 pm

Windthorst has a guy or two that might be in the 80's. Petrolia's Mataska might hit low 80's. Clarendon had a guy that could bring it a little.

Thats just all eye test, didn't clock any of them.

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Mon May 16, 2016 12:57 pm

I know LaFond who is a junior at Refugio is back throwing around 91 after Tommy John surgery. Not sure what is pitch count is up to now. However Refugio's #1 pitcher is Van Ness, throws more in the high 80's(might touch low 90's) but probably is a better pure pitcher then Lafond. Refugio's pitching is pretty good but I worry about their offense against elite staffs.

TEXASHOLDEM

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Mon May 16, 2016 1:13 pm

It will be an interesting series indeed. I know our boys are just small town hill country boys that can play a little baseball do most things fundamentally correct. Not sure how we handle those types of pitching staffs. Saw us play Johnson City and there #1 was pretty quick with a solid curveball. The #1 from Riviera was also pretty solid pitcher.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon May 16, 2016 1:58 pm

Reisel's Jase Embry's profile on Perfect Game.org has him clocked at 89 during the summer of 2015. Abilene Reporter News in the game story on Reisel and Deleon stated he has pegged the gun at 93.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Tue May 17, 2016 12:19 pm

abe froman wrote:I know LaFond who is a junior at Refugio is back throwing around 91 after Tommy John surgery. Not sure what is pitch count is up to now. However Refugio's #1 pitcher is Van Ness, throws more in the high 80's(might touch low 90's) but probably is a better pure pitcher then Lafond. Refugio's pitching is pretty good but I worry about their offense against elite staffs.

Throughout the season, Jacoby Avery has been Refugio's #2 pitcher. He has pitched almost as many innings as Cole VanNess, and a lot more than D'mond LaFond. Avery is a Sophomore. I don't know if this changed late in the season or not, but LaFond has not pitched very much.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

TEXASHOLDEM

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Tue May 17, 2016 12:32 pm

Well thru out the season Walters has been our number 1 with Junker our number 2 and Kitchens our number 3 and they all are about equal in innings rotating each start all year. So all 3 have seen quality innings all year and have not been over used. It should be a great series this week.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Tue May 17, 2016 1:19 pm

TEXASHOLDEM wrote:Well thru out the season Walters has been our number 1 with Junker our number 2 and Kitchens our number 3 and they all are about equal in innings rotating each start all year. So all 3 have seen quality innings all year and have not been over used. It should be a great series this week.

That's wonderful. I was just trying to clear up some misinformation about who the main pitchers for Refugio were. Good Luck.
It's a pretty good day when you're on your way and you like where you're going. And you've got what you want and you want what you've got and you're wise enough to know it.

TEXASHOLDEM

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Tue May 17, 2016 1:25 pm

I figured la Mond would have had more innings

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Tue May 17, 2016 2:55 pm

TEXASHOLDEM wrote:I figured la Mond would have had more innings

I did too, but I really haven't been paying attention to the box scores much this year.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue May 17, 2016 3:32 pm

TEXASHOLDEM wrote:Well thru out the season Walters has been our number 1 with Junker our number 2 and Kitchens our number 3 and they all are about equal in innings rotating each start all year. So all 3 have seen quality innings all year and have not been over used. It should be a great series this week.

Have not been "overused"?!!! Innings pitched is overrated - number of pitches is better a number to study. In 2 games your #1 threw over 300 pitches. That's a lot of wear and tear on an arm.

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Tue May 17, 2016 3:56 pm

Again due to Tommy John surgery LaFond has been very limited in pitch counts. Also Avery has been more then adequate especially in Refugio's district. It will be interesting to see how they approach this series in game 2 and possibly game 3.

acesfull

Postby acesfull » Tue May 17, 2016 4:02 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:

Have not been "overused"?!!! Innings pitched is overrated - number of pitches is better a number to study. In 2 games your #1 threw over 300 pitches. That's a lot of wear and tear on an arm.

300 thats crazy..although when AC had a great pitching staff, game 1 against Dodd City our number wuthrich threw 185 pitches, which AC ended up losing that game and the series, due to poor staff management

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Tue May 17, 2016 4:13 pm

Geez, I'm glad our coach has more sense than that. Our #1 had to come back in to close out Game 2 of the both series, but he didn't throw more than 80 in either Game 1's. This is why we'll have a pitch count soon.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Tue May 17, 2016 5:02 pm

abe froman wrote:Again due to Tommy John surgery LaFond has been very limited in pitch counts. Also Avery has been more then adequate especially in Refugio's district. It will be interesting to see how they approach this series in game 2 and possibly game 3.

Who pitched for Refugio in the second game of the Harper series?

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Tue May 17, 2016 7:52 pm

Avery kid pitched but after reading and looking at Center Point they probably are stronger then Harper so I wonder if Refugio will think about using LaFond

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Tue May 17, 2016 10:47 pm

abe froman wrote:Avery kid pitched but after reading and looking at Center Point they probably are stronger then Harper so I wonder if Refugio will think about using LaFond

Thanks, that is what I thought. Center Point is the runner up in District 29 and Harper was the third place team in District 29, so yes, CP would seem to be stronger than Harper was. In head to head match-ups, Harper beat Center Point 5-4 in the first game and CP beat Harper 2-1 in the second match-up. So they seem to be pretty close on second look. Center Point did beat Johnson City, the district champs, once, and Harper lost to Johnson City twice, once by a score of 1-0. So again, CP and Harper seem to be pretty close, with a slight edge to CP, just from what info I have. Should be a good series.

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed May 18, 2016 8:20 am

acesfull wrote:
Windthorstfan wrote:

300 thats crazy..although when AC had a great pitching staff, game 1 against Dodd City our number wuthrich threw 185 pitches, which AC ended up losing that game and the series, due to poor staff management

In fairness there were 11 days between those two games. He threw around 150 on 4/8 and then 160 on 4/19. There were two games played between the games and since they rotate their 3 pitchers I assume he didn't pitch in either of those blowout wins.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Wed May 18, 2016 8:24 am

Yeah, that kinda make a difference if there was that much time between starts.

TEXASHOLDEM

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Wed May 18, 2016 8:35 am

yes that is correct 10 days between starts for all of our pitchers. Can only remember 1 time during district that we used a relief pitcher.

wacofan

Postby wacofan » Wed May 18, 2016 12:18 pm

Philo Beddoe wrote:Geez, I'm glad our coach has more sense than that. Our #1 had to come back in to close out Game 2 of the both series, but he didn't throw more than 80 in either Game 1's. This is why we'll have a pitch count soon.

I had Condel at 87 pitches in the first game against Holland when i came to scout. He was hitting 87-89 in the first inning of that game.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Wed May 18, 2016 12:48 pm

wacofan wrote:
Philo Beddoe wrote:Geez, I'm glad our coach has more sense than that. Our #1 had to come back in to close out Game 2 of the both series, but he didn't throw more than 80 in either Game 1's. This is why we'll have a pitch count soon.

I had Condel at 87 pitches in the first game against Holland when i came to scout. He was hitting 87-89 in the first inning of that game.

Well 87 pitches it was then, lol. I was just going by what my son, who plays on that team told me, but close enough. It seemed like he was throwing a little harder against Shiro, he was bringing it. He's our horse, been that way since he was 9, hope he'll put us on his back this week.

wacofan

Postby wacofan » Wed May 18, 2016 1:26 pm

Yes he is very good. One of the best I've seen at the 2a level. I hear Big Sandy has a pitcher who will hit 90-92 and is only a Junior. There is a ton of talent in Region 4 that's for sure.

jon91

Postby jon91 » Thu May 19, 2016 11:33 am

Are any of these games going to be on the radio?

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu May 19, 2016 11:45 am

Chico/Windthorst will be on Mixlr over the internet

jon91

Postby jon91 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:36 pm

Is Refugio/Center Point going to be on the radio?

jon91

Postby jon91 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:03 pm

Who did Center Point pitch tonight?

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri May 20, 2016 8:48 am

jon91 wrote:Who did Center Point pitch tonight?

Refugio's gamechanger shows Walters, their ace, pitched all 10 innings

Lafond started the game and went 2.1 innings, Avery pitched 6.2 innings to pick up the win and Van Ness pitched the final inning to pick up the save.

Walters stuck out 16 while Avery K'd 7 while Lafond had 4 and Van Ness had 2

Refugio had 9 hits in the game while Center Point only mustered 7, but walked 9 times in the game while Refugio walked once. four CP batters reached on HBP while Walters hit one of Refugio's batter.

CP left 16 on base while Refugio left 6.

A 2 out single in the tenth brough LaFond to the plate who delivered with a triple for the game winning RBI. Lafond was 3 of 4 with 2 triples driving in 2 RBIs. He only scored once and that was on a balk in the 3rd inning when Refugio scored three times to take a 3-0 lead.

Back to back HBP in the third inning to start the inning and Kitchens delivered an RBI single to score CP's first run of the game. Lafond struck out the next batter and then was taken out of the game having thrown 63 pitches (must be on a pitch count?) Avery hit the first batter he faced and a sac fly brought in the second run of the inning. Avery K'd the next batter to get out of the inning.

A two out double by Phillips followed by a Zendejo's single tied the game at 3 in the 6th inning. Walters walked before a fly out to CF ended the threat. Appears Refugio was real careful pitching to Walters as he had 4 walks including intentionally in the 10th moving the tying run to second with one out, but a ground out and strike out ended the game. Walters was 1 for 1 and was also HBP.

TEXASHOLDEM

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Fri May 20, 2016 8:58 am

it was a hell of a game to watch. Great stadium, great atmosphere, Walters 16 k's and only 1 walk. Heck we even out hit them 7 to 6. Cp left 16 runners on base had every chance to win that game. I've got to give Refugio credit every time they got in a jam they got out of it. Should be interesting Saturday with La Fond throwing 70 pitches and Avery throwing 7 innings and I guess Van Ness will start since he only threw 1 inning

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Fri May 20, 2016 1:02 pm

Man, sounds like a great game, you guys would've been in pretty good shape with that one, but now it's gonna be tough with Van Ness going. He just don't give up much, but I don't know what other pitchers you guys have.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Fri May 20, 2016 4:31 pm

TEXASHOLDEM wrote:it was a hell of a game to watch. Great stadium, great atmosphere, Walters 16 k's and only 1 walk. Heck we even out hit them 7 to 6. Cp left 16 runners on basee had every chance to win that game. I've got to give Refugio credit every time they got in a jam they got out of it. Should be interesting Saturday with La Fond throwing 70 pitches and Avery throwing 7 innings and I guess Van Ness will start since he only threw 1 inning

The article by Windthorstfan said Refugio had 9 hits and CP had 7. I can say that Refugio is exactly where they want to be. Getting that win with Avery and LaFond pitching, and being able to pitch Van Ness, a THSBCA 1st team all-state pitcher last year, in game 2 is big for Refugio. I'm not saying CP can't win, because they absolutely can. They're just in a hole in my opinion.

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Sat May 21, 2016 6:48 pm

I heard Cole VanNess pitched a no hitter against Center Point in game 2 of their series. Can anyone confirm this?

abe froman

Postby abe froman » Sat May 21, 2016 6:50 pm

He did

Windthorstfan

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon May 23, 2016 8:07 am

MrBob wrote:
TEXASHOLDEM wrote:it was a hell of a game to watch. Great stadium, great atmosphere, Walters 16 k's and only 1 walk. Heck we even out hit them 7 to 6. Cp left 16 runners on basee had every chance to win that game. I've got to give Refugio credit every time they got in a jam they got out of it. Should be interesting Saturday with La Fond throwing 70 pitches and Avery throwing 7 innings and I guess Van Ness will start since he only threw 1 inning

The article by Windthorstfan said Refugio had 9 hits and CP had 7. I can say that Refugio is exactly where they want to be. Getting that win with Avery and LaFond pitching, and being able to pitch Van Ness, a THSBCA 1st team all-state pitcher last year, in game 2 is big for Refugio. I'm not saying CP can't win, because they absolutely can. They're just in a hole in my opinion.

Just to clarify the article I wrote was based on stats from Refugio's Gamechanger - Center Point may have ruled a hit an error. I was in the process "writing" my write up when HoldEm posted!! not trying to step on anyone's toes!!!

MrBob
Donating Member 16/17

Postby MrBob » Mon May 23, 2016 8:36 am

Windthorstfan wrote:
MrBob wrote:

Just to clarify the article I wrote was based on stats from Refugio's Gamechanger - Center Point may have ruled a hit an error. I was in the process "writing" my write up when HoldEm posted!! not trying to step on anyone's toes!!!

Yeah, me neither. It really does not matter, either way.

TEXASHOLDEM

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Mon May 23, 2016 9:13 am

It was what the Wimberley score board had during the game. But we must tip our hats to Refugio and congrats to them. It was a fun series for sure would have really liked to have won game 1 Thursday and see what would have happened in game 3. But the Van Ness kid did a great job in game two. Good luck this week.

Return to “Texas Baseball”