2016 Baseball

Shooting for the perfect game!
hardrockers
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:00 pm

Windthorstfan wrote:
hardrockers wrote:Quanah and Petrolia will more than likely end up having to do a playoff game.

Petrolia is dangerous if Mataska is on and they play good defense behind him. They occasionally get in trouble when their defense lets them down thus giving their opponent extra outs.


Quanah is dangerous if Leija is on and the defense is behind him. Fuqua pitched basically a 1 hitter against Petrolia the other day, with only 1 error committed. Mataska was 0-4 never even got on base.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:12 pm

As a whole Petrolia's offense isn't very good unless the other team is walking batters(HBP) and committing errors. Petrolia's GC shows Petrolia with 3 hits 1 of which was off Leija who came in after Fuqua had walked the first two batters in the 7th. Fuqua walked 6 in 6 innings of work so his WHIP was 1.33. Petrolia's GC also showed that after Leija got the first out of the inning Mataska singled to load the bases but a strikeout and pop out to RF ended the game.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:05 am

District 9-2A Results
Archer City 6 Seymour 0 - Brady Kyle struck out 12 in the shut out
Quanah 7 Electra 6
Windthorst 18 Petrolia 4

Interestingly Mataska didn't pitch against Windthorst - they play Electra Friday who they previously defeated without him pitching. They play Seymour Tuesday and then close out the regular season the following Tuesday with Archer City.

Standings
Windthorst 6-0
Archer City 5-2
Seymour 4-3
Quanah 3-3
Petrolia 2-5
Electra 0-7

Friday's Games: Petrolia @ Electra, Quanah @ Archer City, Windthorst @ Seymour

Blue bayou
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:00 am
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Blue bayou » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:52 am

Windthorstfan wrote:District 9-2A Results
Archer City 6 Seymour 0 - Brady Kyle struck out 12 in the shut out
Quanah 7 Electra 6
Windthorst 18 Petrolia 4

Interestingly Mataska didn't pitch against Windthorst - they play Electra Friday who they previously defeated without him pitching. They play Seymour Tuesday and then close out the regular season the following Tuesday with Archer City.

Standings
Windthorst 6-0
Archer City 5-2
Seymour 4-3
Quanah 3-3
Petrolia 2-5
Electra 0-7

Friday's Games: Petrolia @ Electra, Quanah @ Archer City, Windthorst @ Seymour

I'm assuming Mataska is their ace. How much could he pitch in the remainder of the season?

hardrockers
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:58 am

Windthorstfan wrote:District 9-2A Results
Archer City 6 Seymour 0 - Brady Kyle struck out 12 in the shut out
Quanah 7 Electra 6
Windthorst 18 Petrolia 4

Interestingly Mataska didn't pitch against Windthorst - they play Electra Friday who they previously defeated without him pitching. They play Seymour Tuesday and then close out the regular season the following Tuesday with Archer City.

Standings
Windthorst 6-0
Archer City 5-2
Seymour 4-3
Quanah 3-3
Petrolia 2-5
Electra 0-7

Friday's Games: Petrolia @ Electra, Quanah @ Archer City, Windthorst @ Seymour



I wouldn't waste Mataska against Windthorst. I wouldn't take a chance with Electra, and Or I take my chance at Seymour.

Electra is playing 100 times better ball than they did the first time around, they just don't have enough kids that can consistently hit the ball.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:15 am

hardrockers wrote:I wouldn't waste Mataska against Windthorst. I wouldn't take a chance with Electra, and Or I take my chance at Seymour.

Electra is playing 100 times better ball than they did the first time around, they just don't have enough kids that can consistently hit the ball.

Waste Mataska against Windthort? He held us in check in the 1st game - like you said don't need him Friday against Electra. His next appearance should be against Seymour with 6 days of rest between Tuesday and Tuesday outings!!! He did throw 30 pitches against Quanah on Tuesday but if he is on a throwing program that shouldn't have been too taxing as that is just a bullpen session. He threw 68 pitches against AC on 3/29.

I bet coaches just hate GC and being able to see pitch counts!!!

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:28 am

Blue bayou wrote:I'm assuming Mataska is their ace. How much could he pitch in the remainder of the season?

If I was coaching he would throw against Seymour and AC hoping you can "steal" one of those games. The problem is their offense against strong pitching struggles to score runs. If there is a playoff with Quanah for 4th he has to start that game I would think for them to have any chance to win so maybe you don't throw him against AC? I think a lot depends on what Quanah does against AC, Seymour, and Windthorst and whether Petrolia must win to get into a playoff with Quanah.

hardrockers
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:55 am

Windthorstfan wrote:
hardrockers wrote:I wouldn't waste Mataska against Windthorst. I wouldn't take a chance with Electra, and Or I take my chance at Seymour.

Electra is playing 100 times better ball than they did the first time around, they just don't have enough kids that can consistently hit the ball.

Waste Mataska against Windthort? He held us in check in the 1st game - like you said don't need him Friday against Electra. His next appearance should be against Seymour with 6 days of rest between Tuesday and Tuesday outings!!! He did throw 30 pitches against Quanah on Tuesday but if he is on a throwing program that shouldn't have been too taxing as that is just a bullpen session. He threw 68 pitches against AC on 3/29.

I bet coaches just hate GC and being able to see pitch counts!!!



He doesn't get run support, beating Windy without good run sport is tough. I would rest him, pitch him against Seymour, if you can't steal that one, you have to sit him in hopes for the playoff with Quanah.

It doesn't seem like many of the teams outside of Windthorst get consistent run support. It could be the districts downfall in the playoffs.

I am not exactly sure how the pitching overall compares though. I know the top 3-4 guys could win games in a lot of districts, but after that it seems like everyone is average to below average in pitching. Nothing against those guys at all.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:06 pm

hardrockers wrote:It doesn't seem like many of the teams outside of Windthorst get consistent run support. It could be the districts downfall in the playoffs.

I am not exactly sure how the pitching overall compares though. I know the top 3-4 guys could win games in a lot of districts, but after that it seems like everyone is average to below average in pitching. Nothing against those guys at all.

That's the thing in baseball and softball most playoff teams have a good ace, but ultimately what decides games is how well a team hits the ball against excellent pitching. How many of the batting averages reported are inflated due to little league scoring when it's actually a reach on error and thus not a hit? It shows up when you play good teams that don't boot the ball around the yard!! Our teams that have won state is was because they were able to hit the ball against good pitching.

I think the biggest problem in the district is after the "Ace" there is not a second pitcher consistent pitcher. Windthorst has a 1-2 punch with Humpert and Tackett and we have enough kids that throw strikes and get batters out. If you don't throw strikes Belcher is going to throw you for the sake of letting you play or get your turn!!! Outside of AC it seems like once teams get past their ACE they don't get decent pitching.

Barton started against AC and Windthorst the first time through the schedule. Barton threw 104 pitches on Friday against AC before coming back against Windthorst Tuesday. I understand going with what got you there but in the 7th inning and 5-2 the first batters get on Barton is already over a 100 pitches and in my book you are done and I have to go with someone else to try and close it out. Instead he stuck with and "miraculously" he gets out of the inning with game tied having thrown 130 pitches. Granted they had a chance to win in the 8th but the new pitcher walked the first two batters and we tied the game back up without a "hit" although the batter beat out a sac bunt attempt for a base hit.

Wheels churning here if you are Seymour do you throw Barton on 2 days rest against Windthorst having thrown 95 pitches yesterday or do you hold him out and throw him against Petrolia the next Tuesday? Seymour's #2?? beat Petrolia 11-4 in the first match-up - Mataska didn't pitch in the 1st game I would expect him not to throw against Electra and to pitch on Tuesday at least that is what I would if I was coaching!!!

User avatar
Philo Beddoe
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Shiner
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Philo Beddoe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:27 am

I think that's where Region 4 shines, I know that Weimar, Flatonia, Shiner, Refugio, and Riviera all have 2 very good pitchers, their #2's would be #1's on most 2A clubs. Like you said, it comes down to who can get the timely hits on those guys. I know all these teams have the luxury of pitching a guy on Tues and the other on Friday. It's pretty hard on a young arm to throw 104 on a Friday and 130 on a Tuesday, I know for a fact our Coach wouldn't even think of doing that.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:28 am

Philo Beddoe wrote:It's pretty hard on a young arm to throw 104 on a Friday and 130 on a Tuesday

We faced a pitcher back in '05 threw 100 or so pitches in their 5-0 win in game 1, we beat them in Game 2 to force a game 3, but it was postponed 2-3 days due to weather so the first pitcher was able to come back he threw 160-170 pitches in a 2-1 11 inning win. The next year we played them again we held our ace for game 2 so they whipped us the first game and the second game was back and forth and they took a lead in the 5th inning so they attempted to slam the door shut by bringing back their ace. He wasn't as sharp and we battled to take the lead but an error allowed their lead off batter(the ace) to get on and that extra out allowed them to come back and win the game as we couldn't get the final out of the inning.

User avatar
Philo Beddoe
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Shiner
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Philo Beddoe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:48 pm

I know there are times when you wanna use the best chance you have to win. I know our aces have pitched Game 1's before and have come back to save a Game 2 or 3. I just hear about too many kids getting to college and their arms are shot, that's the part that concerns me. What you wrote about above is just crazy.

hardrockers
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:34 am

Windthorstfan wrote:
Philo Beddoe wrote:It's pretty hard on a young arm to throw 104 on a Friday and 130 on a Tuesday

We faced a pitcher back in '05 threw 100 or so pitches in their 5-0 win in game 1, we beat them in Game 2 to force a game 3, but it was postponed 2-3 days due to weather so the first pitcher was able to come back he threw 160-170 pitches in a 2-1 11 inning win. The next year we played them again we held our ace for game 2 so they whipped us the first game and the second game was back and forth and they took a lead in the 5th inning so they attempted to slam the door shut by bringing back their ace. He wasn't as sharp and we battled to take the lead but an error allowed their lead off batter(the ace) to get on and that extra out allowed them to come back and win the game as we couldn't get the final out of the inning.



I talked to a coach the other day who was talking about Seymour's state run in 2008, and he was talking about how Holub was just ridiculous and pitched the first game of the series, and the 3rd, both complete games. Exciting stuff, and the will to win.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:34 pm

Archer City 7 Quanah 0
Petrolia 21 Electra 6
Windthorst 2 Seymour 0

Standings
Windthorst 7-0
Archer City 6-2
Seymour 4-4
Quanah 3-4
Petrolia 3-5
Electra 0-8

Tackett threw a one hitter and struck out 8. Seymour's lead off batter reached on an error to start the B1 and reached 2nd with 1 out but would be stranded. Seymour wouldn't have another base runner until a lead off single in the 7th who would advance to 2nd on a 1 out ground out but would again be stranded.

Trojans would get the games first hit in the top of fourth as Lindley would lead off with a single steal 2nd and 3rd. Humpert would do the damage hitting a double on a 1-2 count for the games first run. Lindley would draw a one out walk in the Top of the 6th, steal 2nd and be moved to 3rd on a sacrifice. Next batter reached on error bringing in the run.

Barton threw 95 pitches Friday after throwing 95 Tuesday. I would expect him to be on the hill tomorrow to face Petrolia and Mataska who hasn't pitched officially since Apr 1 against Quanah. Three teams battling for 3rd and 4th and all play each other with Quanah also having to face Windthorst twice.

1st Match-up scores
Seymour 11 Petrolia 4 neither teams "ace" pitched
Quanah 2 Petrolia 0 Mataska pitched for Petrolia
Seymour 9 Quanah 8 Barton did not pitch

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:21 am

Heck of a game in south Texas last night as Weimar defeated Flatonia 2-0. Weimar scored in the top of the 1st as the batter hit a triple into the gap. There was a fake tag on the play and runner was awarded an extra base for the run. That would be the only run needed as Sembera would allow only one hit striking out 9 while scattering 3 BB.

Flatonia's best threat to score came in the 4th inning as the lead off batter walked moved to 2nd on a ground out, following a K, the baserunner stole 3rd, the batter would walk putting runners on the corner, but the next batter would strike out on a full count ending the threat. Flatonia would break up the no-hitter in the bottom of the 6th as they got a lead off single, who moved up to second on passed ball but a strikeout, F-5, and a strikeout ended the inning.

Weimar would get an insurance run in the bottom of 6th as they would get an one out single, followed by a double to score the run.

Flores would strike out 9 for Flatonia, while allowing 4 hits and 3 walks in 6 innings of work.

hardrockers
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:46 am

Quanah put the ball in play a lot against Hargis the other night, just nothing hit hard to cause problems. A couple of what I would score as errors in the first inning allowed most of Archers runs, after that, Leija pretty much had them on lock down. They did a good job of taking advantage of the opportunities they did have early. Quanah couldn't string together base runners, had a chance at 1 run, and the base runner didn't run with 2 outs on a ball hit in the right-center gap.

TEXASHOLDEM
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 am
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:07 am

Harper vs Center Point was a hell of a game Friday night. Center Point scored 1 in the top of the 1st/ Harper scored 1 in the bottom of the 7th and Center Point scored 1 in the top of the 10th. Center Point pitcher had 22 k's striking out the last 3 batters of the game.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:30 am

TEXASHOLDEM wrote:Harper vs Center Point was a hell of a game Friday night. Center Point scored 1 in the top of the 1st/ Harper scored 1 in the bottom of the 7th and Center Point scored 1 in the top of the 10th. Center Point pitcher had 22 k's striking out the last 3 batters of the game.

Wow - threw 151 pitches according to Harper's GC

TEXASHOLDEM
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 am
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:30 pm

Kid was unbelievable... but they have 3 starters and he probably won't pitch until Tuesday. He was out of the game as the pitcher then we scored in the 10th took his catching gear off and went back out and struck out 3!!! He also broke two catchers mitts....

User avatar
Philo Beddoe
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Shiner
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Philo Beddoe » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:04 pm

Weimar pretty much secured the #1 seed and District Championship with their win against Flatonia last night. That's good by me, I'd rather be in the #2 or #3 spot, let Weimar and Refugio get after it before we would have to play them again. Shiner has Weimar Friday and Flatonia next Tuesday, hope we can get the timely hits this time around. Sembera from Weimar has deep Shiner roots, both his parents are Shiner Alumni. His grandfather pitched for the Astros and his uncle pitched for the Expos, so he has the bloodline, lol.

Bearcat77
Posts: 2515
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:55 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Bearcat77 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:57 pm

[quote="Philo Beddoe"]Weimar pretty much secured the #1 seed and District Championship with their win against Flatonia last night. That's good by me, I'd rather be in the #2 or #3 spot, let Weimar and Refugio get after it before we would have to play them again../quote]


..is this somewhat accurate? :-? ?..also what happen w/Moulton ? :?: ?
Division 28-2a Standings - 2016

District Overall....W-L..W-L-T
Weimar Wildcats..7-0..10-5-0
Flatonia Bulldogs..7-2..14-2-0
Shiner Comanches.5-2..13-4-0
Schulenburg Shorthorns..4-3..7-9-0
Ganado Indians............2-5..5-15-0
Moulton Bobkatz...........0-0..0-0-0
Fayetteville Lions.........1-8..2-11-0
Louise Hornets.............0-6..0-11-0



http://txhighschoolbaseball.com/2a/28-2a/

User avatar
Philo Beddoe
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Shiner
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Philo Beddoe » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:33 pm

Moulton doesn't field a baseball team. Shiner is 7-2, and 15-4 overall.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:47 am

Archer City 10 Electra 0
Windthorst 10 Quanah 0 Kross Humpert tosses no-hitter striking out 11
Petrolia-Seymour PPD to Friday Mataska v Barton

Standings
Windthorst 8-0 *With two wins over AC clinches District Championship
Archer City 7-2
Seymour 4-4
Quanah 3-5
Petrolia 3-5
Electra 0-9

hardrockers
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:56 am

Windthorstfan wrote:Archer City 10 Electra 0
Windthorst 10 Quanah 0 Kross Humpert tosses no-hitter striking out 11
Petrolia-Seymour PPD to Friday Mataska v Barton

Standings
Windthorst 8-0 *With two wins over AC clinches District Championship
Archer City 7-2
Seymour 4-4
Quanah 3-5
Petrolia 3-5
Electra 0-9



5 good defensive innings from Quanah, then fell apart. Can't hit good pitching.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:10 pm

Some interesting results tonight
Shiner 8 Weimar 4
Petrolia 6 Seymour 1
Port Aransas 2 Refugio 0

User avatar
Philo Beddoe
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Shiner
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Philo Beddoe » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:41 am

Windthorstfan wrote:Some interesting results tonight
Shiner 8 Weimar 4
Petrolia 6 Seymour 1
Port Aransas 2 Refugio 0


Shiner got the timely hits this time around, plus our stud's back isn't affecting him anymore. Sembera not pitching against us didn't hurt either. We are scheduled to play for 2nd tomorrow night against Flatonia, but doubt that's gonna happen til later in the week. This should work out great for us, we'll come back with our ace against them and I like our chances. Gonna be a fun Region 4, lots of real good baseball teams about to go at it.

Bearcat77
Posts: 2515
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:55 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Bearcat77 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:57 am

Windthorstfan wrote:Some interesting results tonight
Shiner 8 Weimar 4
Petrolia 6 Seymour 1
Port Aransas 2 Refugio 0



UR (8-7) Port Aransas 2-0 #2 Refugio (14-1)

User avatar
Philo Beddoe
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Shiner
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Philo Beddoe » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:36 am

Yeah, that one was the shocker of the night.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:28 am

With Petrolia's win over Seymour the standings in 9-2A are as follows:

Standings
Windthorst 8-0
Archer City 7-2
Petrolia 4-5
Seymour 4-5
Quanah 3-5
Electra 0-9

Tuesday's games:
Electra @ Windthorst, Petrolia @ Archer City, Seymour @ Quanah

Friday's game:
Quanah @ Windthorst

Barton didn't pitch against Petrolia so I would assume he will be on the bump against Quanah in a game that would clinch a playoff spot. Barton didn't pitch in the first match-up a 9-8 Seymour win.

hardrockers
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:51 am

Seymour pitched 2 freshmen against Petrolia. Ouch.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:23 am

hardrockers wrote:Seymour pitched 2 freshmen against Petrolia. Ouch.

The young man that started for Seymour beat Petrolia in their first match-up 11-4 as he scattered 8 hits and walked 2 through 7 innings. Wasn't as sharp in the second game as he 6 hits and 2 walks in 5 innings but plunked 4 others!!! He also didn't get the run support with Mataksa on the hill.

User avatar
Philo Beddoe
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Shiner
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Philo Beddoe » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:50 am

Flatonia beat Shiner last night 8-6 to secure the #2 seed. It was a very sloppy game for us, we committed 6 costly errors and you're not gonna beat a solid team like that. Flatonia hits the ball well, and run the bases aggressively. Let's get the playoffs started, like I told my son, Flatonia won State last year from the 3rd seed in our District, anything can happen.

TEXASHOLDEM
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 am
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:14 am

Johnson City beat Center Point 2-1 last night in 12 innings. #1 pitcher for JC pitched 11 innings with 19k's and 4 hits. #1 pitcher for CP pitched 9 innings with 18 k's and 5 hits. #2 pitcher pitched the last 2 2/3 innings with 6 k's. JC scored in the bottom of the 12th on a bloop single to RF that got by the out fielder. It was a heck of a game to watch.

User avatar
Philo Beddoe
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Shiner
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Philo Beddoe » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 am

TEXASHOLDEM wrote:Johnson City beat Center Point 2-1 last night in 12 innings. #1 pitcher for JC pitched 11 innings with 19k's and 4 hits. #1 pitcher for CP pitched 9 innings with 18 k's and 5 hits. #2 pitcher pitched the last 2 2/3 innings with 6 k's. JC scored in the bottom of the 12th on a bloop single to RF that got by the out fielder. It was a heck of a game to watch.


Sounds like one helluva game to watch, one of those where you hate for someone to lose. I'm hearing the UIL is considering a 110 pitch limit for high school pitchers next year, which would make a game like this impossible to play out as it did.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:02 am

TEXASHOLDEM wrote:Johnson City beat Center Point 2-1 last night in 12 innings. #1 pitcher for JC pitched 11 innings with 19k's and 4 hits. #1 pitcher for CP pitched 9 innings with 18 k's and 5 hits. #2 pitcher pitched the last 2 2/3 innings with 6 k's. JC scored in the bottom of the 12th on a bloop single to RF that got by the out fielder. It was a heck of a game to watch.


Pitch Count Limits are coming - if not next year 2018. Throwing 160 pitches won't be allowed anymore.

The proposal, which would limit players age 17-19 to 110 pitches in a game and those age 14-16 to 95 pitches in a game, could be adopted in June by the UIL legislative council.

Here is what Medical Advisory Committee has recommended:
Pitches Days Rest
0-30.........0
31-45.......1
46-65.......2
66-85.......3
86-110......4

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-sc ... t-pitching

I would anticipate some pushback from THS Baseball Coaches Assoc.

TEXASHOLDEM
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 am
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby TEXASHOLDEM » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:06 am

I've heard the same thing but how will they monitor it? What about their select teams? What about their fall teams? What about the ones that have private pitching coaches and their bullpen sessions?

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:16 am

TEXASHOLDEM wrote:I've heard the same thing but how will they monitor it? What about their select teams? What about their fall teams? What about the ones that have private pitching coaches and their bullpen sessions?

UIL only cares about UIL!! Those other teams are generally under pitching limitations. UIL is late to the "party" as most HS associations already have limits. If a private coach is worth his weight he will know what you are throwing and tailor back his program to include the throwing in games.

hardrockers
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:17 am

A high school coach worth his weight limits pitches already.

hardrockers
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:58 am

Quanah defeats Seymour 4-1, if Archer Beats Petrolia, there is an awkward 3 ways tie for 3rd-4th now.

User avatar
Philo Beddoe
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Shiner
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Philo Beddoe » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:07 am

hardrockers wrote:A high school coach worth his weight limits pitches already.


Agreed, I know our High School coach simply would not pitch a kid 160 pitches, he may let them go 120, but there comes a time when you gotta say when. Too many high school kids get to the next level and their arms are shot, and he being an ex college pitcher is well aware of that.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:58 am

hardrockers wrote:Quanah defeats Seymour 4-1, if Archer Beats Petrolia, there is an awkward 3 ways tie for 3rd-4th now.

Quanah plays Windthorst tonight. With a win they would clinch 3rd granted Quanah threw their ace last night against Seymour. Pretty sure Quanah had a couple of kids miss last weeks game against Windthorst due to the Regional Golf Tournament.

Any idea what the tie-breakers are? Coin flip? Odd man wins third, other two teams play for 4th? Or Odd man plays for 4th against loser of game between other teams? Granted it all be me moot if Petrolia finds a way to beat AC or Quanah beats Windthorst.

hardrockers
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:09 am

The same kids are choosing to miss tonights game against Windthorst also to go to state golf TOMORROW.

The tie breaker I am pretty sure is the coin toss, odd man gets a bye, then a 3 team tourney for the 2 spots. But Archer/Petrolia isn't till Monday, start really causing a time crunch because of that. No idea why they aren't playing tonight or tomorrow, I guess so Mataska can get a full rest and pitch again. Ha.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:40 am

hardrockers wrote:The same kids are choosing to miss tonights game against Windthorst also to go to state golf TOMORROW.

The tie breaker I am pretty sure is the coin toss, odd man gets a bye, then a 3 team tourney for the 2 spots. But Archer/Petrolia isn't till Monday, start really causing a time crunch because of that. No idea why they aren't playing tonight or tomorrow, I guess so Mataska can get a full rest and pitch again. Ha.

Due to the weather Petrolia hasn't played since Friday, when they beat Seymour with Mataska on the mound. How much more rest do you need? I would think it better to play sooner than later so they will have him available to pitch in a playoff if necessary. They will be hampered if he can't throw in the tourney. Then again Quanah beat him in one of the games he pitched.

Golf Tournament isn't until Monday - travelling down early to get a round or two in before the tournament?

hardrockers
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:39 am

I guess they want to get a few rounds in.... No clue, not my area, just know our region hasn't been very successful once getting there.

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:53 am

Windthorst 12 Electra 2
Windthorst 15 Quanah 0

Standings
Windthorst 10-0
Archer City 7-2
Petrolia 4-5
Seymour 4-6
Quanah 4-6
Electra 0-10

Petrolia plays @ AC Monday - win and they finish 3rd in district and Seymour and Quanah would play for 4th. If they lose there will be a 3 way for 2 playoff spots with all three teams have split the games between them.

The Trainer
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:43 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby The Trainer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:13 pm

The Region IV winner has been a team from [the current] district 28 since 2012. Half the games in that district are playoff games and they usually have pretty deep pitching.

District 28 - 4 straight state appearances; 6 straight regional finals appearances
2015-Flatonia (champ)
2014-Flatonia (runner-up)
2013-Weimar (semis)
2012-Fayetteville (champ)
2011-Shiner lost to Johnson City (champ) in 3 games in regional finals (1A)
2010-Weimar lost to Rogers (champ) in 2 games in regional finals (2A)

hardrockers
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:39 am

Windthorstfan wrote:Windthorst 12 Electra 2
Windthorst 15 Quanah 0

Standings
Windthorst 10-0
Archer City 7-2
Petrolia 4-5
Seymour 4-6
Quanah 4-6
Electra 0-10

Petrolia plays @ AC Monday - win and they finish 3rd in district and Seymour and Quanah would play for 4th. If they lose there will be a 3 way for 2 playoff spots with all three teams have split the games between them.



So, the 3 way tie happened, coin toss happened, Quanah got the bye in the 3 way tournament, and is in the playoffs. Petrolia and Seymour play tonight to decide who will play against Quanah for 3rd and 4th

User avatar
Windthorstfan
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Windthorstfan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:00 am

hardrockers wrote:So, the 3 way tie happened, coin toss happened, Quanah got the bye in the 3 way tournament, and is in the playoffs. Petrolia and Seymour play tonight to decide who will play against Quanah for 3rd and 4th

Should be Barton v Mataska tonight and hope you can piece enough pitching together for the Quanah game. When will that game take place?

hardrockers
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 pm
Location:
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby hardrockers » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:06 am

Windthorstfan wrote:
hardrockers wrote:So, the 3 way tie happened, coin toss happened, Quanah got the bye in the 3 way tournament, and is in the playoffs. Petrolia and Seymour play tonight to decide who will play against Quanah for 3rd and 4th

Should be Barton v Mataska tonight and hope you can piece enough pitching together for the Quanah game. When will that game take place?



Monday in Henrietta, no matter who wins tonight I do believe. So by it being Monday, Barton or Mataska will probably be available either way. Loser of the second game gets Chico, which I don't think anyone wants really.

User avatar
Philo Beddoe
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Shiner
Status: Offline

Re: 2016 Baseball

Postby Philo Beddoe » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:22 pm

The Trainer wrote:The Region IV winner has been a team from [the current] district 28 since 2012. Half the games in that district are playoff games and they usually have pretty deep pitching.

District 28 - 4 straight state appearances; 6 straight regional finals appearances
2015-Flatonia (champ)
2014-Flatonia (runner-up)
2013-Weimar (semis)
2012-Fayetteville (champ)
2011-Shiner lost to Johnson City (champ) in 3 games in regional finals (1A)
2010-Weimar lost to Rogers (champ) in 2 games in regional finals (2A)


We had some good games in District 28 this year as well, hopefully Shiner can pull a Flatonia and get on a roll and make a run from the #3 seed. But there are 2 very solid teams lurking down South as well, Refugio and Riviera. Whoever represents Region 4 will come out tested, that much is for sure.


Return to “Texas Baseball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron